PM Theresa May says there will be no attempt to remain inside EU

In Northern Ireland, Alliance, Sinn Fein and SDLP have now asked for a judicial review of Article 50. Second action brought in NI as well as one minister regretting her support to leave.

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/business/alliance-sinn-fein-and-sdlp-in-legal-brexit-challenge-1-7535834

The decision wasn't 'conditional'. Cameron stated a majority of just one would be enough. That's where he shot himself in the foot. Sure, any Act can be overturned but a U turn on this would signal the end of of a proper democracy as I see it. Overturning the wishes of the majority would lead to mayhem, wouldn't it ?

Yes, there'll be mayhem anyway, whether it's in or out. I've not suggested simply ignoring the result but it could open door for debate, select committee, public pressuring their MPs, general election, whatever. Flogging a dead horse, yes, perhaps but stable door's not quite been bolted yet.

Catherine,

Is it just me (?).... or are the rest of you experiencing a wierdly distorted display of the contributions to this discussion on this page.......it's taken on a distinctly 'Alice in Wonderland' appearance - the text is veering further and further over to the right, resulting in a columnar display, withe the left hand margin gettin wider......

It's the reply / reply / reply indents and I agree it really is quite disconcerting. Think if I post again (not this one obviously because I'm replying to you) it'll be a separate post just as a comment, not a specific reply (if you know what I mean - I'm rambling, apologies).

It's too soon to say that it isn't going to be better....

I really believe that in say 10 to 15 yrs time we could well be looking back and thinking...'Thank God (not that I'm a believer), we extricated ourself when we did....'

I totally agree that the system as it stands is almost unusable as I can never find the thread and just give up.

I strongly advise you change the system so that posts are presented in strict time sequence and users can refer to the post by xxxx is they so wish

And accepting that you need ad revenue, the screen is now full of ads I cannot get rid of so the what is left is too small.

James you need to sort this out

Peter

In fifteen years time I will be 84 years old. I hope that it will not take that long for the exchange rate to get better.

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-08-05/british-expats-in-french-town-bring-legal-challenge-to-brexit/

John, if property prices fall so will GP as they have been inextricably linked for 100 years. The economy will nose dive and sterling will plummet. So it will diminish revenue earned there, like pensions which are largely based on property assets. France will become relatively more expensive as a cost of living, depending on where your income is derived from. Property values will never fluctuate as much as in the UK but there may be more demand from those who want to leave an increasingly miserable land! (Former Economics background).

If there is greater demand by people returning to UK it will put up prices. Simples.

10 to 15 years!! Not a problem then. Funny, I don't remember the Leave campaign mentioning that little nugget of information.

I doubt if the number of people returning will be sufficient to move the market Jane.

Only if they ALL decide to move back to West Hampstead or Bootle or Gravesend or wherever John ?

Chris,

I think they have been paying far too much attention to the scaremongers.....There is no likelihood of UK expats losing the right to stay here (Hollande himself has said as much, as well as other people in the know)...it will never happen, so these silly people are wasting their money. What will happen is that there will be a mutual agreement that people will be allowed to remain where they are in the EU & UK...will have acquired rights & access to healthcare. It is simply in nobody's interests to do anything different and I am sure that Teresa May will not accept anything less (and she has indicated as much)...as I've said before, I dread to think of the consequences to any UK government that tries to duck out of Brexit...

As I see it we will not "know" the short term impact on the UK until the economic data for Q2 2017 is published. Until then the data coming out canbe regarded as unreliable noise.

In about 10 to 15 years we will really understand the impact.

In about 100 years historians will be able to take a more realistic perspective.

I do not know if you watched the "Canals" program with Timothy West and Prunella Scales when they visited Venice. They recorded that a few hundred years ago Venice was a major political and military power with a navy that dominated the Med.

I immediately thought of the UK and will we at some time in the future be like Venice, an politically and economically irrelevant but very popular with tourists or will be another Japan and major economic power an etc, an offshore island from a major economic and political power house.

I wonder what the future of the UK will most closely resemble.

Theresa May can say she won't accept this or that until she's blue in the face but ultimately she won't be deciding what gives for UK citizens resident or with second homes in EU countries, and it would be perfectly logical for any government in Spain or France to decree something along the lines of having to sort out your own health care (you will not be covered by France or wherever because it won't be reciprocal) if you aren't employed and earning more than x amount. Or simply that you can't live here unless you earn (earn, not have assets worth as much or more than) at least x per year, and that would apply to partners of the working person as well. I think that would make life very difficult for many people. Or you may have to pay more for non-compulsory education etc because you won't be eligible for grants or loans etc. It won't actually be up to Theresa May to decide and apply what happens to ex-EU citizens within the EU, there is no reason for them to have a different status from that of other non-EU residents. A lot depends on what measures the UK brings in with reference to EU citizens in GB. If nothing changes it rather begs the question 'why Brexit ?'.

I also think that it is a bit facile to say that in 10 or 15 years everything will be fine and dandy but that is ignoring the demographics of British people abroad, many of whom will find themselves confronted by extreme difficulty in old age and who won't be able to comply with rules on work etc.

Thank you, Veronique, because one of the questions that of course will affect me & has been a worry is further education and my being on a low income may affect us both education and health wise. There are people affected by so many different scenarios, circumstances, situations that it's unwise to lump everyone in the retiree pot or those will a bit of money behind them will be fine. What the EU is able to offer will be crucial and, as you say, it's not down to what the UK government simply expects or wants. It's not people living here who are doing the "cherry picking" as John says - it's the UK brexit team leading people to think they'll be able to negotiate that way.

Veronique,

Neither you or I, have a crystal ball to be able to make any pronouncements about this ,.....we are in uncharted waters, but the terms of any Brexit will need to be workable for the UK and the EU...It is not in anyone's interests to have an acrimoneous leaving and much more in everyone's interests to have reciprocal arrangements re healthcare etc...Otherwise, the same treatment could be metered out to the 300,000 plus French people living in the UK.....It wont happen...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/brexit-french-citizens-in-uk_us_576d56b5e4b017b379f5beab

Why Brexit ?....Well we've covered this ground...it's about self-government, self determination, not being drawn into an ever closer Europe, which wont reform (and hasn't been able to audit it's finances for 16 yrs or so, wastes money and is a 'gravy train' for the politicians who work there and is heavily influenced by Corporations in an underhand, back door way, that people are hardly aware of), in which our vote, or attempt to veto, counts for nothing (in all the 28 or so times that we have resorted to using it).....and the ridiculous situation, where a small country like the UK (top of the wish lists for immigrants to settle), cannot control the influx of immigrants to any degree at all, which threatens the very nature of the country....Plenty of good reasons for Brexit, in my and alot of other people's view...

Take a look at the people's comments at the base of this article, to see more of what I mean......

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/2a124826-e9ed-11e5-888e-2eadd5fbc4a4.html

French people in the UK are NOT the same demographic as UK citizens in the rest of the EU, Hilary, and most of them have no intention of making the UK their permanent home either. They are overwhelmingly in London and the SE, working, and in the UK on a short- or long-term TEMPORARY basis ie not retired or living on unearned income, which makes their situation entirely different. UK citizens, many if not most of whom are living on a pension or a low income (if they are working at all) and frequently in the sticks, are not comparable. I don' t know what your job is, for instance, nor even if you live in France full-time, but here in Dordogne I don't know any British people who have professional jobs which would guarantee their right to remain were individual income targets to be required. They mostly seem to be in retirement or scraping a living doing gîtes or gîte changeovers etc and as I spend quite a lot of my time helping them pro bono with translation/interpreting/hand-holding when dealing with admin, I do know what their actual circumstances are.