Brexit - really?

Apart from the bazaar bunch of 'leaders' with their 2 way view.....confused.com and their

great hunger for one week of fame and financial rewards we do have the 'immigrants' who are

voting to deport immigrants. UK belongs to everyone! It embrasses the world with every move it

makes. How and why should it take a step back now!

Claudia, if he's held a UK driving licence in the past and hasn't had it taken off him (or got to the stage where it's expired and he needs a medical in order to renew it), then DVLA will issue a certificate of entitlement. They can't issue a new licence but they issue this certificate, they can't refuse. Maybe they misunderstood and thought you were asking for a replacement licence? Anyway, that is the correct and indeed the only route to getting it sorted, so that's what to pursue.

Apparently over 50% of the electorate do not embrace the world with every move they make.

Those who wish to deport any immigrants are a small minority (not small enough, of course).

Though it is rarely said, most people are looking out for what they consider to be their own personal interests, and I believe that is the case on either side of the fence.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/06/british-pound-sterling-plunges-as-brexit-fears-continue-to-swirl.html

" How and why should it take a step back now !"

The view of the majority of folk who voted 'Leave' in towns like Gt Yarmouth rightly or wrongly, was to stop the erosion of British culture as they see it. They want an end to seemingly injudicious immigration to their town in order to halt the current trend and restore the 'British' way of life . Two thirds of the voters in such a town want to remain British and not be part of an Eastern European mish-mash.

Well Mr Clark the 'mish-mash' began long before I was born!

People were arriving from distant shores and worked at jobs which the British were begining

to feel were beneath them. Out went the trditional hop picking holidays for the family of 2 PLUS 3

which kept Kent happy and eventually the story was told in 'The darling buds of May'.

Poor become richer. The story or life in UK ......where the streets are paved in gold! Possibly gold leaf...but none the less gold.So every one wanted to come to UK!
Slowly the people of England mixed with others, took holidays abroad and understood a little about other

lifestyles.......and marriage was not limited to the old concept which did not accept any kind of relationship with other races or religions.

So we had moved forward.

Now we go backwards and hatred is aroused once more.

For me this about observation, sadness, dissapoitment with the country I was born in.

This is about the question of stability in UK.....the world....perhaps.

For the rest of my time here on the planet....I shall be ok...It is not about me.

I gladly offer my place in any of the four UK countries to any foreigner who no longer wishes to lmive in his/her country of birth.

I made the same choice decades ago.

I just don't understand why anyone would possibly want to live there, except to escape the tragedy caused by illegal wars waged by the UK in a wild-goose-chase for WMD.

I suspect that you did not correctly read the DVLA web site!

To replace your licence you’ll need to:

• be a resident of Great Britain (there’s a different service in Northern Ireland)
  • not be disqualified from driving for any reason
  • pay £20 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Maestro or Delta debit or credit card
  • have a valid UK passport or other form of identity
  • provide addresses where you’ve lived for the last 3 years

Provide your driving licence number and National Insurance number if you know them.

Uk documents are not usually sent to non UK residents which I suspect is what you wanted them to do.

This is common to ALL EU member states. The french will not send a french licence to a UK address either but France is definitely a member! Same reason for not being allowed to own a foreign registered car here, the rule for car ownership the world over, for a car of a nationality to be road legal must be a) registered to a person resident in that country, insured by a company registered in that country & be tested in that country - there are a few exceptions but I won't go into detail.

Just seems harsh to decide a country is not EU friendly because it is following EU rules. Try not to lose important documents!

Yes understand Peter. My cousin lives in Lincolnshire and she declares that the polish people have taken the jobs. Not sure if I am prepared to accept her thoughts too easily as her family are all doing the jobs which they are able and capable of doing.....whilst the Polish people are doing something else!

They still have their tea in the evening and their dinner at lunchtime and their pub meals and pies and fish and chips. Fine and dandy but they never set foot across the ocean and listien to Nigel Farage as if he was a god. Like others she declares that her grandchildren will never be able to buy a house....and that is supposed to be realted to the Polish people.....what she needs to remember that before the european Unioun no one in our family.....or our groups of friends did anything other than rent from councils! They were happy enough.....but in this day and age expectations run high and with that brings jelousy and hatred....and racism.

Not everyone has the ability to be a success and we have to recognice our limitations.

Very similar story in the Kent seaside towns. You could walk along Hastings seafront during the week and English would be the minority language being spoken. It's true that many of the Eastern Europeans work hard but many are also a burden. Hastings voted to leave. It may not be right, but I guess it's understandable.

So Brits can only go on holiday in countries with which the UK has trade-deals?

Yes Chris, you've hit the nail on the head. Many Eastern Europeans work very hard to make a go of it but others just sponge off the state, just like many Brits ! The biggest complaint in Gt Yarmouth is the creation of the 'no-go' areas where locals are frightened to wander into East European 'strongholds' in the town. If you look at the local rag on a friday you will see on the 'Court business' section (or whatever it's called) the list of people who went to Court during the previous week. The number of Eastern European names is disproportionately higher than more 'local' names. crime within this community is a problem and the locals are fed up with it. They have complained for years as things have got worse but nothing has been done. I really don't blame them for voting 'Leave'.

Peter, I suppose, should Great Yarmouth have existed at the time it would have refused refuge to the Huguenots and perhaps later the kinder transport and the Free Polish Army coming from France and Eastern Europe.

Jane, Great Yarmouth 'existed' well before the 17th century. Previous to the Huegenots who came to the area after the Edict of Nantes came the Romans who stayed 350 years and then the Anglo Saxons who decided to stay for six centuries, followed by the Norman Conquest. The Huegenots were much valued in Norfolk generally, most of them landing at Great Yarmouth because they were known to be hard workers responsable for digging out the marshlands of Norfolk plus the Fens further to the west for drainage purposes. The Italians arrived shortly after along with Greeks etc. In the 20th century Gt Yarmouth was the herring capital of Europe hence the very large number of Scots in the area. They came down from the Scottish East coast ports for the fishing and many stayed, that's how I met my late wife. Her family settled there in the '50s.

You see Jane anyone 'useful' to the town were accepted (by the community) and allowed to integrate just like the more 'serious' Eastern Europeans arriving since the '80s & '90s. Controlled immigration is acceptable anywhere I would suggest ? Witness the points system required when settling in Australia, NZ, Canada etc etc. That seems to have worked ok for those countries I think.

Diaspora and disproportion ?

In brief: There were an estimated 1.2 million UK-born people living in other EU countries in 2015. Most of them live in Spain, Ireland and France. There were also an estimated 3 million people from other EU countries living in the UK in 2014.

https://fullfact.org/europe/how-many-uk-citizens-live-other-eu-countries/

BREXIT in the real world.
This month my UK State Pension is down by €50.
That would have bought -
A tank of petrol
or a week's food
or 18 bottles of cheap wine.
Thanks very much Messieurs Farage and Johnson and the rest of the 52%, I may soon be back in the UK and moving in to a skip near you!

Correspondence address:
UK Independence Party
The Old Grain Store
Church Lane
Lyminster
BN17 7QJ

Bus. phone: (01903) 885 573

Fax: (01903) 885 574

Email: nigel.farage@europarl.europa.eu

Just for information. Please click on the image

Hi Peter,

I have a particular interest in this period, through family history research revealing links to the Flemish weavers......I think that in fact it wasn't the Hugenots (French protestants) that were responsible for draining the Fens, but the Flemings....see this link...

https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/England_History_of_Huguenots,_Walloons,_Flemish_Religions_(National_Institute)

Interesting stuff HJ, The hugenots were very prevalent in Norfolk and worked on the land. They were known to be very hard working and so very valuable to the local economy.

Other useless facts -

The Italians arrived at the port of Gt Yarmouth centuries ago thinking they had arrived at New York !!

Great Yarmouth is home to a very large Greek Cypriot population, most of whom have always been in the restaurant/hotel industry. I'm only guessing but I reckon the town must have the largest proportion of Greek Cypriots outside of somewhere like London.

My Mothers family were Hugenots, they left France on the first wave, not sure of the date. They were a fishing family and called the DeLaceys and have the distinction of the elder brother being the first person in the UK hung for Insurance fraud. They burnt their boat to the waterline and tried to claim from Loyds for the loss but were caught out.

Or so the story my mother tells me goes.