Carte grise

Mark, I can understand that for the carte grise but do you now have to put the car through the contrôle technique (which would make sense to me) ?

Thanks Mark, can't help thinking that this now begs the question, would they accept German, Spanish, Italian versions etc. as well? Really surprised they have allowed this!

Tarn

It works both ways. Many years ago I met an American in England who was running a battered and totally illegal French registered 2CV, that had been abandoned by a student who didn't think it was worth taking home. The American knew he should do something to regularize the situation, but hadn't found the time to to work out how to go about it. In the meantime, he was untaxed, uninsured and probable unsafe, but was otherwise perfectly respectable and obviously didn't think of himself as a criminal.

Hi Mark, what department are you in?

Chancers Bob its ok until it hits the fan talking to a guy at Carcassonne airport who was in a bit of flap he had been running 4 cars all on UK plates for some considerable time all going great until his son had an accident then it did hit the fan big time he had just a few weeks to re register all his cars as he also ran a hotel using his cars to transport guests to and from the airport.

There are lots of people here living below the radar no one know who they are or where they are all with UK addresses that's why most aren't particularly worried about current legislation going through Parliament now, the right to vote the WFA Tax none affect them one guy here runs a UK car tax insured and MOT in the UK he has only been back twice in 4 years

there seems to be anomallies in the french systems.. i looked into not registering y car here when i arrived 8 yrs ago and tok the option to do it right.. but having been here some timenow i find some weird things are done.. and allowed??.

my friends had an old nissan on uk plates, with French CT AND French insurance,, i often see uk registered cars in supermarket car parks with uk plates, expired tax.. but CT stickers..no insurance ticket.. 8 years on.. and i still can't figure out how they get away with it?.

but doing it right gives the comfort of knowing a roadside tug won't be a problem.

You have to apply to the prefecture of the department you are in, so the easiest way to find out is to take all the required paperwork to either your local Marie or to the prefecture office and they will tell you if a UK MOT is OK or send you away to get a CT.

I have never seen that said before, but it often depends on the prefecture and the interpretation of the staff that work there. This is my take on getting a car registered in th Aude department.

It is indeed true. Today I successfully applied for my carte grise using my English MOT.

Spot on Brian. I have today successfully applied for the carte grise with my English MOT.

They were unwilling until I showed them your link that I had printed out previously. After that, no problems.

Thank you.

I was told the same story in 2009. Maybe five years is recently?

Which law, Brian?

My CT station in Chalais has not accepted converters for the past ten years although I hear from customers that other stations do still allow them.

Knowing how beam converters work I have always preferred to change them. There is a memorial at the side of the road not far from me where a car hit a pedestrian in the early hours. It seems that the driver, a visitor to our shores, heard a bump but thought that she had clipped a small animal so continued her journey. In fact she had hit a local man walking home. Unfortunately he was knocked unconcious into the verge where he froze to death. The headlight pattern was never an issue but I cannot help wondering if it could have been.

I bought a car a few years ago where the previous owner had paid someone to alter the bulb angle in the UK spec headlights with the effect of altering the beam pattern so that they did not dazzle others here. These lights were so poor the light seem to leave the glass & drop to the ground! He paid 30 euros per light for this mod. I bought new ones on ebay.fr for 60 euros per light & could see for miles at night!

Thanks, Tracy. On the other hand the cost of the Coc is less than a year's road tax in the UK so you are still financially better off!

It is the sous-prefecture in Chalon sur Saone, department 71. I did go in but unfortunately i didn't have the number, apparently it begins with an E. She was very apologetic that I would have to get a Coc - 180€ from Peugeot for a 10yr old van -ouch.

I think only the Bonus or Malus changes as the car get’s older John. I had a pleasent surprise last month when I registered a 2012 car and expeced to pay around three K malus but as it was two years old I paid the lower malus pertaining teo years ago minus a percentage reduction for it’s age. A saving of about two K. later That day, while still in a smug glow, I ran over a big stone in another car, burst a tyre and had to fork out 450 euros for two replacements. Still I was up on the day overall.

Not so here in 56. If its your first time go to your Prefecture and ask what is required.

The ‘order’ here is:
CT first ( you have 2 months to carry out repairs or change headlamps if required)
C of C ? Check up , if Secrion K is complete that should suffice, again it’s down to what YOUR pref’ want.
Fiscal papers, thats free and painless here.
Headlamps, check if yours can be manually altered like on Jag XF, you need to remove the headlamp on those. Other newer models it’s just a flick of a switch . Here my current V70 (2004) sailed through on it’s original headlamps… On my older cars I was told by the same CT tech to replace them.
Good luck.

Thanks Mike. It's a car that's perfect for swanning around in the south, immaculate condition and low mileage - aim to use it as a summer car. :-) Useful to know about registering it first in order to get the CT.

Great news for me today! My dealership tells me I have switches on the headlamps to select left hand or right hand drive! Wish I'd known that before (or maybe it's on page 845-odd of the manual)! So people with xenon headlamps would be well-advised to check whether theirs have this functionality.

True, John, a car with a fiscal CV of 5, new on 07/10/2005, would cost 215.50 to register in 16 but the same car in 24 would only cost 186.50. However if it was a UK import you would not need a c of c in 16, thus saving upwards of 170 euros, provided the K number was correct.

There is that variation thing again! The Renault I did a couple of months ago had nothing written in section D2 at all but was still accepted. I had a car in today for a service where the D2 & D21 numbers did not match the type Mines at all, making it difficult to buy the correct parts although this car had been imported with a c of c which should have had the correct numbers on it. I am surprised that the type approval number for the Mitsubishi was not accepted though as it is this number alone which forms the Euro c of c.

I take it that I can add Chateroux to the list of prefectures bucking the Government's system, thus saving us from paying extortionate fees for a document which proves what is easy to check - that a car built for the European market & sold new in that market, still does depite being used in that market!