Radio 4 longwave

Hi folks, I was listening to a discussion about why Radio 4 is still broadcasting on long wave after the announcement that the service was to be shut down on the 1st April, and it was revealed that other users of this service (MI5, submarines?) insisted that the service continues until early June 2025! Huh, my needs as others no doubt in Europe count for nothing! Tried listening using a mobile device? Sound quality is substandard compared with a good quality radio. Meanwhile, on the assumption of the April closure, most shipping forecasts have been moved over (what bad planning! Sack the lot!) to other forms, shame really as I was a keen listener.

According to Peter Hennessy, if the crew aboard the Vanguard submarines determine that the Today programme isn’t broadcast on Radio 4 then they initiate the so-called Doomsday Protocol as it’ll mean the UK no longer exists. The “Letters of Last Resort” will then be followed… Although I wonder if, under Boris Johnson’s premiership, there might have been two sets of contradicting letters written :grin: