What is ART? - any Artists out there?

I think I can answer that one: Health & Safety Rules &Regulations… that’s put the kibosh on all sorts of things… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::thinking::roll_eyes:

1 Like

I can understand your view, personally I haven’t much interest in visiting a facsimile copy. My understanding is that the font gaume site will close if the site is threatened and that time might be with us soon. It certainly isn’t open for commercial reasons alone as the entrance fee isn’t astronomical and numbers limited by the need for preservation.

You do make me laugh Stella…having witnessed 4 council workers called out to lift one paving slab…one man for each corner I do admit to having a wtf moment…

I could have lifted it myself and relaid it myself in a fraction of the time and at no cost…x :slight_smile:

1 Like

[quote=“Helen6, post:30, topic:24093, full:true”] "… we are all here on this beautiful planet…all unique expressions of source energy in a physical body/avatar is an art form in and of its self…x :slight_smile:

I like to ponder the kind of world we could all create if we were not constrained by having to pay to be alive…

If our creativity and imagination and the art of being alive along with our compassion and understanding of each other were the driving force…???
x :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Thank you for those lovely words of affirmation and hope, Helen. Recalls for me Shakespeare’s Prince of Denmark:

What a piece of work is man,
How noble in reason,
How infinite in faculty,
In form and moving how express and admirable, In action how like an Angel,
In apprehension how like a god,
The beauty of the world,
The paragon of animals.

2 Likes

To me - Art is Music - it so deeply affects how I feel and often provides me with inspiration, motivation, comfort and, above all, great pleasure. I am always in awe of anyone who can play a musical instrument or sing like a lark - the Artists. That’s my kind of Art …

2 Likes

And your favourite Artists are ??? Just a few will do…:wink:

Oh a sort of Argentinian Jack Vettriano but without a sense of humour.

This is true for me too …:hugs:

Music was my first love
And it will be my last.
Music of the future
And music of the past.

To live without my music
Would be impossible to do.
In this world of troubles,
My music pulls me through.

1 Like

Many years ago I worked for an American oil company which invested heavily in ‘art’ (use the term loosely) which was displayed on its office walls. I had one ‘masterpiece’ - a Twombly - directly opposite my desk (see a Twombly example below). I called it The Scribble, because it was. After a long stressful day at the computer I’d look up and see this directly in my view and feel the slight buzz of a migraine starting. I did ask if it could be moved and perhaps I could have something peaceful or calming instead but was told “no, the American art consultant insists that it HAS to be there”. Meanwhile, in the halls there were lovely tranquil landscapes but, oh no, that Twombly had to be RIGHT there!
So I endured ‘The Migraine’ picture for a year until, one day, we had a visit from the art consultant, a self-important little man who sauntered around reminding us minions how lucky we were to be able to enjoy so many million dollars’ worth of art (true, he really did say that!). Until he came to my desk and looked at the Twombly … and flipped. His eyes bulged, his face went red and he started spluttering “who did this?”. I was tempted to mutter “someone who’s taking the piss and calling it 'art;” but kept quiet behind my computer. The building manager who was with him said “well we’ve put it exactly where you wanted Mr. …”. The consultant said “no, this is wrong, this is wrong, this is WRONG!”. House manager: “???”. Art consultant: “it’s UPSIDE-DOWN! Get it put right immediately!!!”.
When it was re-mounted it was … well, still a scribble. Still a migraine. Still looked like a class of three year olds had scrawled over with crayons. But, apparently, it was now the RIGHT WAY UP! And the art consultant could go back to the US happy, whilst I still had to endure The Migraine on the wall opposite me. Which was worth millions.
Emperor’s new clothes, eh?

2 Likes

I’ve got pictures like that, somewhere… they used to be stuck on the fridge… masterpieces done by various tots… and each one a priceless treasure ! :hugs:

Perhaps I should find them…depending on the future B event… I might be forced to sell them… :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

I might have been tempted to add a few more squiggles to see if anyone noticed! :wink:

Poor you having to face that every day, it’s not that I am against ‘modern art’, it’s all the pretentious bullshit that goes with it, plus the high prices for spots, cubes whatever! I believe I already said on another post here that a 3 year old’s work was put on the walls during an art exhibtion, the critics, no doubt thinking it was by one of the well known artists already exhibiting, went into raptures about how the artist captured the intense emotions of life blah de blah.

