Art & Design

This Saturday and Sunday, there is the St Mont fête du vin. I will have my stand in front of the main chai. There is also a collection of artists and artisans up in the sale des fêtes. Music, demonstrations, wine tasting (naturally) and a repas at lunchtime.

Debra,

Hello. I started off here registered as a graphic designer. That put me into the 'Profession Libérale' category, along with architects. I was not allowed to register with the Maison des artistes because I was reproducing commercial art (i.e. folders, brochures, posters etc.) for my clients. You'll pay about half the 'cotisations', being with the maison des artists, but will get the same cover. You'd still have to take out a 'mutuelle' insurance to cover the extra percentage on medical care, wherever you go. I now only draw for myself and am beginning to make a living from it, So I may try to move over to the Maison des artists myself.

Hi Neil,

I like the look of the Pau boulevard of art. Is there a contact person for this? I presume one needs public liability insurance (in case someone trips over your tent!) and to be registered fiscally in some way? Or do we artists have some leeway?

By the way, I have exactly the same problem with pricing, so I leave it to my wife, Caroline. She goes too high for my feeling and she thinks I'm giving it away. We normally come out closer to her figure than mine!

Debra, I've been selling my paintings for 45 years and I still find it difficult to put a price on my work. My wife often says my prices are too low and she ran a gallery for 25 years. It's easier when my work is in a gallery as the owner will be a guide but there are very few in this part of France - most of them are owned by artists who only exhibit their own work so I have expos in restaurants and at the vineyard open days which is great fun.

Yes Debra,if you're going to set up as an artist and selling, you'll have to pay into the system.Your french is good? As theres lots of form filling in to go through.

Neil...the best way to set prices for your art is to go to exhibitions, art shows, and check artist's websites on the Internet. Find work that is similar to yours in size and medium. Then price your work in a similar range. Make certain the artists whose work you are viewing are at the same level as you in their careers. Read their resumes and biographies.

Hi Suzy... I am going to be living in Quillan in Langue-Roussillon...or somewhere in that vicinity. Actually, I didn't know about la Maison des Artistes but I will certainly look into it now. I will be joining some arts organizations next month...Art du Pastel en France and, if I am accepted, the Société des Pastellistes de France. I already belong to the Facebook groups and have befriended quite a few French artists.

I find setting a price for my work is the difficult part.

Hi Debra,thanks for the nice words about my painting.I've noticed that selling art also depends on who you know,and if you're already mixing with rich people you can charge higher prices.I think pastel work will go down well here. I don't belong to any art organizations,however when you move here you'll have to sign up with La Maison des Artistes for social charges and cover.I imagine you know about that.Where in France are you going to live?

Hi Suzy... Your watercolor portrait is marvelous. Wonderful brushwork and you captured her expression beautifully. I can see where Paris would be a more difficult market. It seems to be similar to New York where one does much better if one's style is contemporary. Admirers but no buyers is a common experience for artists. Over the years, when I was doing an outdoor art festival nearly every weekend, viewers would gush over my work, take my business card, and then I never heard from them again. Most of my sales are to repeat customers...the few that really are interested in owning original art. And yes, Neil, marketing requires a considerable amount of time that could be spent making art and doing things infinitely more fun than business. But I have lived most of my life off the money I earn selling my art so I understand the importance of the business end of it. I also know how to live frugally. :) However, I know several artists who are earning a very good income marketing their art online. Since I have had a good experience with just a mini step in that direction, I am going to explore it further. Do either of you belong to any French arts organizations/societies?

Thanks Neil....maybe I should move south.!

Great work Suzy -lovely loose style.

In Pau, every first Sunday in the month, on the Boulevard des Pyrenees artists and crafty folk can pitch a tent for 10euros. Here's a picture of ours last year. Great view of the mountains, several bars and restaurants to the rear - and after 8 Sundays I sold one painting but lots of interest.![](upload://94UsPjprBDcFisGz6DofsXgyozb.jpg)

Hi Debra,I like the pastel of the cat and child.I just can't get the hang of pastels.

I produced a demo last year for the magazine Plasir de Peindre.I painted a childs head in watercolour,it was quite a challenge knowing which stages to stop at to photograph,and to write what I was doing and why.The painting was on the front cover.However I have never had any enquiries.I take part in the artists open day each year in my area;there's always much praise but no commissions.I've heard that the French find it pretentious to put portraits of themselves or children on the wall,unlike the Americans and English.So I only sell to friends.I'm exhibiting in Vincennes soon at a hairdressers,(he loves art)which is right on the main street,and by traffic lights,so should get some interest.I'll be showing my watercolours and oils.I'd like to take part in some exhibitions but its at least 300€ a stand.I also heard that Paris is not easy as the market is mostly contemporary art,not figurative,which they see as being dated. Again unlike the States and the UK.

I didn't go ahead unfortunately with International artist article. There is such huge competition on-line (over 13,000 paintings on Artfinder alone) that I cant see there will ever be a chance of making large sales. Having a blog that is updated on a weekly or preferably a daily basis would help I'm sure but I have a lot of other things to do. I sometimes enter the competitions at www.dailypaintworks.com/Contests and post stuff on Pinterest which brought about the sale of 2 of my Pau grand Prix posters to a German man.

I just checked out your Etsy shop. Do you only use it as a link to your web page? It appears you don't actively use it to sell. I also checked out your Artfinder storefront. I have been researching online marketing quite a bit in the last few months. It seems to be a great way to sell art but it does require a fair amount of effort. However, it is easier than hauling a tent, display system, paintings, etc. to outdoor art festivals and I don't have to pay a gallery owner up to 50% in commissions. It also exposes my work to a lot more potential clients than a brick-and-mortar business. So, I am participating in free webinars offered by some art business coaches, reading their books, and re-educating myself on art marketing in order to be successful. When I was in art school, no one would have ever thought art marketing would have taken this turn. Of course, when I was in art school, art marketing wasn't really discussed at all. We were supposed to figure it out on our own, I guess.

In what issue of International Artist was your article published?

I have a few different styles as you may have noticed! Well done on the sale, Hadn't thoght of doing that. I did get a request from international artist magazine to submit a 'how I did that' article so I shot a couple of paintings I was working on as they progressed. I haven't looked at Instagram - I'm on Artfinder and Etsy.

I have looked at your paintings. I especially like your painting, "WHO DID THAT?" I am drawn to the style of the piece and I have a fondness for chickens. I recently sold a painting...the one below, actually...while still in progress when I posted photos of it on facebook. I never sold a work in progress before so I was immensely pleased. Instagram is how a lot of art is being sold now...even very expensive paintings.

Not had much luck online but have sold some prints. I've resolved to make more of an effort! I exhibit in Pau, a city near to us in south west France and in other venues, mainly restaurants and at local shows. Lots of my work at: wwww.idea1.eu