Good bye Adrian Gill

De mortuis nil nisi bonum so I shan’t say anything about him except that he was good at getting a reaction.

And as a journalist that is a great asset.
What is truly strange is that he did not take the new medication available
privately in order to stay alive in gastronomic London.
I have been informed by a very reliable person that he had declared a very,
very handsome payment for works contributed.
To pay for his life to continue would have been no problem financially.
He never came to us …but most of the other foodie journalists did.

Yes, re journalism.
Re cancer, I think there wasn’t actually much that would have staved off his turning his toes up, he was riddled with it, so treatment would have been debilitating and not actually done any good. Probably not worth being hacked about to gain an extra couple of weeks of existence with no quality of life.

3 Likes

I would enjoy reading about your restaurant visits with your father and Egon Ronay,
Is there enough to publish?
How did they meet?
Intrigued…

1 Like

Not enough to publish I shouldn’t think, also a small child’s uninformed point of view might not* interest anyone !! No idea how they met, I think in those days everyone knew everyone in London, one way or another.

• = definitely wouldn’t

He will be sadly missed, I particularly enjoyed his travelogue articles.

1 Like

I am not a Times reader, it’s too Murdoch for me; however, I did look at A A Gill’s articles. A brilliant writer, with a dry and subtle wit. Also, an incredibly honest man. His articles will be sorely missed, as I am sure he will be.

He was a brilliant writer. If a journalist cannot get a reaction, he/she is a lousy journalist.

It wasn’t the first problem that he had had to overcome in his life and, in this case, he was riddled with cancer. I feel sure that he just wanted it to be over. I respect him for that.

You can’t be a Londoner. I am and have been since the 50’s. For every9one to know everyone would have been a practical and geographic impossibility. Why do you presume that children are uninformed or uninteresting?

I agree with you totally!

A journalist must captivate AND not just because the

subject matter is appealing or sensational.

He did not spare any ones feelings…so thank goodness

he never came to me!
But I did get Fay Maschler and Michael winner on several

occasions.

1 Like

II am a Londoner and have seen almost every thing!0

That is so very funny. I was born in 1950, I grew up in Hampstead, I lived in Hampstead, went to school in Richmond and had a student flat in Putney and I didn’t see 1/100th of it. You must be nearer to being a God than a human to have seen almost everything. Come on, get real!

We seem to agree about some things and disagree, rather vehemently ,about others. That’s not a bad thing :-). You write, “he never came to me” Are you in the food business? I only ask because I had a couple of restaurants in the U.K. and am still cooking now, but in Paris. Small world?

oh yes we were in London W.14 Chinon restarant, before that Perfumed

Conservatory Fulham.

Just before we came here we had Fabouche in Chiswick…a deli/café/Pattiserie

Everything which mattered!

Eel pie Island, Kew Gardens, Michelin star restaurants, egotistic young chefs,

the great, the fakes, the crooks and the cooks.

And it has all gone from Cuisine Nouvelle to molecular with a spell.

Marco and Bruno Loubet worked for me…but that was yesterday and it is all over now.

My band played in Putnry just off the high street and Jimi Hendrix played

bass with the band in A chic club om Margaret steet.

I almost met God once …or twice.

1 Like

I lived in Knightsbridge when I wasn’t away at school and everyone did seem to know everyone in the late 60s and 70s.
I was the small child who went off to restaurants with Egon Ronay and my father and I really don’t think my opinion would be terribly interesting. I think small children can be fairly well-informed though, I was informed enough at 6 to advise people at a neighbouring table not to have Barsac with the fish they had ordered (they thought it was just a ‘normal’ white Bordeaux) and the sommelier backed me up, which vastly amused the adults I was with who had been having their own fascinating conversation.
Where are you cooking in Paris?

I’m now a private chef, with private clients. I live in Montmartre, but we also have a house in Bourgogne. Many years ago, I used to be Head Chef in the 19th but gave it up when I became too tired to do 18-hour days, especially when considering the fact that we changed the menu every single day. Now, I’m too old for restaurant cooking and my life is far more leisurely; I cook for whom I want.

I can promise you that it may have appeared to you that you knew everybody, but you didn’t , “everybody” has a definition- for example, you didn’t know me :slight_smile: London was, and still is, vast.

I remember Egon Ronay as being the oracle of his time, apart from Michelin that is. However, if you want to eat in a really great restaurant, go to L’Ambroisie in Place des Vosges, in the 4th. It ranks among my very favourite restaurants in the whole world. Tell them that Marc and Lyssa recommended that you should eat there.

Bon Appétit

Thank you for the recommendation! I loved l’Archestrate, in Paris, but you probably know it better than I do :wink: oh and I didn’t think I knew everybody, it seemed that everyone knew everyone, nuance - that said, my parents knew an awful lot of people.

It’s been fun chatting to you Véronique, but I now have to work. I hope that the rest of the day is good for you.

On 12 Dec 2016, at 23:37, Véronique Langlands <survivefrance@discoursemail.com> wrote:

veroVéronique LanglandsTeam

December 12

Thank you for the recommendation! I loved l'Archestrate, in Paris, but you probably know it better than I do ![:wink:|20x20](upload://vEg2qXh1PJn73x4ztoFzEuwFPbL.png ":wink:") oh and I didn't think I knew everybody, it seemed that everyone knew everyone, nuance - that said, my parents knew an awful lot of people.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

TiggerMarc Arnall

December 12I’m now a private chef, with private clients. I live in Montmartre, but we also have a house in Bourgogne. Many years ago, I used to be Head Chef in the 19th but gave it up when I became too tired to do 18-hour days, especially when considering the fact that we changed the menu every single day. …

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.