What's the etiquette? Scouts camping in garden

Well if our garden is anything to go by, there’s quite a bit that would be considered wild!

1 Like

I remember doing the DoE award in my yoof in the high peaks of the Derbyshire Dales and on one occasion it had been constantly raining (as it does up there) for more than 24 hours and the tents we were carrying were absolutely sodden through with no opportunity to dry them out.
At our next arranged overnight stopping point, we spoke to the farmer who suggested we sleep in the hay barn and drape the tents over open beams to give the a fighting chance of drying out for the next day. As those of you have done the DofE award will know, there is a requirement for the group to be visited at the pre-arranged place to verify they are all safe etc and so it was with one of the Boys’ Brigade Officers (who was also a serving Police Officer). Problem: he could find us in the arranged field so he went to the farmhouse to ask if they had seen us. The farmer pointed out where we were and all was well.
Heaven knows what would have happened if we had set fire to his barn - the thought never occurred to us as youngsters of course but I guess the Boys’ Brigade movement would have carried appropriate insurance…
We passed the test and were commended by the Officer for our quick thinking and sense of priority :wink:

2 Likes

Exmoor for me

1 Like

I used to take my cadets Ten Tors training on Dartmoor :blush:

1 Like

Good grief, Ten Tors… that takes me back… spent 4 happy years at school down that way…

1 Like

Just tried to find this on Youtube. There seem to be lots but not necessarily relevant to the subject discussed. Can you enlighten me please?
Also, is “deplacer les montagnes” some sort of idiom I havent heard of? Thanks.

This is the film, don’t know if it is available on YouTube.

http://www.film-documentaire.fr/4DACTION/w_fiche_film/56196_1

I don’t think the title is an actual idiom, but presumably alludes to it being a herculean task for the migrants to get across them?

Thank you, I’ll have a look :slight_smile: