Oh What A Surprise!

Suckers…

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/government-just-voted-against-investigating-232910413.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=fb

5 Likes

Well, the whole thing is one gigantic farce - which will end up costing everyone dearly
:rage:
Phillip

4 Likes

Simon,

You are behind the times. It was an ‘alternative fact’… :slight_smile:

Would normally like your post, but it feels wrong and it’s so so sad.

Cheers

Martin

2 Likes

what really rankles is all these so-called politicians who vote for Brexit when they don’t believe in it. Only if they vote against it, it would provoke a General Election and most of them would lose their “seats”

It just strikes me that it’s so ironic, that the NHS needs more funding, for our aging population and the the vote for Britexit will probably make it more difficult to run it and fund it.

As you all know, fresh immigration into the UK, has been proved to be a postive net contribution to the Exchequer and also immigrants are the peeps most willing to do the ‘dirty’ jobs in the NHS and other parts of our economy, which some parts of our home grown population, turns their nose up and would not touch it with a barge pole.

It’s going to be interesting times in the UK… :frowning:

Martin

2 Likes

Totally agree Martin. I find it so sad that the NHS was used like a pawn in game of perverse chess in a successful bid to con the electorate. Even sadder is the fact it worked! Game over.

4 Likes

The former United Kingdom.

2 Likes

They could spend some of that money they have saved designing a new flag! Guess it won’t be called a union jack any more.

3 Likes

When we leave the EU we will also leave the system for approval of new drugs. The UK will have to negotiate on its own and as we are only 3% of the world market, that could leave UK patients without new drug breakthroughs for some time.
This question was also raised during the Brexit debate for triggering article 50. Apparently Theresa May looked totally astounded. Obviously this has not been thought about before.

2 Likes

I think May is astounded by most things. She made a complete pigs ear of the Home Office. I thought Cameron was promoted well beyond his pay grade but May trumps Cameron every time.

2 Likes

The truth is that nobody knows what the outcome of Brexit will be. Whether lies were told we will find out when we have left. Personally I think it is the best thing thats happened to Britain for a long time. Britain needed a strong government and a good shake up. The only thing that can destroy the British economy is the remoaners and negative people. Business people will adapt and get on with it very quickly and realise the multitude of opportunities that will open up.
If the Scots had a good strong government instead of the SNP with a totally negative leadership just focused on Independence. They have a wonderful opportunity to sell Scottish products much stronger throughout the world. They should be planning and making friends now. They have this pipe dream of being in the EU, that will never happen. Forget it and go for growth and profit, or moan, complain and sink

1 Like

They don’t seem to agree.

You’re right only Mrs May knows whats in her mind and she will not let on until negotiations are being made, holds her cards tight to her chest, tough lady.

Can’t believe the negative press you read in France, no wonder you expats are always moaning.
Surely there must be some expats in France that have a positive balanced view, is it fear of being thrown out of France, which will never happen or is it this blog that always attracts the same negative people.

Brighten up boys and girls its not the end of the world, just a little change.

1 Like

Wait and see how wrong you are. Sonds like you must read the Guardian.

1 Like

The trouble is that we won’t know till long after my lifetime. Whatever happens Britain will have to endure hard times. The Leave voters believe that their country can regain the World position that Britain once held but without any obvious way to generate the wealth required it’s impossible to see how that will happen. If by some miracle the country does manage to claw its way back up the ladder it will be a slow, hard climb and that will be made even harder without good, energetic, talented immigrant labour getting stuck in and actually doing the work. I hope that you’re much, much younger than me if you are expecting to gloat.

1 Like

Does it matter what paper David Martin reads, as long as he comes to an informed opinion?

Does it mean because you take a different opinion, you must be Daily Mail reader?

Do you need to say ‘remoaners’ as it does not brighten up us 'girls & boys "?

Not sure if you noticed the exchange rate, which effects alot of people who have made their lives in this country?

Also, I’m not an expat but an immigrant to France, as my current right as an EU Citizen, which this advisory referendum, will take away.

Cheers

Martin

1 Like

It sounds as if you don’t live in France yourself Mr Whitnall. I’m afraid I can’t agree with your description of May as a tough lady. Look at her useless record as Home Secretary. Then look at the trio in whom she seems to place her faith. I am not an expat I am a migrant and I don’t meet many other migrants who have that balanced positive view that you hope for. I see a lot of very angry people. Angry at the lies that were told by the Leave campaign (we don’t need the out working of Brexit to see that), angry at other EU citizens being held as hostages in the UK angry at people like you who call us remoaners and for my part angry at your attitude that the UK needs the smack of firm government. I’ve tired long ago of that sort of right wing nonsense.

2 Likes

You should read the NY Times Geoff https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/02/15/opinion/theresa-mays-empire-of-the-mind.html?smid=tw-nytopinion&smtyp=cur&referer

3 Likes

Now then @geof_whitnall - what on earth is your interest in this forum or indeed France? Holidays, holiday home perhaps?

Whatever your connection you’ve clearly demonstrated your utter ignorance of the effects Brexit is having, and will have on migrants in Europe. I won’t go into them as I suspect you don’t give a toss. I too am an immigrant (not an ‘expat’ !!) in France and I wouldn’t expect you to understand how that feels and what that means. After all - I certainly don’t understand your misguided stance.

You really should read the NY Times link above - it may help to enlighten you. And just one more thing - shred your Daily Mail! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

[quote=“geof_whitnall, post:13, topic:14953, full:true”]
You’re right only Mrs May knows whats in her mind and she will not let on until negotiations are being made, holds her cards tight to her chest, tough lady.[/quote]

Frankly I’m not convinced TM knows what’s going to be in her mind tomorrow, not until someone puts it there. She has good qualities and being tough is one of them, but I’m waiting for evidence that she’s the sharpest knife in the European knife-drawer. If only she could get out of King of the Castle mentality, but she only seems to be able to measure success for Britain in terms of how much it will hurt the other countries and how hard she’ll be able to kick them in the teeth.

[quote=“geof_whitnall, post:13, topic:14953, full:true”]
Can’t believe the negative press you read in France, no wonder you expats are always moaning. [/quote]
Certainly there is a lot of negative press in France at the moment but, it’s mostly election frustration and panic about the dire state of the French economy, I haven’t seen Brexit mentioned for a while so I’m not sure exactly what it is that you’re not believing.

Me and several others have posted to the effect that personally we’re not over worried and are waiting to see what happens, however I think you need to realise geoff that expats are in widely different situations, some are dependent on the UK for healthcare / income in sterling, some of us aren’t. Just because I’m not in this position, doesn’t mean I don’t sympathise with those who are. As David GAY says it sounds very much as if you don’t live in France and don’t have a very complete vision of “the bigger picture”. For the record I don’t have an axe to grind for either side, I totally agree with David Martin that only history will tell us whether Brexit was the right decision or not, and history hasn’t been written yet. Last summer I hoped that having set itself a huge challenge England would embrace it eagerly and set about building a future, but the lack of dynamism and general hanging back since then, suggests that it’s bitten off more than it can chew.

2 Likes