What shall I plant in this bank?

Totally agree about the bamboo, Maria. The previous owners here had clumps of it in the middle of the grass as well as around the perimeter. It sends up multiple new shoots, very quickly, within a 2m radius, with roots rising above ground level that mangle the petrol mower and are easy to trip over. I seem forever to be trying to destroy new off shoots. It's very difficult to dig out once established because of the root system.

Hi James

This is the first time I have posted on the SFN and I read the articles with interest. Your question motivated me to reply! I have a similar problem and already have some Euphorbias on the bank I need to sort out, although they are currently hidden by the long grass and thistles! I am no gardener either but have spoken to a few people and they have said that the common periwinkle might be an option as it is evergreen and spreads for ground cover and is not too high. In my experience, bamboo can get out of control very quickly and if left might make the house dark as it grows tall very quickly.

Good Luck

Vinca
Vinca minor

"Like" a lot

Another suggestion would be, hitch your trailer to your car and go and ask the local farmer if you can take away all the biggish stone you see standing in his fields, (mine are only too happy for me to take them.)

You can then embed them in the bank making a "rockery facade" Then go to your local garden centre and puchase as many "Lobelia" type plants that will spread and cover.

Failing that, cover with unwanted stones, thus covering the "bareness" and "ROUNDUP" the area every springtime.

My wife says you should plant a man and grow your own dope

Fantastic, I have a chipper!

Thanks

Thanks David, please excuse my ignorance, but is the growing medium just compost?!

James

Clays fab, it just gets a bad press- what the plants will need however is some organic material to break it up. What I would do is make sure each plant has a good base of soil- and then cover the rest in some form of organic mulch, which will slowly break down and break up the clay, with the help of worms and the like- the permaculture solution would be something like BRF- Bois Raméal Fragmenté- see http://fr.ekopedia.org/Bois_Ram%C3%A9al_Fragment%C3%A9

Again very cheap if you can get your hands on a chipper- munch up tons of branches and pile on thick- leave a circle round each plant - very good for suppressing weeds, keeping the soil cools, or warm in winter-keeps moisture in the soil as well

Yes Christina, that's exactly what I want to do, any recommendations on the type of Bamboo?

Thanks

James

Hi Rosie

The bank faces NE. We are near Dax in SW France so, super hot. I love grasses and herbs, so sounds like a good plan! Which variety of invasive Bamboo would you suggest, how long do they take to establish?

I like Gazon Japonais too, will that take in this claylike soil or should I add some better quality soil to the surface first?

Thanks

James

I like the sound of herbs - rosemary would be good. Not sure of the climate but Cotoneaster Horizontalis offers good ground cover with nice red berries which the birds love. Does die back and requires clearance in the autumn but is very jolly mixed Capucines (sorry forgotten the English) also cheap as frites. You'll have to put in some pockets of growing medium. Another thought is to sow some wild meadow grasses with lots of flowers in them. Birds and bees will love.

great stuff, I've literally just had a bank like this left in my garden so wonderful to hear your tips!

Thanks so much

Jill

You haven't said the aspect or the weather conditions, but here goes!

On the lower slopes, rosemary - the creeping kind - and shrub roses. For the scent. Plus maybe something like the lovely low-growing grey-blue glaucous juniper and other coniferous ground-hugging plants.

Further back, grasses - which will help retain the clay -low maintenance and lots of varieties, moving in the wind and colourful in a muted way.

and right at the back, bamboo - perhaps even the invasive kind!

Plus some spaces for annuals to brighten it up in the summer - gazon japonais type.

Well, that's what I would do...!

Hi James

If you want to obliterate the slope and no longer think about it or see it ever again you could plant bamboo which would grab the soil and never let it go again!

If not why not sprinkle the whole bank with wildflower seeds and let nature take it's course

As you can see I'm a very laid back sort of gardener ...!

Thanks Peter,

Should I add some better quality soil to the surface first, it's hard clay, or would that be a waste of effort?

As you can probably tell, I don't have green fingers!

James

Well, you know I like herbs- so why not make it an aromatic herb bank a la the Languedoc Garrigue - rosemary, lavender, thyme-all can be grown from cuttings, so just find a friend with them in their garden -take loads of green shoot cuttings- plant in soil ((Use one of these cheap organic alternatives to hormone rooting powder http://www.naturalchoices.co.uk/Three-Organic-Alternatives-to?id_mot=25 ), if you take the cuttings after flowering the roots should be ready for an Autumn planting. They will sit there doing absolutely BA for 6- 12 months then they will shoot up and out. Find a friend with Sauge offinale - it should be flowering around now and collect the seeds, if you sow them straight away they could also be ready for a autumn planting great cover and don't like watering. Also on the low watering side Euphorbias are great, and spread like wild fire. For bigger bushes try taking some juniper soft wood cuttings, some genet gives a good splash of yellow. At the other extreme sediums in open spaces give good ground cover.

Your own garrigue for free.