Is Xenophobia on the rise post Brexit?

Just the odd stir now and then Peter.

"Paddy" is not a deprecating term Jane, even the Irish Prime Minister uses it (but I will conceed he's a amadán). Sure amn't (sic) I a well educated, highly mobile Anglo Paddy meself (sic) :-)

HSBC is only the the start.

Chapeau Andrew, "pragmatician" gets my vote as the best word ever to describe how to deal effectively with French (and mayby all) bureaucrats. The art of knowing when to fight, when to roll over and when to say "sod that for a game of soldiers" and walk away.

When I first lived here in '81 I had to get a Carte de Sejour. I think at that stage of EU development one had the right to work in any EEC (EU, whatever) country but not necessarily the right to reside. So I guess if one was unemployed or a burden on the State one could be, theoretically, chucked out. This theory could now become reality I suppose.

And Hilary you could get one of those lovely horse drawn caravans like the Famous Five used to have. I can see it now "Hilary goes off to Transylvania". You'll need to get a Timmy the dog to keep the pickpockets at bay.

I'm Germany right now and my German family and friends think the brexiteers are completely illogical and self-destructive but there's a bit of impatience as well, here's a quotation from supper last night "let them sink on their own as they're so stupid" (tiny not-at-all-objective poll of 2 lawyers an artist and an engineer)

Bona diminiatsa (phonetic rendering of " bonjour" in Romanian.

Yes Véro, quite a common expression in Great Yarmouth nowadays along with Dzien Dobry in Polish or Zdravo, kako sté in Serbo-Croat...

Still can if you've been here less than five years. There are conditons attached to the right to stay before then.

We all have issues of one description or another Jane, as do I.

I was not being rude but there are rules. I dislike trolling and felt very much like her post was in that category.

I used to enjoy posting on this site but now feel that, once again, the lunatics are running the asylum and if you are not female of a certain age, then your presence is not welcome.

I'll find somewhere else to post in future.

Interesting Debra.

I note you wrote most "intelligent" people are able to discern fact from fiction! 1st there is a difference between intelligence and common sense. 2nd someone else replied here, J Scully I think, saying opinions are best based on academic facts.

I doubt many UK Voters watched the plethora of long interviews / documentaries, news interviewees, most of whom were the 'experts in their own business, scientific or academic fields. Many interviews with with members of public out in street, or sitting in community halls, cafes etc., again most of them were pensioners, who definitely wanted out because of immigration, even though the towns or villages they lived in didn't specifically have problems with immigrants. Again the 'fear factor' spouted by The Tory/UKIP trio prevailed.

Youngsters interviwed were all for Remain! Many mid age interviewees either wanted out to regain 'Control' whilst others wanted us to remain and affect change in EC from within. Sadly before the Vote took place, and immediately afterwards, that did not look likely if you listened to Jean Claude Junckers! The man David Cameron had objected to being elected as President of the EC.

JCJ's aim IS ever stronger Political Union, one of many reasons over years we did not sign up to the Single Euro Currency or the Schengen Agreement. Look at how badly the EC handled the Greek situation last year. The EC Dictatorship was something, the now resigned Greek Finance Minister didnt hesitate to point out during our own Referendum debates.

However, now Daesh/Isis is also taking advantAge of the turmoil the Vote Leave result has wreaked both in UK and mainland Europe. The EC could do well to look at what The UK Parliament has done in the United Kingdom - devolved specific regional powers to the other 3 countries, whilst maintaining overall control of Law and Taxes. That is relatively easier because we all speak the same language, and our culture is overall the same with just the regional differences playing their part.

A United Europe could learn lessons from the United Kingdom's history. We still have a maintained Royal lineage after hundreds and hundreds of years. the EC/EU had 28 member states committed to being part of A European Community/European Union with Free Trade Agreements, partly because perhaps, many of the other member states no longer have their own familiar Royal Families as overall "Heads of State". Yes the EU\EC needs a Parliament - but it needs to be a Democratic one! It's The European Commission, in my view, should be abolished, because it is NOT democratic in any way shape or form! Yes BREXIT vote has, in political terms, opened Pandora's Box!

France sadly, is seeing most of the fallout by way of the upsurge in Terrorism, since the Referendum Manifesto pledge was announced 2/3 years ago, with Sweden and Germany in the frame as targets also. All of which suits Russia!

These are my personal views, not directed solely at you Shelleŷ.

How does one judge a "stupid" or "intelligent" choice, may I ask? We will always judge based on our own opinions. I agree that people on both sides may have voted without due care and attention but this does not warrant them to be labelled as stupid. Frankly some of the comments I have seen here on SFN make me doubt the QI and rationale of certain members!

We find ourselves largely in agreement, Shirley! I absolutely agree that there is a difference between intelligence and common sense - as I used to tell my business manager groups, the trouble with common sense is that it isn't in fact all that common.

As to opinions and facts, only time will tell - like lies and statistics, "facts" are easily manipulated and the scientist part of my brain tells me that nothing is factual until proven beyond reasonable doubt after thorough analysis and cross referencing. Of course, few of us can be completely objective when dealibg with emotive issues such as this one and it is normal for people to react when they feel their core values are being challenged.

Perhaps we can replace stupid with gullible?

In this context I feel it would possibly amount to the same thing - i.e. be intended as an insult / derogatory. I think we should just all accept that people have differing opinions and probably base their decisions on factors unknown or even not understood by others. Let us glory in diversification and the wonder of democracy and look forward to making things work, be that in France or the UK.

I look forward to seeing Parliamentary democracy in action.

I beleive that whatever the percieved facts are/were at the time of the referendum and now, we have to factor in our own natures....whether one is fundamentally an optimist or a pessimist,,,,'a glass half full or a glass half empty' type of person...this is bound to be a factor affecting the vote one way or another...

Or just whether one is just totally stupid or not :-) Many Brexiters IMO shouldn't have been allowed out alone.

Very simple Shelley. Believing the lies of Boris, Gove and Farage IMO marks one out as stupid. Voting without due care and attention on the most important issue to face the UK since WWII would also be an indicator of stupidity IMO.