Royal photo withdrawn

Intriguing episode this morning after press agencies withdrew the post-op photo of the Princess of Wales because it had been manipulated.

'After its release, the photo was recalled by photo agencies including Associated Press, Agence France-Presse and Reuters, which put out a “kill notice” to halt their distribution of the picture.

“At closer inspection, it appears that the source has manipulated the image,” the AP notice said. A spokesperson for AP told the Telegraph: “The photo shows an inconsistency in the alignment of Princess Charlotte’s left hand.”’

The Palace has refused to comment.

There’s also cropped version of the photo without the hand

What’s going on? AI generated or Photoshopped? But why?

1 Like

it’s a poor attempt at retouching (not AI).

Apparently the photo was taken by William so it’s not a professional job.

My best guess (as a professional photographer myself) is that someone down the distribution chain (e.g. Royal Press office or at AP) decided that Princess Charlotte’s arm looked awkward and decided to “fix” it by cloning out part of her sleeve.

I’m surprised nobody spotted it before it was sent out, it’s quite obvious and clumsily done.

3 Likes

1 Like

Don’t think he should give up his day job…

1 Like

Whether or not HRH is responsable for the edit we cannot know.

The bit I find puzzling is poor little Louis’ right hand

1 Like

Kate is the photographer in that family so maybe she had a go at it…

Storm in a teacup anyway. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The net has been all over the several odd bits of the photo.

I’m surprised they couldn’t find someone to do a better job of retouching the photo but I’m not going to lose sleep over it.

I suspect that no one wanted to point it out, given who did it.

1 Like

The foliage in the background puzzles me. Did she photoshop in a tree with leaves? The trees in my garden are skeletons, not a leaf to be seen. She did that just to pretty-up a family snapshot IMO.

All a fuss over nothing for me. This isn’t an official royal photo - it’s a snapshot in her Twitter/X account.

2 Likes

Quite.

Bad management then, if this is the case.

I’m sure you’ve encountered management before :thinking: :wink:

2 Likes

All looks fine to my uneducated eye :roll_eyes:

Er…do we care?

7 Likes

For heaven’s sake. Food ships are unable to get to children suffering beyond belief, and we are hung up on some fat cat family snapshot!

6 Likes

No

4 Likes

It worries me whenever manipulated or AI generated images appear in the press as apparently genuine documentation of an event. Fake images of Trump interacting with Black voters began circulating the other week and I’m sure the run-up to the US election will generate many more.

1 Like

It has now emerged that the Photoshopping was done by Kate herself, not some Palace minion. :slight_smile:

So no it shouldn’t have slipped through but no big deal really.

Clearly she’s bored sitting at home while she can’t go out and launch ships or visit primary schools.

Maybe I should phone them up and offer her 1-to-1 Photoshop classes. :smiley:

2 Likes

Why no wedding ring?

1 Like

… the plot thickens again… :wink:

What I am curious about, but not seen mentoned, is that all the children have their fingers crossed. Maybe hoping the adjusted picture won’t be spotted.