Could you forgive a killer?

God gives me peace. Both in this world and possibly in what is to come.
I am not a Roman Catholic but one of the Popes said that hell is separation from God and I can understand that.
I have had such a personal experience that I cannot deny the existence of Christ and for me He is the bridge between our existence in the here and now and our future.

In Morecambe the teddy boys sewed razor blades into the lapels of their fancy suits.

Norman ,why do you say that you are destroyed already?
Also why do you not accept that the values of others are not worthy of consideration?

Brian has said it exactly. We,hopefully, have not been in this situation. I have had terrible things done to me and I can now say that I forgive them. It has taken me a lot longer and much heart searching snd prayer to come to that conclusion.
I also find no problem in saying that the outcome of acts are evil.Sometimes we do not want to face the fact that certain people can make the lives of others a living hell.

Actually the USA is quite a surprise when you get there. My main acquaintance in NY, mostly the UN Plaza because that is where my ilk gathered. However an English poet friend went to live in Greenwich Village because that's what poets did, so I visited him there a few times whilst in NY, saw other places of course, but the village is nice. Then my oldest friend married a black American cousin of the recently deceased B.B. King and went to live in Memphis, where he still is. Although not the blues fanatic he is I went to see him. Turned into a coupla Souf Lunnerers dahn the pub, wot nobody unnerstood, y'know. The few times I went there I was incredibly well looked after. I have 'performed' at various universities but got out to play a bit. I have not seen that kind of Charleston Deep South I must say. I found all kinds of people in the States, but then it is unlike anywhere else with people just like everywhere else. If you know what I mean...

I hold no torch for the USA but what it has done politically is too often beneath contempt and probably makes its citizens unjustly unwanted by too many people elsewhere.

Norman says he is antediluvian, sounds like a large dinosaur species doesn't it, but he is not really. His whole eight years more than me make me a mere apprentice to his aged noblesse. However, he and I stand fist against fist and differ often enough to be able to withstand each other's onslaught. I have absolute respect for our Norman, even if he is a platitude spotter, or should that be a non-platitude spotter. No matter. He is above all else honest and does not stray from his path. We differ like rival tigers but then I have learned he knows hard core debating as well as I do and getting him off track just ain't done...

;-)

Stupid, reckless, many other adjectives can apply - but it is not murder and it is entirely different from someone who plans and then goes out with deliberate intent to kill.

Unforgivable? I don't know. More easily forgivable I think than a murderer. Perhaps because in the event of an accident any one of us who drives is capable of killing someone or more people with a moment's inattention. But it is an accident and not a plan.

That being said, I would not forgive the person, probably because I'm not a nice person - but I don't condone the death penalty either, or torture, and once the person concerned was behind bars I'd endeavour to forget about them and concentrate on getting on with life rather than giving myself ulcers harbouring a desire for revenge & letting things fester.

75 years and you’ve never been to USA. Hmm.

It is not S. Africa and not Australia, nor is it France or Uk or Germany.

I would not dream of competing with somebody who does not know a platitude, nor will I post my resume to placate or compete with you, although I could.
Allez les Ranteurs

Two and a half years only ???

The justice system is a joke !

What she did really was unforgiveable..

Latest on this: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/obese-driver-who-killed-jogger-is-jailed-despite-claiming-she-s--too-fat-for-prison-092649086.html#CNP3Nvi

At least she might lose some weight while in jail.

100% with you although I have all respect for what other people believe. In fact, the one thing about not practising or holding a belief is the relief of not having that burden. People of faith find it very hard to understand.

No .

I've heard of people like that. It's like they're on some kind of drug. It must be very nice for them, and I'm not being sarcastic. I can't fathom the idea, however, of losing a loved one to a murderer in a situation such as Charleston, and then thinking, "JC has other plans for me". That would make JC one hell of a sadistic puppeteer. I think once many people realize how insane the concept is, they give up on the JC business altogether.

But then there are those who genuinely believe in the redemption in the presence of Jesus Christ. I really do have just one friend/colleague who is entirely that way and nothing in this world gets him. When the Christian charity he worked for folded and put him out of work he simply said that Christ must have another plan for him. That his wife worked for the same NGO and was redundant too, with them having two teenage daughters and being based in SE Asia and so on, he still simply prayed and said that JC meant it to happen and that he would find his way led by his lord... I don't get it, I have tried to understand for a long time, but people of that faith are beyond my comprehension. The thing is, no matter how adverse things are they seem to be happy. Hmmmmm!

At the apero thing we went to last Saturday, a friend who is a gendarme was talking about just that and one of the reasons he is happy to be retiring late next year is because D and D foreigners make their life misery. No, as a non-hunting member of the local hunt (I am one of the look outs for the safety of walkers, drivers and so on...) I am appalled by the number of hunters with high powered weapons, powerful 4x4s (or old wreck white vans) who turn up with hootch, the worse of which is the illegally stilled stuff that would power Mirage fighters. They rarely seem to hit any animals for lack of ability to focus on them yet with guns and vehicles there they are... Words fail. Mind you, there I am up a tower with their guns ever present. Sometimes I wonder where homo sapiens lost the plot?

Robert Mitchum and Roy Orbison aren't that long ago. It's funny to picture them working as bouncers. What did "The Bront" stand for? The closest I can think of is Charles Bronson. I know what you mean by 'gentle giants'. My younger brother worked as a bouncer for a short while. If people only knew that when we were much younger I regularly had to jump in and beat off the bullies who were terrorizing this skinny little boy in the schoolyard.

I repeat then, very few have directly answered Peter's question. More have said what they 'would do'. I am not the arbiter of opinion, I have my own and am not obliged to say who is right or wrong, nor do I, but I am entitled to disagree no matter how strongly I may do so.

Yep, just imagine having that on your conscience Simon..

A close mate and his wife live in the Dordogne. Their income isn't great but they both drink to excess when they go out for a meal and needless to say they D & D. The added problem with them is that their GB registered car isn't insured ! Ive given up trying to convince them of the dangers they pose...

Yep - premeditated. I can never get over the number of 'expats' who drink and willingly drive - seems to be endemic....but that's maybe for another discussion.

No. What makes my blood boil is when killers driving cars under the influence get away with literally murder as the mow people down or smash into them with their weapon of choice, a car etc. Slaps on wrists and short jail sentences just are not enough especially where drink and drugs are involved. Years ago back in the late 70's a local drug dealer in Reading killed a pedestrian on a crossing, with the signal bleeping for crossing, while under the influence no more then 100 yards from where I was standing saying good night to friends. At least he stopped but he and girlfriend were totally out of it. He was speeding in a 30mph built up area. Murder or not?

:-)