Where to buy new English books in France

I sympathise since I’m keen on Hive for the same reason. But I’m in the UK and we have three good small bookshops in our town plus a Waterstones and an Oxfam bookshop (I asked our wonderful local one, but they said they were only doing local deliveries, I’m afraid). In your place I would try Waterstones (it was re-extracted from W H Smith by James Daunt in 2011, and though a hedge fund now has a big stake they don’t tend to hold on to things like that), or Blackwells.

1 Like

…and I forgot FNAC, which I often use to get French books, though they carry a lot of English ones too. They have an excellent website and I find them reliable and efficient.

1 Like

I just receive an email from www.fusac.fr, where they mention bookstores in Paris including one with used books!Perhaps another source, that could help readers to survive the rainy fall and winter days!

1 Like

Thanks, but about 200km from where we’ll be. I’d love to have a few new books, but a 5hour round trip is a bit excessive☹️

For the other helpful suggestions, FNAC won’t deliver second hand books and new English language ones are a very silly price. And the English Bookshops in Paris don’t do mail order at all - and now is not really the moment for a trip to Paris :mask:

Lucky that I like re-reading books!!

Or try ordering online from Rombach or Walthari in Freiburg im Breisgau, they might post.

1 Like

Probably any Bigger French book store can order the books for you if you ask them

Sure they can, that’s a pretty obvious solution as it is what bookshops do. But then you are paying the price for an imported foreign language book, rather than the cover price. And that price is often twice the original price.

Don’t have to be much more expensive my sister worked in book industry for some years she told me allot

Well I must be unlucky then as all the books I’ve looked at that are around £12.99 in UK are over 25€ plus delivery from bookshops here. Internet of course slightly better, but less morally sound.

Thats not much for a book that you order in

I order English books for my pupils from my local bookshop, so far for my 1° Animal Farm (Penguin) and The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time (Vintage) came in at €18.60 for the pair, and for my T° The Handmaids’s Tale (Vintage) and The God Of Small Things (4th Estate) were €21.30 for the pair.
They were ordered by the bookshop from the UK, I collected cheques and then collected the books themselves. I don’t get a special price.
I could tell my pupils to get a particular book on Amazon, it would be less effort - but I’d rather not, for all sorts of reasons.

2 Likes

Brilliant! Our local shop is not as helpful unless at a price.

Well the bookshop makes barely any profit but it is still getting on for 80 copies of each book, which they wouldn’t necessarily be selling otherwise so it must help with turnover.

1 Like

Ahhh…80 copies of each. That could make a difference, a couple of centimes on each would add up to the surcharge my bookshop asks on an order of one book…

Hi
For anyone near Cahors (46), there is a great Anglo-French bookshop called Livres, Books and Company in MONTCUQ run by a lovely blingual lady called Natalie.
Link here : Livres Books and Company
Call ahead to see if she has what you want, or she will order for you if not.
She also runs a super Tea café with some delicious light bites & simple lunches.

1 Like

Crikey, that’s a name I’ve not heard in a while…!

I still remember when I was a stagiaire back in the mid-90s having to go to the American Cathedral in Paris to pick up the latest copy of the Fusac newsletter (printed on paper nonetheless!), and then studying the small ads to desperately try and find somewhere to live. That experience scarred me for life!

Sorry for going off topic :smiley:

1 Like

Don’t worry about it! I get newsletters and most of them I delete. Who in the right mind would travel to Paris (their main area) right now?!

I have just discovered a FABULOUS 2nd hand bookshop in Eymet, completely wonderful and full of marvellous things I love, absolutely heavenly.

2 Likes
3 Likes