Carte grise

I wouldn't trust Citroen UK to tell me what day it is

Spot on, cost for registration depends on age of car apparently i believe some makes have a C of C in the vehicle hand book but only what i have been told by Peugeot owner

I know that you are being helpful Mark, but not all V5c have acceptable numbers in line k. The type and variant numbers also have to be correct to be entered on the French system.

In the last 18 months I know of 3 cars being registered at Chateroux (36) prefecture. A 2005 Citroen, a 2006 Peugeot and a 2005 Mitsubishi. All 3 were registered new in UK. The V5c logbooks for the Citroen and the Peugeot were accepted but the numbers on the logbook for the Mitsubishi would not allow it to be registered. It was necessary to get a CofC for the Mitsubishi.

Again different areas different rules. My Sous Refectire cannot deal with 'voitures d’etranger they can only be dealt with at The Prefcture…

Doesn’t the cost of registration vary Mark? Isn’t that why all rental cars seen to be registered in 60?

The CoC says nothing about headlamps Charles and it really says very little about any individual car except for the chassis number. There is no need for any car to be inspected for a CoC. All the manufacturer is stating is that chassis number XYZ conforms to type approval ABC. I’ve got CoCs (either from new or duplicates) for Mercedes RHD, VW RHD, Peugeot LHD, VW LHD, Morgan RHD converted to LHD with no difference and no inspections. If after purchase you have choose to double the engine capacity and fit wings that’s not the Manufactures problem. In your case I think it was Chrysler/Jeep France making up the rules :slight_smile:

BTW, you can even get CoC equivelents for cars produced before CoCs existed through the French Classic car club.

Well done. Citroen were wrong, Xenons do dip though many of them have a setting to dip to eother side. On a Tiguan I have it’s an option on the settings display. Interestingly it says only for temporay use? I’m considering putting LED headlamps (not running lights) into another car and they dip as well so I guess ALL headlamps dip.

Just for info Mark, does that mean a LHD dipping car will pass the MOT?

No different Mark to failing the CT (in my case due to wrong dipping H/Ls) but still being allowed to register the car. It seemed strange to me at the time (2009) but the CT folk told me that up to around that time just stickers over the H/Ls would have been a pass.

BTW, I’ve imported cars from Ireland, the UK (2), Germany and most recently Italy and while all the others went smoothly once I had all the papers, the Italian one was very difficult. There are two Italian log books (?)for each car and after one submits these plus all the other papers the Prefecture takes a week to check them with Italy. The garage in Italy was very helpful but I don’t yhink I’d bother again.

They forgot to mention the Quitas Fiscal. This you get from your regional tax office & proves that no import tax is due. To avoid the need for a separate Cert of conformity you can register your car in a department where they will accept section k on your logbook. To date that is depts 16, 23 & 56. Since registation numbers are issued centrally there is no need to register in your own department.

Howard,

Some modern cars have "bullseye lenses" & some of these (Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes, but not all models) have a lever which moves a metal plate to cut off the kicked up side of the light which illuminates the kerb in domestic use but would illuminate oncoming traffic when used abroad. Not really the best of options as you can no longer see so far down the nearside where pedestrians & cyclists lurk.

For temporary use of a non adjustable headlight abroad you can buy a sticker which does the same thing - try Halfords or the AA online.

The following pictures show an adjustable unit from a BMW. The arrows show where the adjustable levers are & what they do.![](upload://byvOCrDcgFNgVy6CAMexD31YCna.JPG)![](upload://hZJjXEutJP793CtcDU1hqoN5Y5d.JPG)![](upload://1IFNL2KF96ItN5cwXLw2UjACEJy.JPG)![](upload://sXtDUFTHP6VagtncZbA4N56uZ77.JPG)

Having just been to the sous prefecture today I was told the following. You must obtain a certificate of conformity, get your headlights changed, obtain a control technique and then take it with your UK registration document to the prefecture to issue a carte gris. Don't forget your ID, proof of address and funds to pay with! Then once you have a carte gris, go back to a garage and order some plates! Apparently it can take up to a month for the certificate of conformity and remember cars under 4 years old do not need a Control Technique.

I only look on this forum very occasionally. It is amazing to me how so many people believe that their personal experience is the norm for all departments in France.

Paul Clarke's comments on how each prefecture will decipher the rules is very apt.

Most of the comments are about the headlights not allowing the car to pass a CT therefore invalidating the claim that SOME prefectures are accepting an MOT for registration. Have any of you thought of the registration of a car less than 4 years old that does not need a CT. What tests or attestations are called for on a UK car to confirm that such a car conforms to driving on the right.

Therefore accepting a UK MOT less than 6months old is no different to accepting the documentation for a 3.5 year old car.

When I registered my Jeep here 3 years ago I had to purchase a CofC from Chrysler/Jeep France. In order for them to issue the document I had to get an attestation from a Chrysler/Jeep dealer to confirm it had correct headlights, Speedo indicating KPH and position of the rear fog light.

At the time I assumed that this attestation requirement was the norm for all UK cars being imported to France. Having since read a lot about registering UK cars I cannot believe that the French authorities do not demand such a document.

Please explain these adjusters and where I can get them. I have a 2003 Toyota Yaris in UK which I am considering using here for a while but not permanently.

Are there other things to change?

Good Morning

I had the same problem , bought an English car, 12 months MOT, came here and had to have CT and re-register it, so a UK MoT is not valid here, best of luck

George

At last! Thank you to those who are letting us know WHICH prefectures accept section K on a UK logbook.

I will try to build up a list for general publication.

The Service-public.fr site still gives this advice, which not all prefectures are following:-

Justificatifs techniques de conformité

• Pour un véhicule conforme à un type communautaire :

• soit le certificat le spécifiant,

• soit le certificat de conformité européen original (l'original restitué par les autorités du pays où était immatriculé le véhicule ou le duplicata du certificat délivré par le constructeur ou son représentant dans le pays ou la copie du certificat certifiée conforme par les autorités du pays),

• soit une attestation d'identification à un type communautaire ;

Unless your car is 'modern' and can adjust by the flick of a switch ......

^^^^^Thank you Section K on the UK log = type approval . I'm in Mobihan btw

I re-registered my British reg car just over a year ago and can confirm that in La Creuse and they accepted the type approval number on my UK paperwork, five years previously I had to get a certificate for a previous car to be registered in France.

You need a CT (or equivalent from another EU country) in order to register your car, so it is one of the first documents to get before registering. A CT station will need the type approval number either from the UK logbook or from an actual certificate of conformity (we won't go in to older cars here). The fact that it is still on foreign plates will not be an issue. You can complete the process even if your car has failed the CT provided that you register within the 2 month window.