What did you wish you’d brought or left behind

Vero I had begun to suspect that. So I’m glad you said so. I had begun to think the average home cook here leaves baking to the professionals. They are missing out on a lot.

We use Fervex which I believe has the same ingredients as Lemsip.

1 Like

What a great idea! Thanks. I’ve just googled - some interesting stuff comes up. Though I think you posted to me not to import a UK car and buy one in France - less hassle? If it was someone else - no worries!

parents? :wink:

1 Like

Try Fervex for lemsip there is another generic made by Mylan

Hi Mark, “Moving principle home to France / once resident” - in your opinion is that a residence thing or an actual home long term thing e.g. home purchase - we’ve now got the CdS’s now but rented then took a break, do you think our ships have sailed on import duties? I seem to recall you thought so before, but might have had some luck asking for a quitus fiscal, the UK car being in france for some 10 months.

Thinking just as withdrawal agreement residency might be different from tax residency might it also be different for customs car tax duty ?

That car is now back in the UK, and am considering the forum advice - buy car in France, however the interesting idea of buying a LHD in UK and then taking that to France has popped up as suggested by @Gareth

I had a car sat in a garage in France prior to Brexit. I moved to France just before Brexit. I then applied for a quitus fiscal for the car after Brexit and was told by the issuing body that I would have to go through the ‘non-European’ customs process as my application was post Brexit. I went to the customs folks and they said that if the car was in France before Brexit and I was effectively resident before Brexit I could still obtain a quitus fiscal. So I went back to the issuing body for the quitus fiscal and provided proof that the vehicle was in France prior to Brexit and they issued the necessary quitus fiscal - BIG RELIEF! Hope this helps in some way :smiley:

Doesn’t taste right! All these things are is paracetamol and an antihistamine/decongestant, so 50% of the effect is psychological…so works nest when just the same as what yijr Mum gave you.

Thanks for the encouragement! We’ve got the ferry pass for madames car in December 2020 and the CdS so hey maybe we could do that - but I think she wants to keep that car for use in the UK. But it could change the cost dynamic - especially if she decides she prefers RHD!

Do remember Mark Rimmer (and others) mentioning though there was a 6 month cut-off?

Well I applied for the quitus fiscal in Jan 2022, so over a year since Brexit, and it was accepted :+1:

Cool - another string to our bows!

I always add a big spoon of honey to my Lemsip / Fervex, so they both taste OK to me.

1 Like

The honey goes in the whisky that follows.

6 Likes

I think you might have been very lucky… one was supposed to go the official-import route and get the car registration changed to French Immatriculation within 1 month of the car coming into France… (albeit, finalising the actual documentation can take longer)… the Douane’s bit needed doing first thing… and they liked to know the mileage/kilometrage on the clock when the car “hit” France…

I had exactly the same experience. It was easier to get quitus fiscale in November 21 than in January 21. They didn’t know what to do in January but in November they just asked when the vehicle came over and for proof of that.

1 Like

When did the vehicle come over…??

Although I’ve now only been in France a relatively short time, what I’m very very quickly learning is that there does appear to be somewhat of a very large gap between ‘what should happen’ and ‘what does happen’ :grinning: It strikes me that if every rule and regulation was complied with fastidiously, the country would most likely grind to a rather significant, and rapid, halt!

2 Likes

If one is “controlled” by the gendarmes and ones vehicle documents are not in order… one might wish one had been a little more fastidious… :wink:

Not wishing to start a row, but when things are supposed to be done and are not rocket science to get done, I can’t see the point in not doing them.

Anyway… the snow has stopped and all is well with this little part of the world…

night night

Both of them came over in December 2020. We were originally planning to take the VW back but couldn’t because of Covid. So we did the Citroen in January 2021 and have only just done the VW. Got quitus fiscale in November, got FFVE attestation but struggled to get affordable insurance. Went with Fabien in the end. VW has not been used on the road since 2020 apart from going to CT.

1 Like

A nice little story, so we all sleep well and have a smile - when I purchased my quad shortly after arriving last year, I visited the seller’s house at the agreed due time. I was greeted by a delightful little old lady and her equally delightful young grandson. The grandson kindly asked if I wanted to have a test ride, which I obviously did. The quad had done extraordinarily low mileage for the year, so I asked why, and the delightful grandson mentioned that the owner of the quad, his late grandfather, hadn’t actually used it much. The condition of the quad did tell a rather different story! Anyway, prior to actually going for a test ride he said, oh do be careful as it’s not actually insured, to which I was a little confused as having understood that all vehicles needed to be insured. Anyway, test ride finished, we loaded the quad onto my trailer as I agreed the purchase. At which point I remembered to ask why the speedo and mileometer weren’t apparently working. At which point the delightful grandson asked if I actually wanted the speedo/mileometer cable connected - to which I rather shockingly replied, of course. It now dawned on my why the mileage was so incredibly low :wink: We proceeded inside the little old lady’s house, the former quad owner’s wife, inviting me to have a cup of coffee to which I replied yes. We chitchatted away convivially and I asked out of interest what the delightful young man did for a living. He said he was a gendarme, and his grandfather, the delightful old lady’s late husband, was a traffic gendarme. So I was actually quite surprised that the gendarmes themselves weren’t quite so fastidious, but maybe they were the exception :wink: And I think the cherry on the icing is that, since owning the ‘very low mileage’ quad, I’ve had to replace quite a shoppjng list of parts - hurrah! Bon nuit!

5 Likes