What is your idea of a Restaurant?

We are often the only non-French… and we outstay most of the other diners… :hugs:… I love eating out… :slight_smile:

We were the last out, nice to have a chat with the owners after all the others have left, great this retirement lark really enjoying our self’s.:smile:

1 Like

Same here, our fellow brits tend to go to an English owned Restaurant a short distance away were the menu jour is €20 for 3 courses plus more expensive wine, their loss.

I was looking at my Spurs scarf this morning. It spends its life tied around the neck of a guitar but I was wondering if it would be better put to a practical use.

1 Like

There is nothing that equates with the menu du jour in UK.
This is because luncheon vouchers are not so prevalent as in France.
We are often the only non french in the winter.

In UK… I seem to recall it used to be called the “Special”… :thinking:

And I think because lunch is traditionally a more important meal in France, taking longer and where you eat more. My colleagues who bring their own lunch to work have entrée plat dessert eaten on a plate with a knife and fork, not just a sandwich.

2 Likes

I remember the first time I saw a colleague do this. I was so impressed. I even remember her meal.

She started with a small green salad over which she poured a tiny little pot of vinaigrette, followed by a piece of poached salmon with lentils and then a piece of homemade cake with compote and, finally, a slice of cheese.

I was so embarrassed by my ham sandwich and banana. :sandwich::banana:

3 Likes

Have you followed your colleague’s route or do you still have a sandwich for lunch?

Since we moved to France 15 years ago we have grown alliance to a more substantial lunch and a light evening meal and we both find that our digestive system favours this way of living, when we do visit the UK and go back to having a rather large evening meal we both find eating this way ends up with disturbed sleep and indigestion a thing that we took for granted all those years ago.

2 Likes

I stopped working last year but always took a sandwich for lunch or leftovers from the previous night’s dinner. I’ve never been able to get into the habit of having my main meal at lunchtime.

Give it time Mandy, you might now find time to look forward to lunchtimes.:wink:

1 Like

No, me neither. Big lunch means siesta​:sleeping::sleeping:

1 Like

Yep. The few times I’ve eaten a big meal at lunchtime I’m completely useless for the rest of the day. Just want to sleep. Doesn’t suit me at all.

I think you are right.

We always have lunch and a light snack in the evening.

But isn’t that a perfect way to take it easy - particularly on holiday.

Not for me. I hate that lethargic, full up feeling even on holiday.

What’s a “holiday”?

I ‘swapped over’ a bit over a year ago and now eat at lunchtime and snack in the evening. It took a while to get used to but I now prefer it and have lost weight so it must be good.

1 Like

The days between 1st January and 31st December. :slight_smile:

3 Likes