What do you LOVE about living in France?

Funny isn’t it? I used to find the shops closing at lunchtime incredibly frustrating and it took me years to get used to it - the downside of course, is how late the French finish working in the evening as a result. Now it’s just how it is. I often find myself having to bite my tongue when I have British clients who get huffy when I’m reluctant to arrange viewings with French sellers on a Sunday, or during lunchtime.

Hi Peta

I love the fact that the shops shut at lunchtime and are mostly closed on Sundays, as opposed to the UK where everything is a commercial opportunity and shopping has become the national pastime. I also love the way people always seem ready to help each other out and keep an eye on their neighbours who might need a hand from time to time. This is probably less like this in towns, but I know that this sense of community is disappearing in British rural communities. The concept of ‘solidarité’ doesn’t translate so well in English!

I sometimes have bad dreams in which, for some reason, I find myself back in the UK…aaaaggh!

Good luck with the book x

I love that the children are growing up bilingual. That we live near to Paris and can go whenever we want to see museums or just walk about and enjoy the atmosphere. I still get excited when I see the Eiffel Tower looming up ahead, even after 5 years! I love that once you get to know French people they are very faithful and good friends who would do anything for you. I love the food and wine (of course) and that the school dinners are proper French food (even if my kids don’t always want to eat it). That holidays are important and taken seriously. That children are encouraged to be well-behaved, work hard and do well at school. That I have been able to restart music lessons at a good conservatoire, for very little cost (which wouldn’t be the case in England). Generally I think our quality of life is better and there is less emphasis on material things.

Brilliant Catharine! Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi Peta

Try this for starters - previous SFN discussion on the subject!

Cx

http://www.survivefrance.com/forum/topics/what-do-you-love-about-living?commentId=3339392%3AComment%3A697