Wood burner hazards

I’ll check it tomorrow… and report back… :wink: :wink:

1 Like

If the article made a coherent argument with appropriate data then there would be fewer suggestions of spinning factoids and more serious discussion about the risks and mitigations.

1 Like

I agree that the Guardian is frustrating as being only the least bad newspaper (although Rafael Behr is a gem) — I greatly mourn the Independent as it was in its early pre-KGB ownership days…!

My comments were also I concede not very helpful as there is no easy answer for those who have no alternative.

1 Like

I think I still have a copy somewhere of the Independent’s first edition. It is now a shadow of its former self.

But Mrs P and I have a subscription for the puzzles. I’m finding its obsession with trivia increasingly difficult.

At @DrMarkH’s suggestion, I’m exploring the NYT.

I think it’s good for newspapers to campaign on issues, @cogarch: I think we’re probably agreed on that. Indeed, I suspect we’d agree that it’s okay for a newspaper to campaign on something we personally disagree with.

What I find disingenuous is when they pretend they are merely reporting facts.

2 Likes

I agree about the NYT (and also their Daily podcast which is the ‘gold standard’ in my eyes)…For anyone wanting to dip their toes into the NYT without paying, the full front page of the actual paper can be downloaded as a free pdf everyday. Just click on the ‘Enlarge this image’ box…The only problem is the US media habit of continuing articles onto other pages, which means you only get a portion of the story if it’s a long one!

1 Like

Not just a US problem, its the “new” super annoying way of things. I believe they can pack in more adverts that they get paid for.
Just Stop Advertising.

1 Like

If was just a bit of smoke from wood burners…

as he says… “without proper ventilation…” problems arise…

Not round here in SW 24

So true, the tiny contribution from wood burners compared to the rest of mankind’s output.

This is a bit of OTT journalism but I suspect thats intentional to make people sit up and listen. For example, PM2.5 particle size at 2,500 nanometres (nm), while nanoparticles are 100nm or below. As he stated early on, likewise the use of photos that are not of the actual scenes he is talking about. Photos of the now commonplace surgical masks that will do absolutely nothing to prevent the wearer breathing in particulates of all sizes.

1 Like

Whilst this is true ALL emissions create an impact. OK, we’re unlikely to get to zero emissions of everything, but the point is that we should all be reducing whatever possibilities we can, as everything adds up.

Emissions from wood burning have always been a bit of a debate as the CO₂ released is “modern” i.e. captured from the recent biosphere as opposed to the ancient stuff that was locked underground from a previous era.

The argument goes that burning wood is only recycling the present atmosphere as the CO₂ is, theoretically, turned back to oxygen by more plant & tree growth so there is no net gain.

However, as we’ve cut down too much forest & also added s***loads of ancient fossil CO₂ it makes no sense to add any more, regardless of source. Yes, wood & plant matter will die & decompose but that process is a lot slower than torching it.

Equally, trees & plants decomposing do not produce clouds of particles that can be harmful to the health of all living things.

P.S. Before there is any whataboutery regarding forest fires, yes, they are something that occurs naturally, but human interference either by the changes to the climate that we have wrought or by carelessness, bad land management, or malicious intent means that we are seeing more & bigger events than used to be the case.

2 Likes

I generally keep an eye on this site,…
https://www.atmo-nouvelleaquitaine.org

I presume there are similar sites for other parts of France
EDIT: and here it is…
https://www.atmo-france.org/

1 Like

I know you were being metaphorical, but wrapping chips in newspaper is another thing that was banned years ago on “elf and safety” grounds… (1990 - Food Safety Act).

And of course a Brexiteer wanted this repealed on the grounds that it was “EU red tape” :smiley:

Or even worse, by letting an AI bot do the heavy lifting.

1 Like

I totally agree !
All for our own good of course !

1 Like

Time to fire up this discussion, no mention on these newspaper articles on BBQ’s just looking into a new smoker.

Ai following me looking at a new bbq sent this to my attention.

GRILLBOT Automatic Grill Brush for Outdoor Grills - BBQ Brush for Grill Cleaning Kit- BBQ Grill Cleaner Brush– Grill Cleaning Brush BBQ Grill Accessories Tools- Gifts for Men Dad (Red) https://amzn.eu/d/c1t0Ybe

I’ll be interested in how that goes. Decided to clean up my offset smoker and the wire brush went right through the bottom of it. I need to decide whether to replace it try to repair. I can’t complain given that it’s sat outside for the last 25 years.

1 Like

Still contemplating but a gravity fed charcoal smoker looks very interesting. With temperature control and std charcoal they run for hours without attention. Almost ruling out a pellet smoker as auger issues and expensive pellets and not giving the best smoker as they burn too clean apparently. The offsets still seem to win for smoking but need regular attendance.

just wondering about the pollution aspect when one chooses food-smokers… and why “they burn too clean apparently”