What an American thinks of French unions!

"the civil service sets the precedent for short working hours, early retirement, ridiculously long sick leave and so on"

Brian, If this was a French only problem then as a residentItax payer 'd be a bit upset. The really big problem though is that this is EU wide, not least of all in Brussels where eurocrats have the shortest hours, the earliest retirement, the longest sick leave AND are tax free. They are setting the benchmark in inefficiency for national public services.

I've started watching re-runs of Yes Minister. Now that I'm older and more experienced it is even funnier (or more tragic?).

You are completely correct Norman, companies have long recognised the emerging difficulties and started sidle out of France. A few years ago my old firm, after decades in Paris, decided to move their European HQ from La Defense to Madrid. It is a great pity because it is not recoverable.

Very sad Celeste. People that have no sense of ownership of their own futures.

Well, yes. In a way there is little to add. We have a 'problem' in that EU law is largely 'regurgitated' Code Napoleon in substance and style and suits all of the countries whose laws are variants of that system (Germany and Poland, for instance although it is 'Roman Law' from which CN is derived, before looking south...) because it is made of hard laws that are as they are writ and not Anglo-Saxon Common Law with its ability to change or evolve laws on a case by case basis. I did some anthropology of law and human rights law courses over the years for professional reasons and agree with lawyer friends who say that 'the law' is clearer when you are not immersed in it but make assumptions from the sidelines. The assumptions are usually wrong but do not draw people into an endless paper chase for where statute or precedent begin and from whence valid to where they are now... Large corporations have teams of lawyers who work on just these issues and no doubt the Grizz included. Although many politicians are lawyers, at least have legal training, too many lack actual day by day experience of how to use it. Thus, we look to them to guide and make law and they fumble into deeper waters. Ironically, look at the UK right now and the lack of lawyers in the cabinet compared with the past and then work out why they are making messes left, right and centre that are quite easy to challenge. In France it is harder, just add 'loi X' to the publication of a 'new' or revived law and it is swallowed. Challenge it and a long court case follows which will always be odds against the complainant.

As for the French employment situation, the civil service sets the precedent for short working hours, early retirement, ridiculously long sick leave and so on which being the largest single employer is the standard everybody wants. The brick wall is there and the only ways of dealing with walls are jump over, pull down or lean against. The last one has so many interests leaning against the wall there is almost no space for the jump or to get a demolition gang in!

John,

I was watching France 24 the other day and they did a comparison of work situations and productivity comparing the UK, France, Italy and Germany. Obviously assuming they had an Agenda (French channel) plus trusting that stage beyond lies - statistics, it was nonetheless interesting. I THINK the figures were produced through the OECD, but I could be mistaken there.

I can't remember the details, but it covered Official of days Annual holidays (not sickies), Number of hours worked, Cost per hour of a worker, and Productive Cost of a worker. In not one case was France in the Lead (or worst whichever way you want to read it).

As I say with the above Caveats, it showed a variance that would be expected. The French worker is not more expensive than the others, was middle placed in official holidays - I think UK was highest here from memory, and was actually near the top in productive cost.

However I agree that appearances would appear to contradict a lot of this, and was prepared with an agenda in mind - responding to the 'Grizz' I suppose. And we all know that Perceptions are Truths to most people who hold them.

I am certain of one thing though - there was definitely nothing to identify these figures with the Public Service. However, as is the case with Law generally we have to recognise that this is what Government's do - create new laws, not the civil servants, although that is not the case in the EU, where the Commission is the tail wagging the dog.

If we consider all the States and the EC, and the PC mentality all creating Laws, Statutes and Regulations on a daily basis, there has to be some sympathy for the civil servant. They are not employed to show initiative but to 'follow the rules'. When you take a look at the 'Code Civile' books, it is stunning that these are renewed each year and run into many thousands of pages. As far as I can see, there is little time spent weeding out old or redundant laws, so there is a whole mess out there, and open through confusion to misinterpretation by individuals.

Dealing with the French in particular is like battling through an old garden that hasn't been weeded for a hundred years. If I am correct, the Napoleonic code does not operate on a 'precedent judgement' in Criminal Law, but on an 'actual Law' that covers the specific situation. If such a Law does not exist and a sitaution identified a Law (statute, call it what you will) is then placed on the books to cover that SPECIFIC case, which may or may not be applicable ever again. I am not a Lawyer, so this is offered as my understanding and not from any level of expertise.

However it did form part of my Lecture series 'Going International', in which I suggested there were Four main areas, called 'environments' to consider before committing to another country 1) Economic, 2) Political, 3) Legal and 4) Cultural.

I would suggest that Companies are not bad at going through these areas, whereas we as individuals are often led by dreams, and hopes where it would probably make more sense to consider our fears a little more. Neither Companies nor individuals will ever get everything right, but it's a start.

In which order would you put the 4? Personally, I think you need to start with the Cultural, then the Political, Economic and Legal, but that's a personal position only. I am sure others would (and did) disagree.

I DO genuinely believe that the Culture of seemingly aggressive street marches, and the trashing of factories does not provide an attractive perception to foreign companies - despite the assurances of Mountebank et al. PLUS the images of the Government politicians often in the front rows is almost bizarre.

As usual, there are only differences in detail, but Kafkaesque absurdities of authorities are always coming up with a surprise. eg as German passport holder I can enjoy a relatively short and fast issuing of this very much needed paper, - although the authorities are demanding all sorts of papers, the passport does not cost 160 £ but "only" 70 €. That's it then...

