Where's your washing machine?

All round terrible performance :frowning:

But illustrative of the fact that dryers are problematic items.

If needed we go to the Super U which has machines & dryers outside which we’ve used for larger items and when in a hurry to get stuff dry before we leave.

In the UK house, Wm & Td behind a door in one of our two larders off the kitchen. Previously in a cubby off the bathroom. No plans to have them in France, but they would go in the bathroom downstairs if we did.

In the supermarket car park!

I worked out that the €10/18kg machines could take all the linen and towels from the gîte (and sometimes other stuff as well if not all 4 beds) and wash them for less than it costs us to do it at home.

In both London and Paris living in flats we had neither as launderette was close. Here the WM is in the buanderie and we have washing lines for drying.

3 Likes

See above, it’s definitely where we keep the dryer :slight_smile:

From memory there was a piece of EU legislation that if a fault was identified it was the manufacturer who had to correct it on behalf of the customer at no charge as it was a fault with their design/manufacture.

1 Like

Where a home owner keeps the washing machine surely depends on construction of space and plumbing costs. A Zanussi washer-dryer tucked into a compact fitted kitchen is surely better than having no washing machine at all?

I would agree with @Corona though about having a washing machine in a bathroom. If the room is used as a bathroom, closed and steamy in winter, not at all recommended for a washing machine.

Sounds like a first world problem. :smirk:

To say nothing of it rusting very quickly if its a steamy bathroom and never properly ventilated.

1 Like

ah… it sounds as if “they” referred to Dar*y… but, it’s a fair cop, gov… :anguished:
now you’ve explained “they” referred to the Manufacturer … :wink: :wink:

Incidentally, there is obviously a very different Service when buying from a Store than On-line… I’ve always found Darty to be very helpful and they certainly took away an old fridge… years ago… when they delivered a new one… but that was organized face to face.

The Appliance of Science… wonderful stuff… washing machines, dishwashers, fridges etc etc
Good prices, worked well and lasted for centuries… :wink: :wink:

1 Like

That is a legal requirement now, whether bought online or in store.

2 Likes

legally I believe in France they must take the old one away?

Darty=Kingfisher=Dixons… Ahem

In Germany just now. Mom has had a washing machine in the bathroom for the last 50 years. Machines last on average about 15 years. No damage from condensation or steam…
In France I have a washer & dryer in the sous sol. Line to dry clothes outside and a sheila maid for the winter. Sometimes I also use a rack infront of the fire.

Washing machine is in it’s own cupboard in our little used large downstairs bathroom. The dryer is in the garage and is only used HC when there’s no other option. Got an airer in our veranda and outside lines too.

My washing machine is in the buanderie along with two freezers and cupboard and shelves for dry goods, tins and other food items. I also have one of these suspended from the ceiling for drying clothes. It works very well as the buanderie has a a VMC inlet in it.

clothes_dryer

1 Like

Blimey, never knew that. Very interesting!

Oh, and our washing machine is in a small buanderie that leads from the kitchen to the garage.

I had MIL Zanussi drawer freezer after she died in 1990 right upto 2005. We actually bought it for her as a present in 1978.*I only got rid of it because it was not large enough for all our needs. I also had as my first washing machine in 1982, a Zanussi washer/dryer which was quite large and that lasted nearly 18 years. It had a door that covered the front so you could not see what it was. Zanussi were a really good make, are they still around?

I bought the Ecobubble in 2020, they simply refused to install it or take the old LG one away. I have a fair few bits of LG stuff, they last for ages too, the washer was almost 14 years old and it was the bearing that went and the LG PC screen I am using at the moment, I bought in Lidl in 2005, still going strong.

at the risk of thread drift…
I suggest folk do try local businesses… whenever possible.

We have a shop not many km’s away… which will deliver “white goods” bought from their premises… they’ll connect 'em too … and take away the old stuff.
In the past they’ve matched “internet prices” or as near as makes no difference… and they have engineers/plumbers available for swift action… if there is a breakdown…

2 Likes

Absolutely! That’s priceless. Try getting Darty to come out within 24 hours.

When we first arrived… we headed for Darty… as we knew no better :wink: :wink:
but, one lives and learns… :+1: