Withdrawal agreement – what counts as residence

They all have RAL numbers Christopher and a “standard” green, blue etc. Green shutters in my neck of the woods are all RAL 6021. I painted ours in that shade the first time around but I just replaced them with aluminium and bingo… they’re RAL 6021.

I looked at RDR3 Statutory Residence Test on the Gov.uk website to see if that might shed some light on the matter…(think I will re read later when I am less tired… Lol)

Do be aware that what one country sets in terms of residence doesn’t necessarily match another country,'s tests. So for example if you have quite a peripatetic lifestyle you can find that you are not resident in either country - or vice versa and resident of both. Normally when there is a complex question the deciding factor will be your country of nationality.

I was in this category. I simply came and went from UK to SP via FR as I fancied, 90 days be damned. I eventually went for Sp residency becauase the only property I owned was there, I was spending more time in Sp and I wanted to get signed up for their NHS with the S1.

Now I’m four-square in and for FR and not messing about. The only home I have is this little cottage. I expect, barring a lucky happenstance such as got me installed here, my flat in VLC will stand empty till well after New Year.

I knew I’d seen it somewhere else - one of my property faves. Looks fab. image

Talking of colours, can we get back to ‘wholemeal digestive biscuit’? I put this question back in June, I think it was. A bit early to tell then but now those of you between the Loire and Poitiers and west of Vierzon have had a full summer, how was it for you? Grass like rafia? Colour of ‘wholemeal digestive biscuit’?

The cottage in the pic is just due east of Valency and SW of Vierzon.

It was the thought of frying pan [Spain] to fire [Central France] that had me switch to Normandy. But I could take a bit more heat if it wasn’t the debilitating, impossible 3 months of 35-40C of Spain.

And in the case of dual nationality ?

How many people have dual nationality and don’t clearly fit the residence criteria of one country over another? Probably not very many, and my guess would be it is your birth nationality that would prevail.

For most people tax authorities aren’t hugely bothered, it is only the very, very rich that tax authorities fight over and want to keep.

And some shutters come with very attractive catches

Shutter catch

These shutters are evidently never closed. The other sides of the shutters are as if painted a month ago. This side is considerably weathered.

1 Like

can’t close some of our shutters… we’ve bats snuggling behind them… :roll_eyes: and I haven’t the heart to evict them.

In UK that would be a criminal offense. I had a spell of living in buildings as a ‘guardian’ - “Security through occuption” was the company slogan.

One was an Old Folks Home based on Sir Walter Scott’s Queen Anne mansion in Cheltenham. No bats. Mr SuperDry bought it and turfed us out to make ‘Posh flats’

But another was a police station/magistrates court in Frome, Somerset. The ventilator in the pantry room was home to a colony of bats. The squeaking was OK but the droppings on our food cupboards was not. We were warned off disturbing them or we’d end up in the basement - in the cells.

The Cells 3 500

We’ve had a mix of 3 different varieties… but never more than 6 in total at any one time.

Any bat droppings drop way down below where no-one can go/get to… so I don’t think we need worry.

We have been told that bats are protected here… so we live and let live.

They all did vanish in the hardest winter… -20c… but came back for the summer…

Under the “old rules” taxe foncieres, taxe d’habitaion, EDF etc bills weren’t sufficent. Any body owning using a property would have one of those regardless of whether they are resident, well according to the people at our prefecture.

The people at the prefecture said you had to provide evidence that you had declared your income with the Impot. There is a logic in this as being tax resident establishes your credibility as being physically resident in France.

The latest advice, for those of us that have manage to screw a CdS out of the Frenchbureaucracy, is that you have a CdS, whether expired or not. For those of us that do not have CdS we have certain quidelines to comply with but we can provide any other document we choose to prove our right to reside in France and how long we have had that right.

BUT, the French Government only commits to providing our CdS before the date that we are required to be able to produce one (end June 2021 or October 2021 accrording to which source you read).

Don’t expect to get your CdS any time soon! EU27s in the UK get a better deal than this!

Any chance you could stop being quite so appallingly vitriolic towards your host country?

And for anyone reading this who might possibly think that Mr. Pigney is talking anything other than utter bile, we got ours in 2019 and have just swapped them for the new version. The French govt is bending over backwards (IMO) to accommodate British immigrants. A bit of gratitude might not go amiss.

11 Likes

Just-in-time delivery is a modern, efficient way to do business. No-one needs one right now, and I’ve never been asked for mine in all the years I’ve had it. If they wish to, why shouldn’t each préfecture collect up and process all their UK immigrant dossiers, and then send them all off to be printed after June when applications close.

If it were me in charge the criteria would not be as generous! So many thanks due to France.

4 Likes

And also, where did you get that from ? Link please as it was apparently the French govt so presumably on their site?

2 Likes

Catherine,

No vitriol, just passing on our experience.

It is not “bile” as you call it but facts we have been supplied with by various government officials and our experience of buying property, cars dealing with tax, social security local mairies, planning departments…. over the past 20 years.

Other people have other experiences and I thought the purpose of a forum such as this was to share those experiences whether good (as most of ours have been) or bad (as some of ours have been).

Best,

Grahame Pigney

P Help save paper - please don’t print this email unless you really need to.
P Sauvegardons la planète. Avez-vous vraiment besoin d’imprimer cet e-mail?

‘Screw’ is vitriolic IMO.

Nothing you say on the subject makes any sense whatsoever. Numerous posters have tried to point that out.

The online portal is now open and proving easy to use. So what the hell is your issue?

6 Likes

Catherine,

“screw” is not vitriolic. It represents the facts of the matter, we have managed to extract (well almost) a CdS despite the changing positions of French bureaucracy.

Vitriolic is “filled with bitter criticism or malice.” There is no malice in what I have said, just a statement of fact.

There is criticism but not bitter criticism. Just factual sharing of the experiences we have had over the past 20 years in France and in particular the experiences we have had when dealing with French bureaucracy while trying to get our CdSs over the past few years.

I live in France because I choose to, it is where my ancestors came from.

But Nothing is perfect, not living in France, living in the UK or anywhere else for that matter.

Grahame Pigney

P Help save paper - please don’t print this email unless you really need to.
P Sauvegardons la planète. Avez-vous vraiment besoin d’imprimer cet e-mail?

People might find this useful
https://brexit.gouv.fr/sites/brexit/accueil/vous-etes-britannique-en.html
Click on sub headings for info.
They told me it was the S1 which defined residence. The local “Impots” werent interested unless I had already got my S!.

But not everyone is entitled to an S1… so that could put the mockers on things…

If one is not entitled to S1… using the thinking of your Local Impots folk… that person is not resident and following that… need never make a Declaration… ??? mmmm… no, I don’t think that would work out…

sounds a bit iffy to me… possibly a misunderstanding in the translation… :roll_eyes: :wink: