What's the best bit of France?

You’re correct on all counts. The economy is too small to sustain a large population, and I suspect regulations aganst development will keep it that way. There are some young families in the village, but the general population is relatively old, and that’s going to affect resource management in the next 20 years.

32 years of coastal Finistère for me and where I expected to eventually die because it had soaked right into my being and it was the longest I have lived anywhere in my entire life and for which I am still relatively homesick now some 11 months since I left there. Circumstances for me changed practically overnight and I was widowed relatively young and then my second child flew the nest down south about as far as you can get from 29 which left me living alone in a big property continually needing work and the garden getting a chore as there was no point in growing stuff just for one person any more. So, having put the house up for sale and selling within four days of doing so, we found a plot for sale on a big new lotissement about 15mins drive from the Med, ten mins from my son andhis family and plenty of amenities, something I lacked in Brittany as the villages could not support large supermarkets and other needs and a car was essential to get to the nearest towns for banking,doctor etc. The difference between the two regions is total opposites regarding just about everything from ambience to getting darker earlier down here in the south compared to the north. What the OP needs to do is make a list of important requirements for their daily life’s needs and find suitable towns/villages that can cater for those needs plus a suitable property that will not see them become a slave to huge parcels of land and also a region with a climate that suits their health best. Obviously if they like the countryside rather than suburbia/town living that will narrow it down, then whether they want inland or coastal or mountain surroundings plus easy access to motorways,trains and airports not too far. Another thing to remember is that just because you can get more for your money here propertywise, it is not always the way to go and can be a false economy and a lasting money pit as many have found out to their cost. I have felt much healthier since moving south, no more aches and pains due to the Breton damp and gales and the diet is far healthier too.

3 Likes

I did not mean it in a negative way Stella! I have Parisien friends!
I simply meant that most people would expect there to be differences between those from Ile de France and those from la France profonde. Whereas they might not necessarily have thought about the differences across the country outside of Ile de France.

1 Like

Hi Lalla, We spent many happy years in the Pyrenees Orientales before moving North to be nearer ageing family members. We go back for long relaxing holidays often spending time between the coast and the mountains. Our favourite region, where we lived ,is the Vallespir, it would probably have everything you are looking for. Take a look at this https://www.vallespir-tourisme.fr/

1 Like

The other side of Perpignan to me.

Actually, if you “scratch the surface” of many a Parisien, you’ll possibly find they have a rural background and/or ancestors.

Paris was the one place which offered work… when there wasn’t much available in the countryside.

Many of our locals went to Paris to work/further their careers… and have subsequently retired back here, to the family farm etc.
Also, many of their kids now work in Paris, coming “home” for Christmas/New Year etc…

Mind you, I do reckon most of 'em drive like maniacs, but to survive the Arc de Triomphe roundabout, I suppose that’s what it takes… :rofl: :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Your criteria sound not unlike mine, though I kind of ruled out going towards that direction due to the impression that it would be higher up and colder (and closer to Switzerland, more expensive). But of course, microclimates are the thing.

I’d happily rent for a year, but keep hearing it’s a bit of a pain nowadays! I hope to make some initial exploratory trips to see what I think of whichever area I eventually plump for.

Really useful info, thanks!

Keep an open mind and perhaps a lookout for derelict properties ripe for demolition if you fancy a new modern build in the area of your choice.
That’s how we acquired our land on which to build a new property (timber frame) and it was surprisingly cheap.
The local Maire was delighted to help with getting the relevant permissions in place too in order to remove the long standing eyesore and get the land back in to use in the commune.

2 Likes

Thanks for the link, I’ll subscribe to their newsletter (I get one from the Lot Tourisme). I’ve been around that area though not really seen much of it. Nearness to the border is something of interest!

I love an old French property, wouldn’t want to tear one down! Am too much of a sucker for quirks and charm…

1 Like

My first day in Paris, fresh off the plane, I crossed Charles de Gaulle Étoile on foot :scream:

1 Like

whilst our house is new, we retained as much of the past as we could salvage and the interior is adorned with an ancient Villeroy Bosch enamelled sink unit in the kitchen built in to the modern units retrieved from the 1950’s and, amongst other things, an ancient Godin wood burner which adds to the charm of an otherwise modern lounge/diner.
You’d be surprised at what you can achieve :wink:

2 Likes

I live in a damp climate here in the UK and would definitely like to get away from it. I’ve had my head turned by the prospect of the huge amount of real estate that can be bought for very little, but I think I’m over it now. A 3 bed house with a manageable garden will do me. As long as it’s somewhere lovely. :slightly_smiling_face:

Aveyron certainly appeals. Someone else had pointed out the Célé to me, so I’ve been scanning for property. Not so much available so far, as in some other search areas!

Turn it straight back! Big properties come with big bills, soak up lots of time in maintenance and need deep pockets. We have an enormous property, and love it as we adore the space. But had to make a choice that we would no longer have (eg) long haul holidays. So much depends on age too and attitude. We bought it knowing we would have to move again, and would not make a bean in profit, but were happy with that idea. Others aren’t.

Our original plan was some towns/villages south of Besançon. Worth a visit if the East appeals.

The “frontalier” area along the Swiss border is expensive, but otherwise no different. Although Annecy and surrounding (very beautiful) area are eye watering in price.

3 Likes

Watching YouTube channels, it’s evident you can get a fair amount of characterful bits and pieces in France. US viewers especially frequently salivate over the quality and quantity of stuff available for absolute peanuts :smile:

1 Like

The idea of a lot of land is very appealing to a brit, but it requires a serious investment of time and money to maintain. One of our neighbours with a property in Brittany complained that all he ever did was cut the grass when they visited, and he was fed up with that. Having a moderate garden attached is nice, but not if it requires an enormous amount of effort to maintain.

Regarding cost, one of our slightly more distant neighbours moved from Geneva late 2021 from a small flat to a 3 bedroom house with space for a studio and surrounding gardens. She has decided to make a go of it as an artist, and can afford to do this in rural France in a way she never could living in a city.

4 Likes

Personally, I’d suggest you do rent… better to be sure you really like the area before buying.

Not sure why renting should be a bit of a pain, though…
Anyone any ideas on this aspect ???

From what people say, trying to get a rental at all, when you’re not in the country.

1 Like

It is very hard for a foreigner with no French earned income to be considered as an acceptable tenant by anyone other than an individual who is trusting and open minded. Tenancy law in France favours the tenant, so one does everything to make sure one selects the right one.

2 Likes