Is Xenophobia on the rise post Brexit?

Of course there is a difference betwen intelligence and common sense, there is also a difference between those attributes and cunning. I'm not short of the first two but over the years I've noted how pure cunning can trump them both. IMO Gove (and his ghastly wife) and Farage, the poster boys for Brexit are the epitome of the manipulative, cunning, the end jusifies the means types. Personally I'd be ashamed to share any of their views or values.

Sounds good to me.

Don't be like that Graham, hang in. The more views and comments the better. I try and take it all with a pinch of salt :-)

Why is it "Great" Yarmouth Peter, is there a Lesser Yarmouth?

I looked at the cost of living on Romania after Hilary said she was going there, very cheap. I might take a month touring there next year.

I couldn't agree more Véro.

Not my style.....claustrophobic space, (like a canal barge which would be even worse in my book) and I am not overly keen on dogs...I'm a cat person...

No, no, ......It'snot on my bucket list of places to see......I did catch a film about rural life in Romania...featuring families of gypsy origin, living very primitively most of them and some in abject poverty... Everyone was keen on learning playing a musical instrument as that was the way to make some money....here's the link...http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mgxx

Music not great , but it's worth watching because it's educational...If like me you know very little about life there now since Nicolae Ceaușescu....

Fascinating prog about Romania in general (such poverty - and yet I know from a Romanian lodger that they have fanatstic broadband coverage -the best in the world, I think)....

The music they produce now has become distortedby American rap like influences....because there are some super bands who have been making good money, but a gang culture has become strong....there is virtually no work....and music seems to be the only way out of poverty....

The New Gypsy Kings

This World

The BBC's award-winning This World strand goes inside the world of Romania's super-rich Gypsy popstars - a world of fast cars, lavish houses and gangsters.

The Roma community is one of the most marginalised andimpoverished in Europe and for years their traditional music has been their most famous export. Now a new type of Gypsy sound called Manele has swept across the country. Manele stars can earn 20,000 euros a night at opulent weddings, with cash showered over them by guests. Their videos can get millions of hits on YouTube.

But Manele is controversial - some of its lyrics glorify gangsterism and some of its biggest fans are notorious underworld figures. Filmmaker Liviu Tipurita takes us into the heart of this extraordinary world.

Nearly sprayed my screen with spritzer there, John :)

I was going to say the same but I refrained, not sure whether I might be one of those females of a certain age he's referring to, in which case my comment might not be welcome :)

Thank you Debra and John.

Most welcome

Well John at the time of the town charter by King John in the early 13thC there was actually a place called 'Little Yarmouth' nearby. Little Yarmouth eventually became absorbed into Gorleston across the river. The full name is used nationally to distinguish it from Yarmouth IOW though the locals have always called it Yarmouth. Not too much 'Great' about it nowadays as about 10 years ago it was named as the UKs fifth most deprived area !

There you have it John, some totally useless information ! (i'm full of it..)

Hilary Jane I am a 'cat person' too and would not like the limitations of living on a barge

or in a tiny space roaming from place to place each day.

Like you I have no property in UK and no desire to live there in the future.

Still wonder what it is that you feel can be saved from the true traditions of Britain?

Is it church on sunday, christmas lunches with the family, endless cups of tea with neighbours? Borrowing

a cup of sugar?

There were wonderful memories of old England and there were the true situations as in' Cathy come

home' which showed just how little some people had....nothing!

It also showed us how the country was run....no mercy....not enough love and the problem of intergating

with others who are not 'carbon copies 'of ones self.

Then came shelter and joining with the EU.

there.

Mdr!

How can you possibly know if a vote was based on what the politicians said?

As the others say, don't be discouraged by a few who have difficulty with the idea of an open debate. It is important to have divergent views and opinions on here! (I, too, am female and perhaps of a certain age but hope that my mind is not closed to the ideas of others and agree that insults and name-calling have no place here!)

I saw a couple of old women being interviewed who laughingly admitted that they hadn't voted for twenty years but that they had voted Leave.

They could aptly be described as cackling crones in crimplene cardigans, sniggering up their sleeve, "Oh yes, we voted Leave".

Gove, Farage, IDS et al are yesterday's men. Boris is in probation in an important job as a sop to the Leavers.

I totally echo your last sentiment.

The problem with that is that the Brexiteers are taking everyone else with them.

But you would have a wonderful overview of things Hilary Jane.

By the way in the Roma language they are called vardos.

John,...

Well, being a democrat, you are, of course, entitled to express that ......

http://temperamentmatters.com/2012/02/17/temperament-describing-keirseys-idealists-nfs/

Thank you very much Peter.