What's Your Comfort Food During Lousy Weather

Tomato soup, ravioli or a tin of cassoulet.

1 Like

Sausage, potatoes, veg and gravy. Lidl do some German sausages that look a bit weird (white) but taste much like an English sausage when cooked (without all the fillers!).

1 Like

Great more for me then :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Often wondered about those.

Bratwurst? Weisswurst? So delicious :heart:

3 Likes

Currywurst mit senf from a kiosk outside the railway station was my go-to post pub food after a night on the alt bier in Düsseldorf.

2 Likes

There’s a fabulous Wurstbude (one of many) by the cathedral in Freiburg where I’ve been going for over 45 years, latterly with the daughters, Bratwurst, Thüringer Weisswurst, Bockwurst, Freiburger lange rote - all so good!

2 Likes

Not sure, I’ll have look next time I have some. In the summer they do a ‘saucisse a griller’ which taste identical in a kg 10 pack which are long and thin. Then some times they have mini ones with a herb in it which are yummy. Then in winter they do much fatter ones, 500gm 5 pack. I’ve learned they don’t always have them so try to stock up! I’m a bit funny about ‘bits’ in chipolata / merguez / Toulouse and don’t like all the fat cooking inside so they are great for me!

That rings a bell! To be confirmed once I’m covid free and can go out!

1 Like

Oh no! Is that “again”? Hope it’s only a mild attack and you are soon over it. :heart:

3 Likes

Tory I read that as a 10kg pack and that’s a lot of sausages :scream::laughing: I hope COVID isn’t as bad this time and get well soon.

Those Lidl sausages are the Nürnberg ones I think. I prefer the herb variant, but I’ll eat both.

Tory has reminded me I quite like them - they’re very close to British ones when cooked up - just a little oversalted relatively though. (Need beer?)

I’d been tuning these out as the colour reminds me of andouillette which I’ve only been served 2 or 3 times in my life but each time made me ill.

These Nürnberger things freeze very well too.

2 Likes

Shudder :nauseated_face::face_vomiting:

1 Like

In my case both times it was more spluuurt. Once at a work dinner which was embarrassing. Never again.

Love 'em, but the best I’ve ever had wasn’t in France, but in York at a French Christmas market twenty years ago - it had a sort of vanilla aftertaste…

But why are the best ones so expensive? €25 a kilo is the going rate for the top ones in Figeac.

€25 too much :wink: disgusting stuff.

It’s that time of year again… :+1:

1 Like

Sorry Vero, had to giggle as the names of those sausages followed “with the daughters”, made me think it was their names. LOL

2 Likes

My DIL got me eating Boudin Blanc for the first time last year. I have always had an aversion to things made from bits and pieces I’d rather not know about but when she showed me the ingredients and then cooked them, I was quite surprised and ate them all up. Its the noir and the thought of blood that makes me squirm as per the english black pudding stuff :face_vomiting:

Boudin is much nicer (imho) than black pudding, try boudin aux pommes, I was put off black pudding because we got it for breakfast at prep school and it had big lumps of nasty-textured fat in it, I don’t find boudin heave-making in the same way.

Very funny the sausage daughters :rofl:

2 Likes