Who has been interogated by the "HSBC safeguard initiative"

How far did they take this with your husband?
Did they ask him how much he earnt
How much his outgoings were on utilities…and how much was he worth?
And did he have to get someone legally to verify his status?

No, just verifying how long he’d had the account, asked to confirm some transactions, … he got the impression they wanted to ask about levels of income, etc., perhaps for marketing purposes but it was quite short and functional.

The British Banking industry is heavily regulated. If you feel that your bank has behaved badly, report them.

perhaps I should.

How would you react if you were treated in the same way?

If I was really concerned I would complain. I have been asked to confirm various financial,situations by both my British and French banks but have never felt threatened by their interest. Your situation is obviously quite different.

The fact of the matter is that US authorities HAVE NO JURISDICTION in Europe as regards Americans holding accounts here.

It seems that such has not been recognized by a court of law here in Europe. But were that to happen, then the American authorities would have to back off.

And it wont happen until Americans abroad start doing something about it - like bringing a court case to a European court to cease and desist with FATCA implementation …

Ok Anna…maybe I was not “chosen” but I was dealt with in an unpleasant manner…and, I am inncocent.

It is just not acceptable to be put through all this stress and upset because HSBC needs to prove themselves.

I had to spend time and effort to prove who I was and that I was genuine. I got 50 pounds towards this!

Took it up with the Financial Ombudsman which felt that had a winning case…and that got nowhere…

Why because I stood no chance against the mighty and wealthy banking institute.

When it happens to you …perhaps you will understand how horrible it really is to be innocent and hounded by your bank which you have been with for more than 30 years.

There is strength ONLY in numbers in government matters.

Americans abroad need to be an integral group with legal representation. That means, in Europe, in the EU as well as the UK (in the future). It means also independently in Switzerland, which is not a member of the EU. And, of course, in the rest of world as well - but, this last bit is significantly harder.

When is that going to happen? Good question, and FATCA brings that question to a head. I maintain that taxation is not fundamentally international in nature. It is a national issue passed by national governments elected by residents of the country - that is, strictly US-wide and EU-wide (and UK-wide in the near future).

I repeat, the US is the only country to tax its citizens also whilst they are abroad and regardless if their residency abroad is permanent!

But, as long as we Yanks abroad think we are all “independent”, then nothing will happen. Because (at least for the EU) we are obliged to go before an EU court of justice for redress (as regards FATCA). In this matter of taxation whilst abroad, our only strength is in our number of “concerned individuals”.

Frankly, I think that redress is worth the effort. But, many fellow Americans may not be of that inclination …

1 Like

I am going through this now. I have also been banking with them for over 40 years. I opened my account in 1973. They have seen me through countless events, marriage, divorce, marriage, death of a partner, marriage dozens of house purchases. People in the branch know me personally. I am living in Egypt and they want proof of address. Ha ha ha. And it mustn’t be a P O Box. Well I am an American Express card holder and you are allowed to use their travel office. So my address is American Express Luxor. Nearly 2 years ago I provided them with a P2 HMRC P60 Legal and General. They said it was sorted. Then it wasn’t. Twice I have had compensation from them because they have messed me around and it still hasn’t finished!!!

Why do they not look at their records…their history?
They have made me very miserable and have treated me badly…
I am paying all my taxes.

And the ombudsman is on their side…why?
Are they one of the same co???

Your reply is derogatory and offensive, even if you finish it with an emoticon.

Sandy, frisking is one thing, but touching inappropriately is another.

Hi Jane - I did send you a private message this morning to sincerely apologise for causing you any offence - I hope you received it. It was most definitely not my intention and it’s quite obvious my attempt at humour back in June completely misfired. I hope you accept this ‘public’ apology. If it helps I’m no longer an active member of SFN but felt it important to respond to you. Best Regards / Simon :slight_smile:

Good morning Simon.Good morning Jane.

Perhaps I should take the time to make an addition of all the comments I
have received about my drinking habits…and that, perhaps I am indulgent!

Far from the truth as I may drink 2/4 glasses of alcohol a year!

Not bothered…although if life gets any more complicated…perhaps things will
change…migrains or no migrains.

Sometimes we say things impulsively and they really were a mistake.
It is not possible to be good all the time.
Simon I hope that remain an active member on SF and Jane I am sure
that you realise that this was naughty…but an apology followed and that
was important.

Someone who makes an apology is a decent type…

1 Like

Thank you. Apology accepted.

I had my account for 25 years, and live overseas.
I received the letter asking for ID+address proof. They have already blocked my savings account saying it was inactive. They will not release it until I meet the Safeguard requirements to start with.
I don’t know what is next but I am paranoid that one day I am going to find my cards blocked when I need them the most.
The CS phone line is a No, no. They say the accurate answer to my questions should come from the Safeguard team or my branch, but they say they are not able to transfer directly to a branch and the phones numbers given to the remedial team do not work (40min wait not answer)
Now the safeguard phone line and jumio is officially discontinued, where are we supposed to send the certified copies? to the branch?

Printing out my past account statements to hold some proof that I had money on my accounts in case they close it, and I need to take legal action, I saw this unrequested invitation which only appears on the 2017 anual printed statement:
**" If you wish, you may close your account at any time and move it to an alternative provider who has agreed to open an account for you " **

I then realized that their agenda is to close my account and probably many others. Anything else is to bang my head against the wall. Feel like crying.

@Fer_Miguel

Hello Fernando… Welcome to our friendly forum. I 'm sure someone will chime in soon with an answer.

Meanwhile… please could you amend your Registration page to show your full name…

thanks… :grin:

1 Like

It seems to affect some people more than others.
They gave me hell and they just did not treat me with respect.
But I have no idea why they do not let go.
I am NOT laundering…have not got much to launder.

thanks Stella, I will do right now

1 Like

Banked with them since I was 16, worked for them for 4 years - I just told them I wasn’t prepared to jump through hoops (certified translations etc) to prove to them I am who I’ve always been. I told them to do their worst and, so far, I’ve been left ‘untouched’. Couldn’t care less if they close my accounts - plenty of other banks out there!