What makes for a successful/happy life in France

Hi Brian, there's also a very good reason for the French still being in touch with the land - even those living in cities only left it a generation or two back and where they did, they've almost all still got someone in the family who is still there farming and most families keep "la maison familiale" in the country as they can't bear to sell it, wouldn't even think of selling it, and it remains there for holiday use, weekends in the country etc. When my inlaws are no longer here that'll be the case, brother in law doesn't need their house as he's built his own but we'll end up keeping it in the family because no one would dream of selling it, it's symbolic and part of their roots, same for the farm where my MIL was born, no one wants it once tonton gabriel dies but the farm house will be kept for that side of the family and the land joined to bil's farm, oh and the same with sil's father too, and the other bil's farm - 4 aveyronnais farms in the family,+ our small 18 acre one that makes 5, oh and then there are the 3 other farms on my fil's side, that makes 8...!

Right on the house prices Andrew and the city - rural thing. There is a hair's breadth difference between urban lives in most European countries. Elaine, I love the rural, the earth and nature as much as the human element and one of the things my working life has made me is as green as the world will allow anybody to be but simply not being a Green Party member or activist having been disillusioned by them 20 plus years ago... My point is that the French are more connected withthat through each other than one tends to find where I have lived in the UK.

but take a look at inner city France and tell me you admire the balance and life there! we need to keep this a balanced view rural -v- rural and city -v- city ;-)

quite - there's no real difference between living in London or Paris, rural south west France or rural south west of the UK - both have their good and bad points. The one big difference (apart from the language and the people) is house prices making it far easier to afford to live in something nice here than in the UK (but that only holds true if you can earn a living here too or have the same financial means as in the UK - the whole balance/choice thing is different for each individual!)

your experience of france is equally encouraging Brian - and both yours and Barbara's are a reflection of yourselves - you're interest is in people and its them that you notice (and appreciate or not) first - Barbara appears to have a deep respect and love of the earth and nature (not saying you don't Brian) so France has balance.

oh i like the sound of music and gatherings....... your world sounds poetic Barbara i like your vision x

Perhaps, but do not romanticise too much barbara. France Bleu Périgord had lots of joy for us all this morning, including how the entire teaching reserve of 42 supply teachers is now gone and will not be replaced (money...), some road repair contracts have been cancelled, etc. News some days lacks the joie de vivre you might imagine is all round you.

OK, granted, compared with London you are away from the hustle and bustle, but then so was I when I lived in a village 12 miles east of Cambridge for two decades plus, or the village before for several years and even the centre of Cambridge away from areas full of tourists... I had farmland, woodland, two prize winning vinyards, a complete range of game to buy at good low prices, organic everything and would have had a primary school my children could have walked to across the fields for 90% of each year and a superb bus service to the local secondary, etc, etc.

I would rather live here because of the people. The French are good people, the rural ones especially if we properly join in their communities. We have the same kisses and hugs, handshakes and "Sava?" or "Come va?" as everybody else, enjoy the same shared apero and very few people consistently demand our children be quiet and stop running around in public places. It is the people who make this country if we just make the effort. There is solidarity that the English do not remember how to express and share, preferring their high hedges and closed front doors to gentle tap-tap and a neighbour walking in to which one only needs to nod toward the aperos and see the slight nod back and anyway the coffee is already on... The same at their houses. That is France the beautiful.

it is a wonderful experience finding yourself in a world so far away from the London hussle and where people are out of touch with life itself. It is here in the countryside of France where we can relate

to all the elements of nature and see everything around you roaming free. What better place to discharg those toxic thoughts and find a new direction.

The snow is hidding the grass but the birds are not detered from their breakfast ....goodies placed on roof tops and secret places away from the cats who sit.... comfy on the settee with no concern for finding food or warmth.

Not a great suprise to spot a hare or a deer skipping accross the vines or to build a relationship with

a young crow who would not fly.

How nice it is to pass a stranger on the road to the village and to be greeted like a friend.

Great to visit Nice on a spring day and to be able to drive around without traffic jams but just

as long as you stay away in July and Aug.

We are all in hibernation mode enjoying the boeuf en duabe, slow roated pork glazed with a little

honey and eaten with cabbage and potatoes. Watching the ways of the world through media forms

and keeping in touch. Meeting with friends and shareing the fruits of the vines. The great jewels of

St Emilion and the cote de Castilon. Thinking ahead to the new season which brings with it new faces, new projects and lots of jolly activities involving music and gatherings.

I admire the balance of France.She is so beautiful.

definately couldnt imagine not living in france but confess to being able to imagine living elsewhere than the cote d'azur!

We went to a function in our local village yesterday, followed of course by the inevitable appero's de bienvenue, five course lunch, copious wines, and a digestif to end the (by then very late) afternoon.

A long-term English resident of the village recently uprooted herself and went back "home".

The general consensus of opinion was around the lunch-table was, "Oh well - she's better off back there. Her problem was that in all the years she lived here, she NEVER tried to integrate". Which is true: she never attended any of the functions, or went on walks with the bunch of ladies who do it twice a week, never tried to learn to communicate in French, didn't even speak to her neighbours. We get along well with everyone. It seems the French will forgive most things except for people trying to live in and not trying to fit in, even a little bit.

Sunshine (in the SW); good food and wine (I have now converted to eating meat and fish less well done); a more outdoor life; markets and the anticipation of seasonal fruit and veg (asparagus in May);2 hour waiting in slots from EdF, GdF, Darty;weighing and franking machines in La Poste to avoid the queues; Armand Thierry in the sales; the challenge of speaking French and being appreciated for my efforts.

I have respected the spirit of the discussion.Yes there are down sides, but there are in the UK too.

Well and at least one happy Scot!

far from that - I think the vast and mainly silent majority of members on this site are more than happy with their lives here in France ;-)

Me too Janet - I really did think I was the only one.

hear hear !

Me too!

"Like"

Making the move to come to live in France is one of the best things I've ever done, It has drastically improved the quality of our lives. At first I did not settle unlike my partner who settled all most straight away. The laid back manner of life here in France being the major factor. not been used to that in my previous. I loved and enjoyed what I did before but needed, wanted and most importantly could afford to make the change. With this we are here to embrace this new lifestyle. Not compare all the time, it is a different country for heavens sake. It is not going to be the same!

Here are a few things that make this truly a lovely life.

A hello from almost all you meet.

Basic please and thank you, how wonderful is this?

The weather, is this not why some of us have made the move?

Having an opportunity to buy a house that we were unable to live in, the UK.

I could go on but this would be comparing the UK to France, it's not fair to compare.

We have all moved here to France for a reason, mostly I would hope for betterment of life. Things sometimes don't go to plan. Sh#t happens! Deal with it. Most problems come down to little knowledge about the subject or not knowing the language. The bonus on this, there are plenty of people and wonderful sites like this to help us. Lets not moan and compare. Help each other to have this wonderful life here in Fantastic France.

miam miam!

LIKE Barbara! So true xx