What needs changing when you register a RHD UK car in France?

Let’s hope you can get a good deal.

If not, ask your CT Examiner to look at page 5 :thinking: It might be that your Examiner is not au fait with the NEW CT Examination details covering RHD - this document is dated October 2018.

Or it might simply be that your BB’s are not correctly fitted… and/or perhaps there is another fault with the lights…

Your chap has possibly not noticed the " à l’exception" which lets RHD’s off the hook in certain circumstances.

L’orientation d’un feu de croisement
n’est pas dans les limites prescrites par
les exigences : défaillance majeure

• Valeur de rabattement non conforme

• Feu prévu pour une conduite à droite, à l’exception de ceux équipés d’un dispositif rendant le faisceau plat (ex : adhésif masquant ou dispositif spécifique du feu)

Thank you so much. This is very helpful.

Many thanks, everyone. I managed to find another garage who has passed my car with stickers. Hurrah! Now to try to get to grips with applying online for the carte grise…

1 Like

I purchased LHD Lights on my wife Mazda for 400 euro 1750 euros in France but 5and half years on they have deteriorated have put the RHD lights back on they are xnone,will i use reflectors on dip only I presume as main beam light and goes off when dipped leaving separAte dip beam on ,which stAys when main beam on ,any Advice

Not sure of the configuration of your lights but stickers should only mask a small part of the dip beam (the bit that would illuminate the kerb in the UK) & not affect the main beam at all. As dip beam is only used when there are other cars around, either coming towards you or when you are following one, this should not affect the safety of night driving. When you need to see any distance ahead, as you would when the road ahead is clear of other traffic, your main beam will work as it always has.

1 Like

What happens with Historic vehicles, ie 1973?
Are they internally adjustable in anyway or swappable as in move lhs to rhs?
Forgive my ignorance!

Both my Renault 12 and Renault 4 ( from my days as a student) had headlights where one moved a piece of the bulb mount to switch from RH to LH dip.

There has been lots of talk here anout the headlights, what about the rear lights?
Specifically, the rear fog lamp. On most cars there is just one rear fog, which is positioned on offside, i.e. away from the kerb. On a UK spec car that means it is on the right; for europe it would be on the left. I was advised by a French Toyota dealer that the rear lights would need to be changed for the CT, which I did. Was that necessary?

It is necessary to have a rear fog light on the lefthand side of the car, here in France. You can either add a second rear fog on the left or move the RH one over … :relaxed: depending on the car and its light formations…

Martin you were advised correctly. On the other hand a lot of if not most of the cars on the road these days have the provision for either left or right hand foglights. or even both. If the car was bought in the UK then it would have a conversion/extension cable for the right hand fog light and the left hand fog is just not installed. This means they can be converted for reasonable money. Both my cars (volvo) had this i had to buy the cables, now i have left and right fog lamps at the rear. It is always wise to check the light unit before hand to see if the fitment/connection is there or not before lashing out for a new light unit. You might only need a cable (which could also be alrady on the RH side) and a bulb.

That’s exactly what I thought so went to the mini dealer here and he said there was no need. To double check I then went to see the CT man and again he said no. CT was done in August with no mention of changing the position of the fog light.

Mmm… that is certainly a change from what I have been told by my CT man, in past years. Perhaps this is another relaxation for RHD cars (like beam benders) :thinking:

@anon90504988 what is your take on this ??

On our Hilux, the fog light and reversing light are in the same position, thye just switch sides. For the EU market both have clear lenses with a red bulb provides the fog light. In the UK market a clear bulb is used for the fog light with an additional red filter inside the fog light assembly.
The cable connectors also differ slightly; both ses have reverse and fog lamp wires, the harness on the light units only take the required feed. Had I known that I could have saved a lot by only changing the right hand lamp to get a clear reverse light, then move the relevant pin in the connectors and fit a red bulb.

No Stella, it is more the case of a CT man not reading the whole of the UTAC document!

In case a CT guy does not know where the position bit should be, the instructions have that covered a bit further on -

2 Likes

Cheers Mark… once again, clear concise info… :slight_smile:

I’m intrigued. We’re bringing a 1956 BSA and a Grieves cafe racer over a Tiger 90. Similar vintage. Both have valid logbooks. However would one get anything from the manufacturer? Are they exempt? I’m getting the bits with the cars, but not the bikes… And does France have an equivalent to the german H plate? Anything over 30 qualifies for an H plate with accompanying tax and test requirements. My BX is 29!!!

I doubt you would want to register these under the ordinary system… a simple Google tells you what you need to know…

take a look at FFVE website…

https://www.ffve.org/accueil_Fédération_Francaise_Véhicules_d_Epoque

Many Beemers, going back to our 1993 5 series and beyond, can have the dipping switched from UK to continental and vice-versa via a lever or a simple turn of the light unit.

ou wouldt get a COC for any of thoe bikes, they are too old. As Stella said, go the aged route via the FFVE much easier BUT they must as standard as the day the left the factory which i think would rule out the Greeves Cafe racerI dont think there is a H plate as in Deutschland (pity). Follow Stellas advice or contact Mark Rimmer (spezialist) for registering older vehicles.