What might it be like when we are no longer ressortissants britanniques UE?

Thanks, we have applied for some documents from archives in Germany as most were destroyed, so hopefully they will find a few more things. But did you apply in france or in the UK?

Hi Jane

I started my application in the UK when we lived there. After our move to France, they transferred everything across to the Mission in Paris who finished things off for me. Both Embassies were happy to communicate in English.

F

Hi Jane
I started my application in UK where it was dealt with by the German Embassy in London. After we moved to France permanently, I was transferred to the relevant section of the German Mission in Paris. I found both very helpful. (Sorry , I thought I had replied to your comment earlier!)

That’s brilliant, thanks. I will contact the consulate here to see if that will move things forward.

Don’t know if you’ve seen the recent story about “proposals” to increase the UK state pension age to 75 ? Just a “think tank” suggestion at the moment, but the general trend seems to be towards avoiding paying it. So while I would hope they wouldn’t use an excuse like dual citizenship etc., I don’t think you can rule anything out. Anybody saying “they wouldn’t do that”, or “they’d never do this” about anything with regard to UK government; think again! The link below is from “the Sun” (sorry) but it was widely reported. One MP stated that this would “remove barriers for those wanting to continue working” :roll_eyes:

@Fenman : that is my understanding, yes. Those who apply for German citizenship after UK Brexit date will lose their UK citizenship, except that the German government planned to bring forward legislation to allow for extra time to apply. I don’t know whether that legislation has passed through the Bundesrat yet. Always assuming that Brexit actually happens.

I wonder if that applies equally to people like me who are applying for historic naturalisation because citizenship was removed from us in WWII…I hope not as my dossier is still incomplete.

Unfortunately, no idea - the whole historic reinstatement of nationality is a separate can of worms…like anything Germany does that is related to trying to set certain things right again after the events of the second world war.