Young people finding work in rural France

It sounds as if you'd like to go to university but haven't got the funds to do so, is that what you're saying.

Why not go back to the UK for university? If you're British you'll be able to get the student loans to pay the fee and living expenses.

I'd agree with Tracy about tourist operators, or even in hotels, most hotels are crying out for a fluent English speaker to work among them. I am lucky enough to work in the alps, but then again, I chose this area because it allowed bith I, and my other half to both work in our own fields, without comprimise. I work seasons, in hotels, as restaurant manager/maitre d'hotel, two different hotels over summer and winter season, and the longer I seem to stay here, the more the jobs market seems to open up for me, and I can safely say that I will never have to go knocking, begging for work again, because I literally have that many choices.
I'm not saying to move house, but maybe find out what people in your area need, what makes the area work, especially in tourism, and get into it... if only to get your feet off the ground.

Hi Yazmin,

If you go to the job centre and ask for a course to improve your French they can put you on one there might be a small wait but they do do them but very intensive,also they use INSUP Formation that can offer a course to help you get your CV and application letter to a French standard,but also have you tried the Job agencies eg,Manpower,Adecco,Ranstad etc,these mainly emploi for large bussneses and offer intrim work it will be minimum wage and hard work but for experiance and money can be good although minimum wage sometimes can work out good with overtime,cold work allowance,unsocial hours etc,Many factories emploi women for the work as men in France do not want to do it,sometimes if the company like your work effort they will offer you an extention on a contract or even a full contract (cdi),

The best course I find in French is to socialize Join a club or become a supporter of a local team its not always easy but good luck

There is always a shortage of good cleaners during the summer season for gites it’s not permanent but good money for a short while …good luck…

Job opportunities on the rise are essentially unskilled.

http://www.atlantico.fr/decryptage/cinq-metiers-qui-proposent-plus-offres-emploi-en-france-herve-solus-960485.html

Cleaners, home-helps, cooks, aides-soignants are all areas which are recruiting. The pay is the SMIC or less because of being part-time and contracts are short-term. You may have to move to find a job in the city though. Contact your local 'services à domicile' companies and find out if they need more staff.

I don't understand why you sat A levels if you've been in France for 3 years. Didn't you integrate the French education system? The French don't generally accept foreign qualifications even if they're supposed to, so if you want further education, and want to stay in France, do it in French. L'école de la deuxième chance might be an option for you too.

How about, if it interests you, doing a bit of interior decoration? you could link up with builders???? BUT as David says get to work on your French, so many more doors would open to you;

This is the problem

the French way.

Chris

What qualifications do you already have? What was your A-level in and did you pass it? You may be able to get some extra qualifications via the GRETA (usually based in your local Lycée Professionnel) so check them out, and get your present qualifications validated here as well while you are at it as they will come in useful. The more qualifications you get the more grants etc you are likely to be eligible for via pôle emploi, then you may be able to go for an emploi avenir, for instance.

Apply to the British tour operators they are desperate to find young workers that speak some French. O~K, the pay is not great but they usually offer full board accommodation, a chance to gain valuable real work experience and a great lifestyle for young people.

You sound as if you haven't any qualifications so to be honest, you'll have to start at the bottom and work your way up but without the language/experience or qualifications that is all you can do. I came here many years ago, scrubbed endless toilets, washed mountains of pots and now speak fluent French, run my own business, have bilingual kids. OK, you don't want to know how long it has taken but I had one hell of a good time doing it :-)

You've taken the first step. do the same on Facebook and ask everyone about vacancies - get to a ski resort if you are close enough and knock on doors. Now is the great time to get a job as lots of people find it is harder than they think by January and give up and go home, grab one of those spots and get going. There is always a job for a hard worker if you are young, free and single without responsibilities, go have the time of your life - I know I did.

Have you considered moving to a Country where there are good employment prospects and a future, perhaps Germany, Holland or the UK?

Chris

Well I suppose the first thing to do - if you're not already doing it - is to work hard on improving your french as you say in one sentence that it's not perfect and in another that it's bad. Are there any local "entente cordiale" groups that you could join? If you're going to be jobhunting then it would help if you could hold your own at the jobcentre without needing someone to translate, because obviously whatever sort of job you get you're going to need to be able to communicate with fellow employees and possibly customers.

Obviously another thing is that in this area of France (we're in la Creuse so we know just how few jobs are about) unemployment is higher than the national average at the moment and overall unemployment is (relatively speaking) high.

On the renovation side - as a fellow whose pretty darn useless at any of that sort of thing I don't hold that people would necessarily hire a male instead of a female - it dépends how good you are at whatever it is you'd be doing and how willing a worker you are.

Think of some positive stuff you can do and don't let it get you down too much - it's a bad time for many - the good news is that there's always the odd chance of candy and lollipops - they just don't come automatically!