Where are you posting from in France?

I have a social-psychological interest (idle curiosity really) in the ‘expat’ vs, ‘immigrant’ differences. (It has been noticeable recently that the ‘sides’ in some discussions have split along the lines of those with an interest in France but who haven’t/wouldn’t commit to permanent immigration, versus those who have wholly committed to France. This is, I think, quite separate from the first/second homes split.)

1 Like

Yes Geof, I’m just as guilty of that by genrally calling myself an expat rather than immigrant even though we are fully committed to life in France with no real UK interests (other than our pensions income).
Must try harder.
Is it because the term “immigrant” conjures up bad vibes for us Brits perhaps :thinking:

I definitely see you as an immigrant rather than expat Graham.
For me, the negative associations go with the term ‘expat’ - it conjures up the idea of Brits living abroad but trying to make of it a little England, as they did with the Indian Raj, etc - and seeing themselves as eventually returning to ‘Blighty’.

2 Likes

heavens! no!! Not us… :wink:

1 Like

This is the first forum I have been on which does not actively encourage, or even insist, on locations being shown on each post.

I do prefer it, so many times people say ‘round here etc’ that the meaning is lost by the time a location is checked upon.

Although I don’t object myself, this is also the first forum that has insisted on real names being published. I do find that strange and, even when I know someone’s name on another forum, I don’t use it in a reply unless they have revealed it previously.

I have tried a number of times with no success. Are people just putting in postcode? That’s what ends me up in Hungary…

I agree entirely, to me the term ‘expat’ is far less welcome than ‘immigrant’.

1 Like

That’s what I did Jane and then there is a drop down to select the locale from that…

Possibly

However I’m more tempted to suggest that it’s (the popularity of the term ex pat, that is) because “immigrant” is three syllables and “ex-pat” just two.

How about the Australian option then, ‘migrant’ ?

2 Likes

Perhaps I watched too much Alf Garnett and “It’s yer immigrants, innit!” which caused my caution :wink:

1 Like

isn’t migrant an outgoer rather than incomer though?

The varying use of these terms for different groups of foreigners can be seen as implying nuances about wealth, intended length of stay, perceived motives for moving, nationality, and even race. This has caused controversy, with many asserting that the traditional use of the word “expat” has had racist connotations.[9][10] For example, a British national working in Spain or Portugal is commonly referred to as an ‘expatriate’, whereas a Spanish or Portuguese national working in Britain is referred to as an ‘immigrant’, thus indicating Anglocentrism.

(Wikipedia)

1 Like

I have just remembered that my first home in Oz was a migrant hostel. In Darwin. Not many actual migrants there, so many of my companions were dinky-dye.* :laughing:

*Real Strines.

1 Like

Finally! I have returned from Hungary and am now back in France…

1 Like

I don’t think my face has ever been colder than when standing on Morecambe promenade in January - the wind seemed to tear at your flesh! However, the view across Morecambe Bay to the South Lakes is stunning, and even better if seen while walking across across the Bay at low tide in summer with Cedric Robinson, who was the official guide of the weirdly named Kent Sands for about half a century. And now of course there’s the restored art deco Midland Hotel by Urban Splash. On the other hand there’s also a lot of low grade public art, that’s unfortunately very popular;)

I’ve got an easy reading, vis culture paper on Morecambe Bay from a few years ago at
https://www.academia.edu/441229/Traversing_the_Wet_Sahara_

Kent sands is probably due to the River Kent emptying on to the bay in that area
Morecambe is going to be the home of the Eden Project north

1 Like

Thanks - very prompt!

In retrospect I think I probably knew that once upon a time, but that was long ago !

I hope Eden North goes ahead, the original Eden Project is sublime and unfortunately Morecambe needs all the help it can get.

In S Africa white migrants from the former Rhodesia, were often known as ‘when wes’ because they made so many references that began with, ‘when we lived in Rhodesia.’ I remember a former dean of my faculty telling me that following Zimbabwe’s independence one of my staff members (who was never very sartorially savvy) had at that time, ‘washed up in Grahamstown with nothing but a short wheel base Land Rover and a large pair of khaki shorts.’

Afrikaans speakers (although not my OH, at least within earshot) often refer to people of British descent as ‘rooineke’ which translates as ‘red necks’ and probably derives from early 1820 Settlers from Scotland and Ireland whose skins burned under the southern hemisphere sun. Of course, there’s also the implication that they weren’t sufficiently hardy to cope with the local climate and indeed, I knew several red-headed people of that ilk who had contracted skin cancer.

I’m all for showing location. As many have already noted. 83, St Raphael, where I live,
is very different from, just about anywhere else. That said, this idea shows clearly in other parts of Europe too. How about Germany?

1 Like