What has brightened your day? -ongoing thread

Bill, it’s a second childhood toothwise! First it got a bit wobbly, then a bit sore, then more wobbly but not sore, then very wobbly, then “it’ll be OK to wriggle me out, Pete…” then out it popped. Just like a milk-tooth.

Bit gruesome, written down. But very natural, and in a way à metaphor for life itself, perhaps?

Pete :grinning:

1 Like

Pete, that was one great story.

I guess mine for today is: I finally got my one-year visa approval from the US. It arrived via courier today. I leave for France in October, will take a few months to look around and travel, then in January I settle into a year-long stay in Vasles. There are many challenges ahead of course, since I plan to stay in France for the rest of my life. But having the passport with the visa approval inside, in hand, makes things feel like they are truly moving forward. So. Much. Waiting. Now it’s on to a few more obligations for pet-sits and gardening and what not, here. I’ve booked the tickets. Just have to figure out the car situation. Bah, that’s peanuts and chicken feed… no, rather I should say that’s sheep food (since I’ll be living in sheep country, in Vasles…) Thinking of going for a trans-Siberia railway trip in October or November. Anyone done that? Perhaps I should start a new discussion thread and ask this, too… :sunny:

2 Likes

Don’t go to Siberia in November.

1 Like

Did you mean that seriously.

Or, are you being glib? :wink:

In the former case, have you experienced Siberia in November?

There was a fascinating blog from a rather extreme fellow, not doing the trans-Siberian rail but even more extreme than that in his choice of travel modes:

https://www.bootsnall.com/articles/stranded-in-no-mans-land-on-the-pamirs.html

Thanks Mary and your excitement is infectious and joyous! Congrats on getting that wished-for endorsement on your passport. Tous les agneaux et les brebis dans le Jardin des Agneaux vont te saluer “Bée !” lors de ton arrivée, “Soyez la bienvenue, Madame Couche-de-Lain!”

Surely you will be willing to share your experiences of arriving, settling in (in your own good time) and sharing your experiences of life in your new “forever home” (that’s a term I love, though it is very daring too).

My wife and I are nearly three years in to our life here, and still on the nursery slopes of adaptation. I have found the mental adjustments to living here with my wife, and without our family members in and out, very challenging on all sort of unexpected fronts, but very satisfying and absorbing too. Becoming barely proficient in French is, for me, both frustrating and fascinating, especially as the world of words and literature has always been my playground as well as a big part of my professional life.

Having an American perspective is, for me, a delicious treat to look forward to, so I hope you will find time to write, or blog, or whatever, and I’m sure that is true of the whole community here, not least the naughty ones, amongst whom I am a sticky-out stirrer-upper. :rofl::roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Pete, I do wonder if I should bring any wool layers, or just plan on buying them there. :thinking:

Oh, one way I could do this is to see if anyone would let me join a knitting group. Hah! Learn french (hopefully it would be a french-speaking group) and knit the layers myself. :grinning:

Love your posts. Cheers!

2 Likes

Plenty of interesting, quality clothing to be had at Vide Greniers here Mary, and at Emmaus outlets, I’m not talking ‘tat’, really good items.

Spent a wonderful day in the Charente with UK friends and their Japanese relations who are visiting France for the first time.

OH and I speak no Japanese and 6 of the 8 speak no English/French… but we conversed in the time honoured manner… miming and plenty of facial expressions…:hushed::wink::grin::thinking::roll_eyes::pensive::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :hugs:

The day went all too fast, but we have made some wonderful memories and are already looking forward to their next visit in a couple of years…

I fully intend to master a few words in Japanese, if only the basics …such as hello, how are you, please, thank you… etc etc… my pronunciation will probably have them in hysterics…but who cares… :relaxed:

Incidentally, they seemed impressed with my prowess with chopsticks… but as soon as I understood their praise… “my prowess” vanished… so, more laughter. :joy::rofl:

2 Likes

Having one of those days which reminded me for all its faults the NHS is still bloody good

1 Like

That my French partner , after being fitted with a special breathing mask, was last night able to pass a night without fear ( mine rather than his) of falling into a death sleep. He is being monitered via special built in chips and the machine automatically reacts when he doesn’t breath. Looks like it will make a big difference to us both. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wow, that sounds amazing Ann… so glad… anything that makes life more comfortable is a real bonus… :relaxed:

Amazing technology available Stella. He should begin to feel the real benefits after a few days and it will also help prevent AVC’s, heart conditions, have a positive effect on diabetis and make him feel less tired, and me less stressed.
He is one of those people who hates going to the doctor’s and will use home remedies and be in denial. A friend after knowing how worried I was, persuaded him to see a doctor. He was fitted, by the doctor, with a machine that monitored his breathing during one night. The following day he returned the machine to the surgery, the doctor downloaded all the info from the machine and when he saw the results rang my partner at home and said that it was urgent that he returned asap. Everything kicked into action quickly and despite the holidays a technician arrived a couple of days later and set up the machine and mask. Phew what a result :slight_smile:

6 Likes

and now you can (and must) relax a little… and get a good night’s sleep.

2 Likes

Bon courage to you both Ann!

1 Like

Saw a chap I know, in the supermarket car park… he stopped to chat…

How are You English today… still invading us… ??? :wink:

I pointed out that France invaded England way back when… and that at one time French was spoken by the Uppers in England…:relaxed:

Him: When was that…??? :thinking:
Me: Somewhere about 1066 possibly and odd times since then…:relaxed:

Him: Ah yes, and our General de Gaulle, he invaded your country… he went to your London .:relaxed:

Me: Yes, he did… and my father met him several times and said what a nice chap he was… :grin:

Him: De Gaulle was a great man, but… if it had not been for your little island we would be lost. :zipper_mouth_face::neutral_face:

Then he gave us both a huge hug and wandered off…

My day has brightened by about 0,0025 lumens with relief that I posted off my Double Tax Treaty claim form to HMRC, having had it (and a French copy) stamped at the local Finances Publiques office.

I have no idea whether it may result in a refund of UK income tax paid on my Teacher’s Pension, but at least I got my head round the procedure and think I ticked all the right boxes.

No idea of the illumination yielded by the little bit of lumen, but I think I can just see the end of my nose, that’s enough for now. :nose::end::thinking:

1 Like

Discovering that the laptop that hubby threw beer all over last night (accidentally) is still working this morning. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

My niece got a first in her midwifery degree

1 Like

Fabulous news! Well done your niece, what a great achievement :+1:

Bless her she has had a nightmare three years. The length of her training basically to through what she has gone through and get that degree I am so VERY VERY proud of her

2 Likes