Where to buy a bath?

One of Peter Green’s more obscure blues numbers. :wink:

The 2 systems are totally incompatible and the idea of taking a boot full of UK waste pipe and fittings to France is a none starter.
The UK push fit system is ok but after using the French ‘glued’ system its like comparing a Ford to a Rolls Royce,
French pipework is thicker and more rigid. The best way to use it is assemble dry and mark each joint with a marker pen so you know the exact position of the pipe to joint when gluing.
I have seen many distorted UK pipework due to lack of clips and hot water, French pipework is much stronger.

1 Like

Pipes etc will all be sourced locally - I’ve seen comments on compatibility on here before.

The French use even numbers, 15mm is the almost metric equivalent of the old 1/2" i/d.
Unless you bought it from a brit you’ll have 10, 12, 14 etc

I’ll give you one. I bought it then decided against installing it. Its a cheap standard size rectangular fibreglass effort with no fittings whatsoever.
It just standing there waiting for a new mummy and daddy.

That’s a kind offer Ally, but if I may politely decline, we have some specific requirements for the bath (double-ended, available deck surface for taps, dimensions etc). I’m sure it will be useful to someone.

Absolutely fine. I’ll stick on Marketplace and see if i get the price of a few pints for it. But since its been offered for free on here, that offer still stands.

1 Like

I used Manomano.fr on recommendation from a friend. Not only were they cheaper than Castorama, delivery was included. Inital purchase was for a shower base in aquaboard to tile which came with the drain. Other shops made you pay extra for the drain. I then bought the shower glass as again, not only was delivery free, but it arrived within a couple of days.

1 Like

1/2 inch BSP works both sides of the channel - I think you can use 14mm and 16mm with appropriate olives.

I brought my 12mm from the UK - much cheaper :slight_smile: (mainly, of course because it has less copper than French 12mm pipe).

1 Like

Ah yes pipe thread sizes rather than pipe O/D.
The old BSP in equivalent french sizes I believe from memory are:
3/8" BSP = 12x17
1/2" BSP = 15×21
3/4" BSP = 20x27

Providing the copper pipe is being used indoors the slightly thinner wall should never blow out unless it freezes. That said it wont be to the normes so an insurance claim could be disputed if they noticed.

2 Likes

It’s actually to CE, though not NF, plus the 0,6mm increase in internal diameter is a bonus in terms of flow.

Which turned out to be a false economy - not because of anything to do with UK vs French pipe, but because I thought I was going to use much more than I wound up doing - I thought I was going to have to run hot and cold to the new utility sink, but found half the job had been done for me with an unused run of 14mm already buried in the floor - so that did for the cold supply and I only had to run new pipe for the hot. Plus I thought I was going to put in an outside tap - which I simply gave up on as too much hassle for the dubious benefit.

1 Like

The more than ample french water pressure would make it unneccessary when compared to the pathetic Thames water 1 bar static I receive in the UK in which case it needs all the help it can get :joy:

Our cold water tank gives us about 1 meter head of pressure for the shower. Canadian visitors staying with us sometimes struggled because they were used to a power shower, however it’s quite adequate, and I prefer a more gentle shower experience, not to mention it saves water.

1 Like

Yes I am with you A M, water saving and dont like being shot blasted. The advantage with france an the potential higher pressure is the shower doesnt suffer if someone runs a tap or flushes the toilet. That said I have water restricting washers inside the shower hose to cut water usage. That came from the rental days and incredible water usage before we modified it. In the UK on a Saturday morning without my booster pump it was impossible to have a shower, 4 houses plumbed on to one supply! It meant barely a trickle would come out of a tap. 1.5 bar turbine pump cured the issue.