Why Facebook is so dangerous

an instant-message exchange in which the 19-year-old founder crows over the data Harvard students shared with him.

ZUCK: yea so if you ever need info about anyone at harvard
ZUCK: just ask
ZUCK: i have over 4000 emails, pictures, addresses, sns
FRIEND: what!? howā€™d you manage that one?
ZUCK: people just submitted it
ZUCK: i donā€™t know why
ZUCK: they ā€œtrust meā€
ZUCK: dumb fucks

Charming!!!

From an article with reference to a 2020 book Lurking , author Joanne McNeil

His ambition has not diminished with success; Facebook is currently gathering data on users who donā€™t even have Facebook profiles, in an effort to index every single person on the planet.

According to McNeil, Zuckerberg never abandoned the view of his own users as ā€œdumb fucks.ā€ ā€œAt its worst,ā€ she writes, ā€œFacebook is fully parasitic of everything human, while also, with its preset filters and artificial groupings, bulldozing the agency of users as individuals.ā€ With humor, she adds that she tries to maintain some critical distance when writing about tech platformsā€”but Facebookā€™s banal terribleness outmatches her capacity for objectivity. ā€œI hate it. The company is one of the biggest mistakes in modern history, a digital cesspool that, while calamitous when it fails, is at its most dangerous when it works as intended. Facebook is an ant farm of humanity.ā€

2 Likes

I agree with her wholeheartedly.

2 Likes

Good link Fleur. The ā€œlikeā€ button on Facebook is a two way street. It promotes the thing youā€™ve liked but it also adds to your profile that youā€™ve liked it.

FB isnā€™t about advertising, I wouldnā€™t mind that. Itā€™s about user manipulation.

2 Likes

Havenā€™t read this yet but it seemed so pertinent to our discussion I thought Iā€™d link itā€¦

Good link Geof with very good points, all of them worrying. The most significant for me is ā€¦ * "secretly conduct experiments on its customers, in an attempt to change their moods or behaviours ā€“ something Facebook has done in the past.ā€

This is Big Brother on steroids.

ā€œI already have 4 people following meā€ā€¦ You forgot the taxman

1 Like

Mine tooā€¦itā€™s how I got to hear of them :grinning:

True, and that must be driving Zuckerberg wild. Heā€™s done a lot of bad things when not under pressure. One wonders what heā€™ll do next.

Heard maniacally cackling from his evil Facebook lair :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I have friends in Gazaā€¦and friends of Palestine and friends from Australia and USA who have gotten into Gaza and friends who are journalists in Gazaā€¦

A few years back I was posting the most dreadful injuries to children as they appeared live on my feedā€¦I was never censoredā€¦since I reactivated I noticed a restriction on a years old post documenting these injuriesā€¦not because it wasnā€™t factual but because it might be sensitive to some viewersā€¦

FB gives people the info they want, but it was chilling to watch a report of a covid person from the hospital bed with breathing mask on CNN this afternoon, who was misguided by FB and now regrets very much to have followed the information about the vaccination. It was 10 minutes long and eye opening! Hopefully more people get vaccinated!!!

1 Like

What are your thoughts on this writerā€¦???

Only just recently come across thisā€¦

Is anyone following Edward Snowden on Twitterā€¦??? I donā€™t have a Twitter account but thereā€™s a few I catch up with every day nowā€¦

To be honest Helen I donā€™t really read any bloggers unless I know them personally (like Laurence Demarco, who I do read every Friday if I can). Generally, I read lots of books - and I tend to stick pretty much to ā€˜classicsā€™ - that have been recognised over many years by many people as containing important insights or other qualities.

1 Like

Iā€™ll put him on my follow list x

Laurence is Scottish (of Italian extraction) and writes a lot about Scottish politics - but also about the experience of ageing, on which I think he has interesting things to say.

1 Like

An act of tremendous bravery by my friend Mi Mi in Yangon.
All of the comments express worries for her health and safety.
Danger on Facebook - but rather more immediate than most people thinkā€¦

Now hereā€™s a delicious irony: the Chinese app TikTok is replacing Facebook in part because of its much more sophisticated content moderation. The reason for this? Precisely that it was developed in Chinaā€™s ā€˜highly controlled digital spaceā€™ā€¦