On Your Bike

they still are the standard on road bikes :wink:

had presta valves on all my bikes back in the UK 20 years ago too but they were racing bikes !

Thanks very much @Mat_Davies and @an_droo for counsel, the video was particularly helpful as I was a bit timid about fiddling with the valve in case all the air squished out, but now I’ve got it!

I’ve got a new foot-pump from Amazon, and now feel confident to pump it up ! :triumph:

Just make sure you have the right adapter.

I bought one of these which you can clip to the bike:

1 Like

Doesn’t surprise me as the Presta valve has a thinner stem so, presumably, better suited to thinner road bike tyres.

I’m not a terribly enthusiastic cyclist - I do own a bike but it (and all previous bikes) is firmly in VTT territory where, given the chunkier tyres, Schrader seems to be universal.

1 Like

@Mat_Davies :+1:

I bought a similar one at about the same price, but the frame on the MotobĂ©cane doesn’t sport the pre-threaded lugs to allow it to be fixed, so it’ll have to be velcro straps.:slightly_frowning_face:

Took me a week to fix one flat tyre.
Never travel without your ZĂ©fal bombe

Tous les prix incluent la TVA.

10 neufs à partir de 12,00 €

• RĂ©pare et regonfle instantanĂ©ment, sans dĂ©montage de la roue, tous les types de pneus tubeless ou standard avec chambre
  • Regonflage du pneu aux environs de 2 bar / 30 psi
  • RĂ©pare les crevaisons jusqu’à 2 mm
  • Fourni avec accroche pour vĂ©lo

I know, I know, not the stuff for all you purists/intense enthusiasts

It works.:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Don’t forget your helmet, Peter :bike:

To be sure, Lily @Lily ! :face_with_head_bandage:

I bought one on Amazon and it was marked Large but was only suited to a 5-year old head so is going back.

I still haven’t managed to regonfler les pneus, I think the multipurpose connector is defective as it will not grip the threaded barrel of the valve in an airtight manner, I’ve tried all ways without success, although it’s supposed to fit both Schrader and Presta valves. I’m fed up but at least the bike’s unrideable so my head is safe for the immediate future! :blush:

:biking_man::ok_hand:

:point_up: hello ? is this thread still spinning ?

you’re the first one to touch it for 10 months
 (last post Sep 2019)

I’ve sallied forth several times this summer on my vintage 1960s ‘Motobecane’ roadster.

This season I bought a padded cushion for the saddle, which is the original leather, and like sitting astride a buffalo’s shin bone.

I always think that the ride might well be the end of me, but I can’t resist the sense of easy freedom, the smooth curve of the handlebars, the whisper of the tyres on tarmac. Lots of smiles from pedestrians I pass. Very nostalgic.

2 Likes

Elegant! Does it have gears?

1 Like

@Mike_Kearney: Does it have gears?

No, but fortunately the ride to town doesn’t call for them. My legs, bum and back have always been well muscled, I don’t know why, the rest of me is less so. Luck of the draw, I suppose. :upside_down_face::four_leaf_clover:

I don’t think mine’s as comfortable as yours, Peter, but I make do with it :rofl:

2 Likes

Uploading: IMG_20200617_154556258 (1).jpg

3 Likes

Ooouuuuchhh! :sob:

1 Like

I have just put a Dawes bike sadly into retirement I have had it for more than 20 years (it was/is a Dawes Durango - when I bought it they had the Discovery range but I couldn’t afford them).