Where are you posting from in France?

I don’t think my face has ever been colder than when standing on Morecambe promenade in January - the wind seemed to tear at your flesh! However, the view across Morecambe Bay to the South Lakes is stunning, and even better if seen while walking across across the Bay at low tide in summer with Cedric Robinson, who was the official guide of the weirdly named Kent Sands for about half a century. And now of course there’s the restored art deco Midland Hotel by Urban Splash. On the other hand there’s also a lot of low grade public art, that’s unfortunately very popular;)

I’ve got an easy reading, vis culture paper on Morecambe Bay from a few years ago at
https://www.academia.edu/441229/Traversing_the_Wet_Sahara_

Kent sands is probably due to the River Kent emptying on to the bay in that area
Morecambe is going to be the home of the Eden Project north

1 Like

Thanks - very prompt!

In retrospect I think I probably knew that once upon a time, but that was long ago !

I hope Eden North goes ahead, the original Eden Project is sublime and unfortunately Morecambe needs all the help it can get.

In S Africa white migrants from the former Rhodesia, were often known as ‘when wes’ because they made so many references that began with, ‘when we lived in Rhodesia.’ I remember a former dean of my faculty telling me that following Zimbabwe’s independence one of my staff members (who was never very sartorially savvy) had at that time, ‘washed up in Grahamstown with nothing but a short wheel base Land Rover and a large pair of khaki shorts.’

Afrikaans speakers (although not my OH, at least within earshot) often refer to people of British descent as ‘rooineke’ which translates as ‘red necks’ and probably derives from early 1820 Settlers from Scotland and Ireland whose skins burned under the southern hemisphere sun. Of course, there’s also the implication that they weren’t sufficiently hardy to cope with the local climate and indeed, I knew several red-headed people of that ilk who had contracted skin cancer.

I’m all for showing location. As many have already noted. 83, St Raphael, where I live,
is very different from, just about anywhere else. That said, this idea shows clearly in other parts of Europe too. How about Germany?

1 Like

You can add your location anywhere on the globe :slight_smile:

Here is how you do it;

https://www.survivefrance.com/t/users-map-feature-and-how-to-opt-in

1/ Know it well, used to take all our visitors there. Puffins :smiley:
I’m in the burbs, in 91. Covid cured me of wanting to live in Paris.

1 Like

I’m 40 minutes from the 'dog poo and zebra crossing and haven’t had the same experience, but then I live in the countryside, albeit 10 minutes from the closest town. 🤷

1 Like

I press on my avatar and don’t get ‘preferences’ etc

@Peter_Bird do you get this though?

The person icon at the end is the icon for preferences… Then click on the cog icon to take you to the preferences menu.

under that you then can select Profile from the left panel.

1 Like

In our Facebook group After Brexit Brits living in the EU27 location is even more widespread. We have the following notice.
Where is “here” Please remember we live in 27 different EU countries. We may be used to posting in a one country group so everyone knows where “here” is. In this group we don’t.
Please don’t use “here” without mentioning “where”

I went to school 3 miles from Windscale/Calder Hall. We used to swim at Seascale, 1 1/2 miles south of the outfall from the plant [red arrow] .We were told that if we crossed that stream we would die…

I was there in 1958 when one of the worst nuclear accidents so far occurred - all hushed-up in that 1950’s British way. For years lamb and milk from the surrounding farms was tipped down old mine shafts.

We used to catch massive prawns in the rocks at either end of the beach, take them back to school where the cook cooked them for out Saturday tea. And all our fruit and veg was grown in the school kitchen garden …

So I glow in the dark as well!

That could be quite useful, Chris :thinking:

Probably close to where a friend took me swimming many years ago. It was a disaster from start to finish. First the dunes, complete with ‘beware of adders’ signs, then negotiating the herd of cows, and many cow-pats on the beach; then swimming out, seeing the big industrial plant along the coast, and being informed by my cheerful friend that it was Windscale - then, eventually, swimming back in, standing up - and seeing our clothes floating around among the cow pats in the incoming tide…

:poop: :open_mouth:

I keep trying to put my location in but usually get the 'too many times. Wait XX secs ’ I got that even on the first try! As the map shows a.t.mo if I ever get posted, I’ll be Mr. Northerly.

I give up. I have tried 5-6 times. Ever since the first attempt I get that ‘too many times’ When I do hit ‘save’ it tells me ‘Saved!’ - but the map ref ain’t. My website worked first time.

Seascale is vestige of the 1950’s easide village. The father of one of my school pals owned the corner shop, now a Mace. Our fave ice cream was the block between two wafers, whatever that was called.

We never had any problems with cow ats. You must have been swimming a lot further up the beach.

On a day like the one in the photo you could see the I.o.Man, where my pal ‘Speccy’ Furguson came from.

'Speccy, and I once had to carry the art mistress, Mrs Jamwrack [built along the lines of Hattie Jacques] 2kms down the coast road at Estepona, where the school moved for Easter term 1962. Mrs Jamwrack had been in the bodega and on the Vino de Malaga.

We used to call it a wafer messiest things ever

2 Likes

The trick was to eat it quickly before it melted :smiley:

The trick was to lick around all 4 sides as it was melting. Think it was just called an ice cream sandwich

1 Like