Brexit - really?

True - I thought people would be able to distinguish between government policy and EU policy, underestimated the appeal of xenophobia, and didn't want to believe the majority of the electorate was as irrational and ignorant as analysts claimed.

I just had a chat with a french couple in the car park who said they thought it was great that the UK voted out and they'd do the same here.Anyone else had a french view?

Funnily enough I've just been chatting to an interior decorator in his 60's whose opinion is that his age group have selfishly cocked it up for the generations to come. He says it makes him feel sick.

Funnily enough I've just been chatting to an interior decorator in his 60's whose opinion is that his age group have selfishly cocked it up for the generations to come. He says it makes him feel sick.

I'm not sure the french actually understand the situation fully;

We asked our Dutch neighbour about the claim that a high percentage of Dutch want out of Europe (a claim made by the brexiteers). She was emphatic in her reply. The Dutch do not want out of Europe, they want out of the Euro which is an entirely different matter.

I think the same is for the french too; the french have always prefered the franc and still do so - indeed, many still work out prices shown in euro and relate it to the franc to establish value for money.

BRICKSHIT

May help the average family to buy home grown/made. Might boost jobs and economy. The UK unemployed is 5% where in France it's nearly 15%. That's full EU integration for you. But I realise that "jobs" is a notion from many years ago for most here...

That's what makes me so cross! I really, really thought people would/could be rational!

Well Marine le Pen is delighted. What an endorsement! With friends like that what could possibly go wrong?

What is?

I think you'll find most of us in Europe aren't massively happy about the price hikes that went with the switch to the € (not for nothing it was/is referred to as the 'teuero' in Germany), however, now we have it and "returning were as tedious as go o'er" (good old Shakespeare, always relevant). I don't think in francs at all or relate € to francs and I'm quite old - my children can't even remember them (indeed when my youngest was born they no longer existed).

If you refer to the "Ancien Franc" (the old Franc, before 1960), that's true. We were all millionaires then. ;-)

My grandmother talked in anciens francs, especially for buying things like cars - but they mean nothing to me at all.

I think the EU will change.

That's true in Italy as well. The Five Star Movement want two euros. One for the rich northern countries and one for the poorer southern countries. Might not have been a bad idea originally except Italy spans both "regions".

Watching it all from the Austrian Alps. For me, the discussion is over now let's deal with it and see what gives in five years.

I think all the various nationalists (extreme & less so) will take it as a massive encouragement and I'm not feeling terribly sanguine about the atmosphere within the EU, I think it's going to become steadily more polarised.

Yes, the carpet-baggers will be rubbing their hands.