Where is my mind? I am sure I put it here somewhere

small children experiences seem like a lifetime away for me, with all our boys aged between 40 and 28. But, I did have the chance to baby-sit last week (ages 5 and 7) and it was like plunging into a cold lake - after a few minutes warming up it all came flooding back. Having worked a year in pre-school childcare (more than 20 years ago, however) and looked after children of both my sisters, I've had plenty of experience. And I remember that fuzzy head feeling. It's hard work being a mum of young children - physically demanding and you need to be on your toes all the time. By the time they reach teenage years you have usually developed the mythical eyes in the back of your head.

A good friend of mine had two great sayings - one is: when you're a parent, you always think of your children, no matter how old they are. [so true]
The second is: youth is wasted on the young. By that she meant that when you are a bit older, more experienced with much more knowledge, you are often unable to use that wisdom due to physical constraints etc. ['if I knew then what I know now']

We don't have grand children yet, but it seems our young lads are in no hurry there :) I just wonder what that will be like - if and when it happens.

I am totally with you - I sometimes wonder if I could actually work again after almost 5 years of singing nursery rhymes and reading stories like Whiffy Wilson (The wolf that wouldn't wash)...I am pleased to confirm however that life is so much easier now the eldest 2 go to Maternelle. We have a routine to the day and everything revolves around that but I do actually manage to find time now and again to do a bit of what interests me...and in 2 years time when Maisy goes to Maternelle - you never know I might discover I have a working mind again...in the meantime I am busy planning a house renovation so that is a challenge in itself...dealing with French tradespeople, architects and engineers - and convincing them that my mind isn't mush! Hey ho!

You know if there is one thing the French embrace it's small children. I know where you are right now. I too was living in France with a 2 year old and 3 month old baby with very little French and a husband working to feed us. I look back now and laugh at the times we had, especially me trying to shop with two kids in tow. It really does feel like you are losing your mind. What it did do though was bring us together as a family as there were no friends or family to run and moan to and so we had to communicate. I found myself often at the park where other mums and kids were found and the language didn't seem to be so much of an issue. I look forward to reading your blog. My kids are now in their teens and almost done growing, but they still make me feel like I am losing my mind at times xxxx