Fibromyalgia anyone?

My partner has been a sufferer for ten or so years. She gets regular exercise and eats healthily. The doctor has always prescribed various things to reduce pain which have a limited effect but now the condition is affecting her abdominal area with an inflamed diaphragm not helping. She is ‘lucky’ as her MT is a fellow sufferer so she helps out with things like an annual ‘curé which helps a lot. There are still many MTs who don’t recognize Fibromyalgia as a bone fida condition which must be frustrating for some sufferers.
Are there any sufferers out there with any handy tips ?
My partner gents women relief from acupuncturist and a really good osteopath who works on the central nervous system.

Sympathy, it’s a horrid condition. I don’t have it but have friends who do. You are doing the right thing by focusing on diet and exercise. Have you experimented with eliminating different food groups, as some people report that they are super-sensitive to particular things? Sugar, lactose and gluten seem to be foods that do trigger problems. Also nightshade family of veg.

There is a UK based forum for fibro that may be of interest. Not sure how good it is as I don’t use it, but you could have a look:

@toryroo

Can a Ketogenic Diet Improve Fibromyalgia Symptoms?.

Thanks Jane and John, that’s really helpful.
She had viral hepatitis over Christmas and New Year and has had the diaphragm pains ever since. An MRI scan and ultrasound tests show that all the organs are in good condition so the pain is muscular as first suspected.

I have diaphragm problems which make it very tight. My physio stretches it manually, and I also have breathing exercises to improve its muscle tone. Essentially dropping my head and breathing in, holding the breath for as long as I can, and humming as I breathe out for as long as I can. Which reminds me that I need to start doing them again!

Maybe see a physio as well as an osteopath?

1 Like

Thanks Jane,
She already sees a kine twice each week, the kine has a small pool which really helps her. The doc told her not to stretch up which will provoke the problem.
We are relieved that the scans etc showed no organ damage which means we can concentrate more on the dietary and exercise sides of the problem. (She had the MRI yesterday).
The breathing exercises sound like a great idea.

2 Likes