When it comes to other regulations sometimes you can run fast out of patience: my relatives had been nagging at me as I was not washing the plastic yogurt cup before throwing it in the specially designated trash bin. As usual the water pays the consumer, not the yogurt maker ... Germans say its environmentally friendly and all sort of other crap

And really very bad it is getting when it comes to monitoring your business activities. This typical German obsession will never change. You can spend easily a morning at cambers of commerce and council houses (or employ a lawyer) because the former GDR citizens have taken over the country. They whine about everything exactly like people here. Its simply an unimaginable mess of administrative hurdles. This continuous obligation to disclose all of what you do has driven many small entrepreneurs and inventors to places like Scandinavia or as far as Singapore and Brazil. Only I was naive enough to believe in France would be all easy going ;-)...

To some extent right. My son works for Allianz in Germany and I would say that he is as busy doing nothing and proud of it as any French employee. However, the public sector in Germany works and runs the country efficient, here it does not work and is running the country down.

In my personal experience the German offices of my old company were no more productive nor hardworking than the French ones. I think this is fundamentally a Public Sector issue. It would be usefulI if there was some form of measurement or benchmarking that could be used to compare the productivity of the German and French Public Sectors? Is there?

The trouble is that although it is a polemic, like many polemics it is profoundly true. I imagine the Bundespresident recently making a speech in which he said that English should become the common language of the EU last week does not go down well here either. But in terms of internationalism it is also right.

Celeste, the question these days is: How much truth can a politician express? If he wants to survive, apparently as good as none. Actually Fuchs is quite right, but then Europe is becoming a commune of pharisees. When fonctionnaires can indulge with a serene retirement at the age 50 or 55, but the rest of the people must sweat away up to an age of 65 is this simply not fair. This is exactly the recipe why so many (25%) voted for a comedian in Italy and most likely Madame LePen will attract more voter here in France...

The DM was not the benchmark when the Euro was floated but against the US$ as it was the bankers' preferred reserve currency. The DM was artificially devalued, or as you say deflated? I was of the opinion reading Rudolf Bahro's analysis that it was overvalued to put Germany up with the dollar and sterling, since it was originally assumed that the UK was gently slide from ERM membership to common currency. As we know, that went wrong and Europe has cursed Lamont's name since. In fact, had sterling been replaced by the Euro the majority of analysts think the UK would be where Germany is now but that several countries such as Greece would never have come in.

As for whether that closing comment about USA Asia, meaning China and India, is twaddle or not remains to be seen. If the Euro goes awry and Euro goes then that may well be the case. Read what Harvard's economics department are saying about the BRICKS. They added the K and capitalised the S, must be a reason, well K = Korea but S? Is it Singapore or? They are not explaining why no longer BRICs and having watched US economics for some decades they always have a reason.

I have just read the article again and I have to say it is tabloid twaddel. The closing comment was.....

"If the Europeans hesitate too long, America may switch its focus towards Asia with even greater vigor."

That is completely inane.

I don't want to be cynical Celeste but could this be as a result of the artificially deflated Deutschmark that the rest of the EU is picking that tab for? When push comes to shove (and that might be sooner than we think) we need a sound agriculture sector, can't eat VWs, Audis or Mercs. Ireland is already paying for the greed and stupidity of German (and French) bankers why should any concessions be agreed that only benefit German industry? I'm happy to drive their cars (I have several of them) but I don't want to live the German dream of arbeit macht frei.

Maybe Burnhope by name and burn hope by nature :-) David?

You are totally correct Celeste. Sean Lemass (maybe the only Irish politician I have any respect for) said of semi state enterprises that it was important to ensure that having been set up for the benefit of the State that they didn't just become vehicles for the benefit of their employees. This certainly proved to be the fate of Aer Lingus, the ESB, Aer Rianta to mention just a few. I also believe it is the fate of the EU. There are far too many fat, dumb (albeit hight educated) and lazy Public Sector employees EU wide. Interestingly the countries in most difficulties, Ireland, Portugal and Greece have the highest paid Public Sectors.

The Chinese are dependent on selling to the west (and thier elite) but are not selling to thier own peasant populations. Pull the rug out from manufacturing exports either through currency wars or embargos and the peasants revolt at home. Genius really to purchase the port facilities and fish are cheap protein sources.

Celeste, I'm old enough to remember the panic about impending japanese dominance in the seventies. I have no doubt that some unexpected event will derail the Chinese. That is not to say that Europe shouldn't get it's act together ASAP. First action should be to fire 50% of the Public Service, but which half? (ho ho).

Historically correct. They are moving toward a free market economy which is making the Yuan a very buoyant and competitive currency. Economists have already said that that is precisely the reason the USA wants the Euro to succeed and see a two currency alliance support dollar dominance. As it stands, Chinese banks and those with their deposits internationally are in credit still, unlike just about everybody else. The difference between feudal China until the 1930s and over 80 years later is as was written by a Sinologist in 2008 or 9, that they have 4x4 cars, flat screen TVs and fat bellies and China is seeing poverty decline as against the western world seeing a massive increase. I tend to think Celeste is closer to the situation in the now Chris than what history might tell us.

How? The United States is heading again straight to the "Fiscal Cliff" if Republicans and Democrats do not get their act by Friday together. The US is effectively threated by austerity measures in the military as well as layoffs for for ca 800.000 civilian servants in the military service. The number of redundancies in the military industry will be surly much, much more. Board cuts will come automatically into force without even any new political representation. For the period of the next 10 years they make up for US$ 1.2 trillion alone and for the current fiscal year, which ends in September, it's about cuts totaling $ 85 billion. That's why I think the is no point in rushing into such trade agreements with the US at this stage. These "trans-national sovereign investments" can try but they will "suicide" like GM with Opel in Germany closing down little by little and helping them is like to grab into a falling knife.

Thier homefronts are not as secure as thier leadership would like and the chinese pesants have a history of turning the tables on the Emperors and ruling elites. They are vulnerable to currency devaluation- export collapse within the country.