What TV do I need to cover most options?

I have read in one thread that the TV should have satellite connections?
(There is a dish on the roof, though we will have Orange TV through fibre)
Are we likely to need to connect through satellite for UK TV?

Better to have than not, see if there is an on board satelite decoder and wifi.

1 Like

I’m not sure you need any more than a TV with multiple HDMI and USB connectors. You can then attach various other devices to give you the programmes/services you require. My smart TVs have lost a lot of the smart functionality over the years as the TV manufacturers have stopped updating the necessary software. Attached devices are usually upgraded a lot more often and for longer. They can be replaced for a much lower cost. I have separate satellite decoders for UK and French TV and a DVD player. I also have Amazon TV Firestick and Google Chromecast which I can use for various subscription services such as Amazon Prime and Netflix as well as being able play downloaded films, etc.

1 Like

I have an LG TV which includes a Freesat decoder and 6 HDMI inputs - I have used 4 of them so far…
If you wish to connect the TV to an existing analogue sound system, make sure the TV has analogue audio out - many modern TVs only have digital audio out.

2 Likes

Most have a toslink optical but a good point re analogue. I have a soundbar that connects via ARC if the tv supports that. Loads of different ways but my analogue hifi is still very good so a really good point.

2 Likes

Yeah you can connect your TV to your satellite dish (via a decoder such as a SkyHD or a Freeview box) to continue to receive UK TV. That’s exactly what we did when we first arrived. You’ll just need to point your satellite dish in a slightly different direction. This thread has all the details you need.

Sadly iPlayer and Sky’s catch-up doesn’t work as they see from your IP address that you’re not based in the UK.

1 Like

For years have been using Surfshark VPN in the UK to watch League 1 home and away matches using the Bordeau server.
I am hoping Surfshark will help me in France, when required.

1 Like

Exactly. My Quad Electrostatics are still a match for most modern speakers - if a little large :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yes I have to use my external dac for this - somewhat inconvenient. I am very pleased however to have found an app that allows me to watch ad free Youtube videos on this Sony Bravia. I also bought a Sony device that gives me a bluetooth link to my Sony noise cancelling headphones. Had to buy a cheap bluetooth splitter to use the two devices off the digital tv output.

We watch iplayer via NordVPN - no problems.

1 Like

Ssssshhhhhhh

1 Like

Should I delete it?

I am sure it will be fine.

1 Like

Ah, we must have just been unlucky. Glad it’s still working OK for you guys.

1 Like

Come on spill the beans :wink:

Hehe

It’s a github hosted site.

More - https://smarttubenext.com/

Had to install a downloading tool first. Will check on tv what it was called if anyone needs it.

2 Likes

Oh, thanks. I watch a lot (and I mean A LOT) of YouTube videos so this will save me having to sit through hours of ads every week :smiley: Will see if it works on my Android box tonight.

as indeed do I… the difference being that I download them first to my NAS and watch them on my Samsung TV. The downloaded YT vids are ad free on the PC I use to download them (I have Ghostery running which suppresses the ads).

The downloader is

I would otherwise be unable to download the S tube app (Smarttube) on my Sony tv with Google’s android variant of the operating system.
It may not be required on a normal android o.s

So I take it you’re not watching them in the native YT app? Perhaps I need to reconsider how I watch them. :thinking:

Currently I have the official app installed on my Formula Z8 Android box. I can use the remote control for the Z8 to search for what I want to watch, but find it’s easier to use my phone instead… which conveniently recognises YT is installed on the Z8 (I think the Z8 is just acting like a Chromecast / Miracast receiver).