A journalist finally revealed that it was his son’s work !

2 Likes

haha yes, a lot of art is just bllcks. in fact, I found this website Arty Bllcks Generator which is a real scream. Here’s a random example:

“My work explores the relationship between the Military-Industrial Complex and romance tourism. With influences as diverse as Munch and Frida Kahlo, new synergies are synthesised from both traditional and modern structures. Ever since I was a teenager I have been fascinated by the ephemeral nature of the mind. What starts out as hope soon becomes corroded into a tragedy of lust, leaving only a sense of decadence and the dawn of a new understanding. As shifting replicas become clarified through frantic and personal practice, the viewer is left with a clue to the limits of our era.”

Art bllcks indeed!

Do you think you could tell the difference between the real drawing and the facsimile? They are amazingly well done. So does it really matter that the caves are a re-creation? Personally I would not enjoy going to the real thing as I would know that just be being there I was damaging it, so that would remove the pleasure as I would just be being selfish.

OK - here’s my ‘shortlist’ of Artists (no particular order)

Nicola Benedetti, Bond (quartet), Toni Braxton, Norah Jones, Patrizio Buanne, The Overtones, Paloma Faith, Katie Melua, Justin Timberlake, Pharrell Williams, Gloria Estefan, Enrique Iglesias, ELO, Take That, Duffy, Corine Bailey Rae, Bryan Adams and most recently (post A Star is Born) the magnificent Lady Gaga:

Listen to the words - normally has me in bits each time…

Blimey, wonder what that artist was on, apart from an ego trip :rofl:

I must have a go at ‘creating’ some phrases like that, I reckon if I chuck in a few made up words, mix in a bit of French and and voilà, I too can be a pretentious egocentric pratt ! :dizzy_face:

I’ve never been to Lascaux because I believe that I’m not interested in seeing a copy. I don’t know what I think like that because when I saw the reproduction Tutankhamun exhibition thought it was brilliant.
A story I’m sure I’ve told before… I used to live in a town with a purpose built a Modern Art museum which was well known for its architecture. To me most of the art was a waste of space despite a few pieces by well known names hanging on the walls of completely filling rooms. I once visited with some colleagues and at the end we were waiting for a couple of them in the enrtry foyer. There, against a wall was an old fashioned cable car with a cardboard box beside it filled with junk including bits of grey plastic plumbing pipe. I stared at it for a few minutes then said to no one in particular, I get that one, it’s about life; however wonderful the journey is you can’t leave the rubbish behind. A passing museum employee stopped, turned to me and said, ‘That’s not art, that’s trash.’ I’ve always wondered who makes that decision. Why were the mutulated Barbies, the room full of polystyrene balls and the oddities on the walls considered art when the cable car and box were not?
I could spend days here, for me it’s a collection of real art,

2 Likes

I have been lucky enough to visit the Musée d’Orsay a few times, lovely to just wander around out of season and have the time to study some great works …

Also saw this at Futuroscope, it was wonderful on such a large screen …

Moi, Van Gogh - 2010-2011

2 Likes

There is a very distinct campaign against Art both here in France & the UK. I have not found any local tradesmen, a single super market, village shop or local market which encourages Art on the contrary some are even calling it anal cheese!

Examples: Enterprise artisanal, artisanal cheese & in France fromage artisanal.

1 Like

Thinking about that idea, and differences…So, supposing if you imagine …any artist you like a lot…‘making’
one day, then ‘buying’ another day,…their “home decor…”. Different materials/activities/skills/visions… different end ‘products’, but both might produce more best loved “art” from your own pov, in those two different forms…Art, presented differently. …ie As a single item, …then, as a collection, an assembled presentation, of ‘home’ needs/wants.

Welll worth visiting https://www.fondation-maeght.com/ and https://ysp.org.uk/