Bookworms

Savage Garden was good, got the other so will try that next. He’s married to a woman whom my hubby went to school with, so we try and plug his books as much as possible. Other books I’ve just read :
Iris and Rosie was very good too, and The Whisperer by Donato Carrisi, a fantastic Italian Thriller. Next up it’s back to Iain Rankin…

Brilliant book and so are his others… enjoy

I’m just starting the reading of ‘Atlantis’ by David Gibbins. If anyone already has read it…

HAven’t read House of the Hanged by Mark Mills - but I have read The Savage Garden and The Information Officer! I enjoyed them both! I think I will have to add H of the H to my next shopping list!!!

If there is one!! When I looked on Amazon there doesn’t seem to be any mention of it! I have also Googled PA and can’t see a third book mentioned anywhere! So perhaps it is just a figment of an enthusiastic imagination!!

We will all have to look out fo rthis third book by PA!

Think the 3rd book may not be published yet - agree read both books and loved them.

just reading the house of the hanged. mark mills, very good

Hi JW - Have read both those by Patricia Atkinson! Loved them! I had a feeling there was a third - but I have searched on Amazon and there doesn’t seem to be so I must have imagined it!! Or I am thinking of somebody else! They aren’t fanciful and they do seem to be written “as it is” rather than “for effect”!!

Have you any of you read The Ripening Sun and La Belle Saison by Patricia Atkinson?
She is a truly inspirational woman and gives you such an insight into the building up and running of a vineyard and her pictures of everyday life in the Dordogne are wonderful

Forgot to say (because I was away) that I finished “The Ninth Life of Louis Drax”!! Clever construction - though frankly it is a very odd book!! I found some elements quite predictable and others a real surprise, and also I felt slightly that it left things hanging a bit! But I would recommend this more than either of the other two that I have just commented on!!!

Earlier in the week I finished “The Suspicions of Mr Whicher” - which I didn’t enjoy as much as I expected!! Rather too “factual” - with quotes from this and that which I didn’t feel added anything to either our knowledge of the characters, or the “plot”. Glad I have now finished both of these two - and I hope to move on to something that I can be a lot more enthusiastic about!!

Have just finished reading Dawn French’s Novel (not her memoirs)- called “A Tiny Bit Marvellous”. It is family life as seen from the different points of view of various members (Harassed Mother, Teenage Daughter, Pretentious Son and very neutral Father) Not going to rave about it as I am not THAT enthusiastic. Quite well written I think (in that it catches each of the idiosyncracies quite well) but perhaps just not really my cup of tea.

Just popping in to say a quick “Hello” to all our lovely new members including Simon O’Corra who joined today, Bob Sivell, Linda Pailthorpe, Karen Sweeting, Anne Sinclair, Liam Burns, Jenny Huysentruyt and Liz Clark. Sorry if i’ve missed anyone out!! It’s lovely to see you all recommending stuff…keep up the good work.

thanks, will look them out at next book swap

If you like Ian Ranin apart from John le Carre try Ken Follet, Dabid Baldacci and James Rollins… all thoroughly enjoyable reads

Just finished an Ian Rankin Book, will continue with him, he’s good

Just noticed this group and had to join, as am terrible book worm, we brouht about 5000 books to france with us and thee number keeps growing, am thrilled that our youngest son is following in my footsteps as he came home after spending hsi frist week at boarding school to say he’d finished all his set books and needed some more “classics” to take back with him next week, he’s busy with Ivanhoe at the moment and I am slowly going back and re-reading Gillian Bradshaws Island of Ghosts…

Just finished listening to Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton, read her Sister book last year - very moving, wonderfully written, and Afterwards read by Flity Williams. Superb

Shantaram. Page 40. A long way to go, could take till Christmas at the rate I’ve been reading…