Why are white people expats when the rest of us are immigrants?

Having lived and worked in different countries, and travelling a lot, I simply consider myself "a woman of the world".

Having said that, I feel Irish in my blood and will always relate easily to the country I was born and raised. Good and bad.

I think everyone has their own take on both terms mentioned in the article, and it create a great debate. But there is also the media coverage and how the terms are used politically and legally that influences our opinions and beliefs.

My German husband moved to Ireland in the 80s. He had an "alien' card to allow him to live in a foreign country. I know we didn't have the EU back then, but we did have the feckin EEC. And seeing that most of our 'assistance' money was coming from Germany, wasn't it a bit disrespectful to legally brand him an alien?

Perhaps we should have labelled him 'benefactor' :-)

The CPAM calls us immigrants.

I am an English European living in France.

I think it depends on your life in your new country, I feel far more an immigrant than an expat. My whole life is here, my OH and kids are French, I work, live and play in French 99% of the time (1% = sfn!). Interested to see what others think/how they feel...?!