Brexit - really?

I had read that but aren't there still interviews, presumably in French?

Just received an email asking me to take part in a poll on whether the UK should stay or leave the EU. Whaaat....Did I miss something?

Sure, loads of little indigenous companies sprouting up ro replace imported goods with cheaper, similar quality local ones staffed with locals. Yes I can see that alright :-) With unemployment at 5% a good pecentage of those are probably unemployable. So immigration controls aren't going to help them too much. But it was nice to have the immigrants to blame.

My ex colleagues and I have probably created more jobs that you've had hot dinners Toby, so I still know what a job is :-) Particularly high value, sustainable jobs. The sort that will sadly be moving out of the UK over the coming years.

Don't blame yourself Véronique, who,would have guessed that there were 17,410,742 gullible, naive people in the UK?

Just saw a typical leave voter being interview on BBC 1. She voted leave because she wants the money saved to go (as was promised) to the NHS. She then added she knew Farage had decommitted on this earlier today. She used the phrase "he'd lied". There's whole load more lies and false promises that the leave voters are going to have to get used to.

Not really 222 polled SFN readers voted to remain, whereas 17,410,742 Brits actually voted to leave.

Madness.

I agree. It all depends IMO on whether Bruxelles can recognise immediately it has an image and credibility problem that can only be addressed by swift and real structual change. If it just arrogantly hunkers down and ignores the messages coming from so many countries the whole show could unravel.

I agree that the analogy was 'tasteless', 'thoughtless'.....but when he said this I didn't make the connection.....so I don't think it was intentional...

I believe that 1st and foremost she was killed by a 'nutcase', who would have run amok and shot someone sooner or later...

Nigel Farage owes his popularity, because he is percieved as telling it like it is and voices the frustrations of alot of ordinary people ,,who would have cheered his 'performances' in the European parliament..

In my book Junkers is awful....and representatives from a couple of other EU countries interviewed today thought he should resign......

My favourite quote of the night was from the eccentric, but likeable (despite his claim of being a 'copper-bottomed member of the Establishment...), calm and reasonable, Jacob Rees-Mogg. (Have you seen him on Have I got News for you'...?), who, when discussing possible sanctions/tariffs that might be applied to the UK if we Brexit,,,,,he thought this unlikely, 'as we are their major customer...and anyway, if the EU, is the sort of club, that if you want to leave it,you get 'kneecapped'...it's not the sort of club you want to belong to in the 1st place...it's a bit like the Mafia'......

It's comforting to call him a 'nutcase' and to forget the fact that he was a Britain First fanatic fired up with righteous patriotic fervour against wishy washy foreigner-loving lefty bleeding hearts - though it is arguable that the two are near synonyms. In any case had he been brown I don't suppose this admittedly nice distinction would have been drawn, he'd just have been a mad-dog fundamentalist murderer wouldn't he.

The point being that thanks to the inflammatory, xenophobic rhetoric churned out by the likes of Britain First plenty of borderline nutters probably thought about taking action and being a hero for the cause, and this one actually did. Otherwise why shout "Britain First" as you murder a legitimately elected representative of the people?

We were looking at moving to the South of France next year. This will certainly have an effect in the short term, and as former no voters for Scottish independence my wife and I are now yes voters come the next indieref. I was smart and bought this years euros early. Wait for the howls as the common man goes his hols with fewer euros in his spends pocket!

People already making fun of it all. I am right with them.

What's that hummas doing hiding in the corner sidling up to the Kerrygold ;-)

I'm visiting the UK, we voted and woke up early to view the results. Up to the last minute before voting we were in 2 minds, whether to vote for our own selfish benefit, that of our kids (younger son's partner is Spanish), our country of birth, our adopted country or any of another dozen arguments. We were surprised by the result but not entirely disappointed. Politicians have received a kick up the backside which may improve democracy throughout the western world, the working man has at last been listened to after years of neglect, "experts" have been challenged and failed to convince the electorate, political heads have started rolling, a precedent has been set and Europe has food for thought.

Of course we now fear for our future wellbeing and prosperity, the UK has indeed taken a leap in the dark, but I did the same when I married, conceived children, resumed work, changed career and employers, moved house, retired and emigrated to France. The hardest knocks came out of the blue, unforeseen and without warning. You can plan just so much, most of life is random luck and the real skill is in making the most of your opportunities. This is what the UK, and the EU must now do.

Finding suitable politicians to steer us all through the changes may be the hardest task of all, but today one thing is sure, blaming everyone involved and complaining that our side didn't win will achieve absolutely nothing: it is time to move on and create the future. There are lots of unknowns. If you feel strongly about any of them then lobby your MPs and MEPs to ensure your voice is heard. I find the thought of change rather exciting, I wonder how we can benefit from it.

HA!

Creme fraiche it is, Creme Fraiche, not the humus... hahahaha

Diana thank you, that sums it up for me as well.

"What is the EU?" is the second top UK question on the EU since the referendum results were officially announced, according to Google Trends

https://twitter.com/GoogleTrends/status/746303118820937728

So for the clever people hoping to break up the EU, They had to google it first. Nice.

Diana, when you took your leap in the dark the only risk was to yourself. The UKs leap affects not only those in the UK but almost everyone else in the world although they didn't have a vote. Poland's currency has taken a dive, for example, & it may recover. If it doesn't that's another whole nation who might not look too kindly on the 51% who voted out, but time will tell.

Mark and the British Government went all the way to the Supreme Court to deny the vote to British citizens who had been living in other countries for more than fifteen years, even though it was a manifesto pledge to restore it.