Illegal EDF tax. Have you claimed a refund?

Lettre recommandée avec accusé de réception, going this morning and email sent to them on the EDF website.

Saying? I guess the use of the word 'charming' was sarcastic?!

IF it's true that the consumer can claim the tax back, and IF it's true that the government have to compensate the energy producers for the extra cost of producing 'alternative' energy, EDF won't be any worse off for paying back the tax to consumers. It's tax payers who will suffer.

Well observed. My OH and I have been working on economics for the bit of work we are doing at the moment. She has no training in economics at all so I explained how money grows and in reality never disappears. The Peter to pay Paul principle. In the end she exclaimed that at the end of the day 'what goes round comes round'. That is what will happen here.

So it will probably be as you suspect. The prices will go up for everybody, of course, but whoever does not claim their money will a) be that much worse off by having not claimed and b) will not have the satisfaction of having made the claim and getting what becomes a symbolic amount back. So, because we shall pay for it one way or another we had better get back what we can, if only for the sakes of satisfaction.

Now that I've had a bit of time to absorb this and calculate how much I would be able to claim IF it's true that the whole of the CSPE incl TVA is refundable for up to 2 years, I find I've gone from excited to dubious. My French isn't very good so reading the articles is tricky. It seems to me that the EDF are getting further money from the Gov since the CSPE hasn't raised enough to cover the cost of mandatory procedures (!). If charging this tax to the customers has been deemed illegal, won't they simply raise the electricity prices in order to cover the shortfall? Meanwhile - has anyone actually submitted a claim yet?

Thanks.

Lettre recommandée avec accusé de réception - recorded delivery.

What does the LRAR in the model letter stand for?

yep me too lol would be a nice bit of shopping maybe even new lawnmower for us lol

Ta very, however the new bill is not yet up. We have done the rest of the calculation though and OK because it will cover a big supermarket shop at least :-D

go online all you bills are there, you will need your identifiant good luck

EDF online

Thanks Andrew, since I got home I have been looking for the bills. We just have to wait for one after a reading two weeks ago to see if it is on that and then we will go for it. What you put up is very useful.

Hi all,

I found this aswell (in french) seems that not alot of people know about this so spread the word before they change it to something else

Par Maître Martinet Beunier | 27.02.14 | 11:31

It looks as though it's arguably only the wind generation element that is illegal, but I'm not letting that stand in the way of making a calim for the lot.

If what I've just stated is correct(ish), then the compensation by the State to EDF will increase by the amount of the rebates that EDF will (might) have to pay to consumers, so it'll be taxes that go up, not electricity bills. My brain hurts!

As I said previously, I think the 2 issues are separate. i.e. the state paid EDF etc an amount to compensate them for the increased cost of performing their legal duty to provide energy through 'alternative' methods. The CPSE tax was intended to raise the necessary finance, but didn't, so the state has to make up the difference. Separately, the CPSE appears to have been found to be an illegal tax on consumers (or at least some of it, I still find it a bit unclear whether it's the whole tax or just the wind energy element), for which consumers may or may not be able to claim a refund. There - clear as mud!

So if EDF are being reimbursed by the government - and EDF have been recharging us (the customer) then surely we should should be reimbursed by EDF when they receive their payment? Or am I being presumptuous

Well my last bill in Feb certainly still has the charge on it, so I think this will run and run. There is no way EDF are going to pay this back to everyone it would amount to millions across individuals and businesses............they would have to raise prices again to cover the costs. So they will get us whatever!

Thanks very much for this important post.

It's complicated because I only get one invoice each year for my principal residence, and this year's invoice isn't due until July. Nevertheless, I have identified a total of €261 of CSPE excluding TVA, paid between April 2012 and July 2013 on this account alone, and a further €142 on the maison secondaire account. With TVA this should amount to a claim for around €480.

I take it they won't be charging this tax on the next invoice due in July, but obviously it will be worth checking the bill carefully when it comes.

I'm getting my claim in immediately, just in case they change the law!

Oh bugger it, I think we should bombard EDF with letters anyway. Make them work for their money :D