Woodworm, Capricorns, Furniture Beetles or Something Else!

To best of my knowledge from a few years French properties should be sold with some sort of certificate to say wood was/is ok or has been treated. Check with the Notaire used on your purchase re certificate, and either him/her or local Mairie office for recommendation of local treatment company and or what to use.

Hi everyone,

Iā€™m sorry to revive such an old post, but there seem to be some very knowledgeable people commenting here, and I have a bit of a problem.

I live in Toulouse and rent out my old apartment in Paris. The new tenant thinks there are termites. He sent me some photos. Iā€™m not sure if I can post them here, but Iā€™ll try.

Anyone know what this might be, and how I can treat it? Itā€™s in the bed and a chair, but the furniture is all wood, as are the floors, so Iā€™m very worried.

Thank you for reading!

Couldnā€™t figure out how to add a photo, so made it my profile picā€¦

Just drag the photo to the compose window or click the upload icon :slight_smile: @Catchyb

@Rob_le_Pest is our resident expert on this subject, need a better photo though I reckon

1 Like

Hi Catherine, Iā€™ve sent you a PM asking for more photos please.

Termites arenā€™t restricted to the warmer southern climes, there is a healthy population in Paris; Parisians with second homes etc.

Hereā€™s a map showing DĆ©partments in France infested with termites. http://www.developpement-durable.gouv.fr/IMG/pdf/Dpts_termites_2016.pdf

From your profile picture (!) one canā€™t see too much. Please send some more by email. I suggest you get a screwdriver; with the handle you can tap the wood to see if itā€™s hollow, or has wood munching insects. You can also use the pointy end to test the hardness of the wood.

Termites can be mistaken for white ants, but under a magnifying glass they are completely different.

Wood will either need to be treated or replaced regardless whether itā€™s woodworm or termite. The latter does more damage quicker!

Rob

1 Like

Thank you both for your help. False alarm, it turns out it was leakage from a hole previous tenants cut into the mattress :frowning: So good and bad newsā€¦

1 Like