When To Keep Things To Yourself

John Barnes talks a lot of sense.

1 Like

To be honest Jane that is one of the things in my mind,it is a form of racism, but also racism from white people to white people. Think against travelers, immigrants from Eastern Europe ,Jews etc

1 Like

White racism does exist Nellie…I experienced it on having to live very briefly back in the city where I was born…same road…same area…

Vile death threats from “foreign” law students when out walking my dogs…so vile that my partner filmed them several nights and called the police…we eventually got a half hearted written apology from them…

I’m of the opinion that ALL lives matter…so it took a bit of wrestling with my conscience before finally reporting them…

As it turned out I wasn’t the only complainant…

2 Likes

We used to have genuine Romanies come to help with harvest on our farm.

They would put their vardo in the orchard.

I wonder why Norman.

Of course we all have ‘racism’ or at least ‘prejudice’ towards others- even the North South Divisions in so many countries are based on this including the UK, Italy, Germany and I am sure many others. We all have a ‘them’ v. ‘Us’ button in our pysche, and I don’t see that going away any time soon.
Dare I say it, much of this is exposed in the Brexit so-called ‘debate’ in the UK at the moment.

3 Likes

In UK it is very common for “Northerners” to declare “I am from the North and proud of it” - I have never heard a “Southerner” say such a thing.

2 Likes

Absolutely correct Stella! I remember my old adversary Brian Milne on these pages saying something I regarded as very sage when he noted ‘we are all creatures of our experience’ and much of this is from childhood. Try growing up as the son of a single parent in the post-war years in the UK as an example.

I have heard people saying similar about being a Londoner though?

Yes I still carry the memory of Turkish beach Clubs, one French and one German adjacent to each other I would Watch the German placing the towels, being followed by the French man taking them off and throwing them in the sand!
I also recall the cheerful chaos of the French Club and the orderliness of the German one. Both sets of résidents seemed happy with their différences.

Being a southerner/Londoner, I’ll keep this to myself…:grin:

I[quote=“Mark_Robbins, post:52, topic:24404, full:true”]
Being a southerner/Londoner, I’ll keep this to myself…:grin:
[/quote]

I’ll join you for a sympathetic half pint then :stuck_out_tongue::last_quarter_moon:

1 Like

Yes it is and it has taken a few years for it to be seen as a problem…

I personally struggled with reporting for a few reasons…

a) They were young…b) The first time it happened I thought I might have misheard…c) I knew they were students as they hurled the vile abuse from three floors up in student accommodation…d) I didn’t particularly want to be the one that might end their future career…e) I was bothered about the backlash if they found out it was me that had reported them…

I’m no shrinking violet but I’ve never aimed a punch at another human being in my life either…I’d never felt intimidated before whilst walking my dogs anywhere but they started aiming the death threats at them as well as their racist and sexual death threats against me…

One of the times my partner filmed them we met up with someone from the university who said they would be happy to provide a witness statement…

I don’t know if we managed to stop something far worse happening to another woman by reporting them but I often wonder whether they were allowed to complete their law degree and if they did how an attitude like theirs has any place in the judicial system…???

And what to make of this…???

My home city prides itself on being one of multiculturalism…ethnic diversity…Ok My family moved away when I was two…but during my brief return there I met women involved in the campaign to put an end to fgm…

Film urges people across Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland to look out for and report signs of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM)

• Hard hitting film spells out the facts and dangers about FGM
  • Impending summer holiday season a peak time for FGM activity
  • Girls at risk of “procedure that will devastate her life for ever” warns leading FGM expert

A hard-hitting film was launched in 2015 by the Safeguarding Children Boards and three Clinical Commissioning Groups across Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland (LLR), urging people to be on the look-out for signs of FGM and report them to the police.

FGM is any procedure which involves the partial or complete removal of the external female FGM genitalia, or other injury to the female genital organs for non-medical reasons.

All types of FGM have been illegal in the UK since the 1985 Female Circumcision Prohibition Act.

Anyone suspecting FGM can report it by contacting

[(0116) 305 0005](tel:(0116) 305 0005) (Leicestershire County Council)

[(0116) 454 1004](tel:(0116) 454 1004) (Leicester City Council)

[(01572) 758 407](tel:(01572) 758 407) (Rutland County Council)

The film sets out the shocking health risks of FGM:

• Severe pain and shock, broken limbs (from being held down) infection, increased HIV/AIDS risk, urine retention, tissue injury and fatal haemorrhaging
  • In the short term, uterus, vaginal and pelvic infections, cysts and neuromas, infertility, increased risk of fistula, pregnancy and childbirth complications
  • In the longer term, psycho-sexual, psychological and social consequences, trauma flashbacks and depression
  • Around 10% of FGM victims die from short term effects and 1 in 4 from recurrent problems.

In the film, Dr Sudhir Sethi, LLR Designated Doctor for Safeguarding Children, says: “We have sizeable communities across Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland who may be at risk from FGM. From my perspective, FGM is a violation of the rights of a child. Children have a right to be protected from any form of torture, inhumane or degrading treatment.”

“If you act and protect one child, you will potentially be protecting many children in that child’s family, community and extended family.”

“The signs can be very subtle. The girl might simply say she is going on a long holiday and might simply say there is going to be a great celebration or a special event – or she may say she is going and will return as a proper woman. That’s all we will get.”

The film is available at https://youtu.be/2XdHwHGJHCk

http://lrsb.org.uk/fgm-female-genital-mutilation

1 Like

This MP objects to private members bills brought before parliament on a Friday afternoon as he says there isn’t time to debate them. Last year he objected to the ‘up skirting ‘ bill. If he isn’t careful he will start being accused of misogyny

He is an piece of misogynistic filth and completely hypocritical, he blocks private members’ bills he says “on principle” but strangely enough not his friends private members’ bills.

4 Likes

You can only hope that all of this is remembered come the next general election.

You would hope so but he has a massive majority so it is probably one of those constituencies that votes for the party not the person

The only hope is that he is ‘deselected’ by the local party membership.

1 Like