Which would you choose?

My brambles are about 4-5ft high and thick. Do you reckon one of these will do the job? I thought I’d probably have to spend a lot more money and get one with a blade.

If they have removable strimmer line heads, then a blade should fit (most come with a blade as standard).

2 Likes

Hi Eddie, I get the impression Mum’s machine was a “Friday afternoon” one. The wand (tube thingy) was increasingly difficult to detach so Dyson sent us a new one. The suction also got worse as the the machine filled with dust so had to be emptied after just a few minutes. Terrible machine.
Izzy x

1 Like

My now ancient Stihl brushcutter was a birthday present many years ago from my partner and was the best present I’d ever had! At that time, the plot was a wilderness, so it was the only way to clear the area and keep it cleared. After a few years we found that the strimmer line head was all we needed and then a few years after that we bought a lawn mower. Unfortunately with the neglect of the past few years, the brush cutter has reemerged from hiding!

Regarding the original question, I think ride-ons are fine for big expanses of plain grass (in the parkland style popular with traditional French people round here) but if you have significant slopes or intricate bits, then no!

1 Like

we have significant slopes and use a ride on - just need to plan how and when you do it :wink:

1 Like

Thanks to everyone for your very helpful replies. So I abandon the cheap ride-on mower idea and go for looking after the floors.

Looks like Dyson maybe one to avoid but there are stacks of other makes and models from Lidls cheapest and upwards. Given that I’ll need a cordless vacuum AND a floor cleaner (are any of these cordless?) I’d be grateful for suggestions as to what to choose, bearing in mind:

Large rooms
Lots of nooks and crannies
Two and three steps up and down everywhere between rooms
Corners and under dressers where mongrel’s fluff collects
Bottom of kitchen units where crumbs collect
Tiles most places, wooden lounge floor with rugs
Mud on tiles brought in by OH and Airedale (who has VERY big paws) after morning walks

I guess you’re talking about a steam mop for cleaning the floor. My OH insisted she absolutely had to have one, dog, me, etc…what a waste of money. It was used once and now just takes up cupboard space (not cordless either). Mop and bucket gets the job done easier and cheaper.

I just got a Shark IZ201, about €250. Only one battery but it lasts about 40 minutes apparently, which is at least 35 minutes too long :scream:

1 Like

We have both the cordless vacuum cleaner and the floor polisher.
We got a G Tech because we have a border collie and they use on on their ads. It really does work on the large mat in our salon, the on.y carpet in the house.
The other one I have seen which I would think about is the Shark which has a special brushes for dealing with hair.
We have an AirCraft for both cleaning and polishing the oak flooring and the tiling. Jim does that and he has a bad back. He finds that he does not have to push it hard to make it work and it is very successful.

1 Like

My disabled friend love the Gtech as can carry it. Agree with Mark that basic steam cleaners are useless. Ours is also covered in dust in the cupboard. Unless I washed the floor 4 times first it just left streaks.

1 Like

Boeing or Airbus :thinking: :slightly_smiling_face:
We looked at GTech some time ago but there appeared to be no French plug version (for the battery).

We use an adaptor.
As we don’t fly at all, not really a problem, but I wouldn’t be happy in anything Boeing, even their new rocket failed its test launch.

1 Like

I know people say not to worry about adaptors but I’m not that keen on using them. Were possible, we have replugged with the French version and I think now, after 13 years here, we only have a table lamp (a very special wedding present from V’s cousin) we didn’t want to part with that didn’t come with a French plug.
When I spoke to GTech on the phone, the sales person was completely arrogant and I decided that sort of attitude didn’t deserve my patronage.

1 Like

My mum had a Gtech, absolute piece of crap and forever breaking

1 Like

Absolutely agree, it is just the micro fibre cloth and the water doing the cleaning. What little steam there is condenses in less than a second to water when it hits the cold floor.

1 Like

Mine has one too for lightness, does a pretty good job without any breakdowns. My criticism is the fine dust seems to be ejected into the air as I often begin to sneeze after using it.

1 Like

Well that is always the problem with great filtration. HEPA in this case. eventually though the surroundings get cleaner and the problem reduces.
No different to swimming pool filtration DE powder filters very fine particles out so get clogged easier and is messy and expensive. Drydens glass also filters very fine particles out but is easier to clean ready to use again.
My personal experience of Dyson, owned 3 different ones is bits of plastic breaking off so frequently ordering new parts. Now on a Shark with the addition out front roller which is great on pet hair and the anti hair wrap is also good. Versatile machine,

2 Likes

Or this one !

No need to choose - all are great labour saving devices so search for a good second hand mower on facebook or bon coin and use the savings to shop around for the best price/value cordless vac - not just the most advertised - then wait until after summer for the purchase of a floor cleaner which would be stood idle for3-4 months if we have a dry summer - enjoy the search .