Why is it so hard to find a reliable and reasonable architect?!

Sounds about right Cat. We're in the process of looking for architects/builders to come up with plans for our 2 x Gite restoration. We've already had a quote from a reputable Dutch architect for about €7.5k (inc tax). However this didn't include any project management; just 3 options, 3d drawings, final plans and submission to town council.

I've worked with builders in the UK trade who are perfectly capable of putting together detailed plans for a restoration or new build. I would look at this avenue as well.

Im actually trying to source reliable builders myself if anyone has any recommendations in the Aude, Ariege region?

Neil Vesma is based in Villereal, Lot et Garonne. He is English but has been in France for quite a few years. He did plans for our new build (he has done renovations too) about six years ago for the same going rate as in the UK. Others have used him round here too. He is easy to Google. Give him a ring and ask what the going rate should be and whether he can work for you taking into consideration the distance, though these days with computers distance should not be an issue.

I am a British architect- but retired and living in France. I am not taking on any work but I'm happy to talk you through the processes available over the telephone. You can find me in the telephone directory at Scrignac 29640 (Brittany). Having done literally hundreds of domestic projects in the UK over a period of many years I can tell you that domestic work is very time consuming if to be done properly and an architect's time needs to be paid for. Fee levels have dropped dramatically over the years, especially in the UK, but the French adhere more rigidly to fee rates recommended by their professional body. Different levels of service are of course possible but if you pay little you are likely to end up with commensurate service. You are unlikely to find an architect to do anything on a private house for less than 6% plus VAT and expenses but my firm in London usually charged about 14.5% plus VAT and expenses on the full service on domestic jobs, and we got plenty of such work at that level. The full service included all work stages, frequent briefing meetings and at least weekly site visits during construction. Many clients don't like paying these fee levels. They want to have an architect, but pay them much less, yet still accept responsibility for anything that goes wrong during the long and complicated building process. Do not confuse architects with "architectural designers" etc. There are plenty of frauds around. Architect's estimates of cost may frequently be on the "safe" side as if a client goes ahead on that basis and higher costs come in (for whatever reason and client up speccing is often the reason) then the client refuses to pay the architect and most architects have been caught this way. Many architects wont do domestic work as its so time consuming and nursing the clients through is not for everybody!

Hi Cat, I'm sorry you have had such difficulties finding a suitable architect. I'm an English architect working in France and would never dream of letting a client wait 6 months!! However, we are based in the Rhône Alps, so probably a bit far from you to help!

Regarding costs, as an example, depending on the extent of architectural involvement that you require, fees can vary from approx. 2.5% of the estimated contract sum for planning permission stage, up to around 7.5% of contract sum for full project management on site. Obviously this is dependant on the scale and complexity of the project, but should give you some idea of likely cost (there are also efficiencies of scale to be taken into account, with a small project sometimes requiring almost as much design input as a larger more straight forward one) . Most of our clients tend to opt for an architectural design up to and including planning permission, with perhaps some further input to produce General Arrangement drawings if required. They then organise the costing & construction works themselves or with the help of a construction project manager.

Also, regarding your original architect, if you have signed a contract with them, (which if they are registered with the Ordre of Architectes, they legally need to start work), then they should be contractually obliged to carry out their mission.

Best of luck with your project! Mel (4d Architecture.com)

Hi. I know an English Architect just establishing in France in 16 ... he should be very reasonable

Hi I will write more later but whatever you do don’t sign a full end to end engagement with an architect. We have had a very expensive experience so far well over 9000 euro and all we have is a set of plans and a half finished set of documents for trades. We are in process of getting estimates with builders ourselves now with help from friends in commercial building trade. I am sure there are good architects out there but the 10% of all works appears to mean there is little incentive to drive out best costs. So far by seeking devis myself I have had quotes 50% cheaper than the architect estimates and all these trades have decennale assurance are French registered and signed up to various French artisan bodies.

Try Steve Davies from renovateinfrance.co.uk he designed our barn conversion for us and is very reasonable

Was just reading your experiences with architects and wondered did you get your renovation done?

Hi Teresa, I project managed it myself! It’s taken longer but we have exactly what we want and we are within budget. Along the way we’ve actually set up a smarthome business as it was important for us to have a home as passive as possible and which is connected, Ive retrained into home automation and now we have a fully registered and insured French smart home business and I’m working with local architects, construction companies and customers helping them design smart homes (basically we connect all the lighting, heating cooling blinds, gates & audio visual which can be controlled from a smart phone both at home and away. Our learning experience led us into setting up a totally new and developing business in France and for that I’m totally grateful for the journey we took (ignoring the expense as it motivated us to do it differently!!)

1 Like

Lovely to hear. Sounds like you had a fascinating journey.
We only need a few tweaks in our house and I dread it.
What sort of heating do you have? I’d love a warm home in winter.

1 Like