Son starting CP - what do kids wear to school in France?

Just moved to Martigues area, my 6 year old is starting school on Monday. Can someone tell me what French kids wear to school? It’s warm here but are shorts and t-shirt acceptable at school?

Hello Georgina, I looked it up on the web and shorts are not always appreciated so at least for the first day, best to choose summer trousers and a shirt…to make a good first day impression.
HTHelps,
Anna L

1 Like

In our village school kids wear a mixture of clothing… according to the weather…there is no particular standard… just clean and comfy.

and it is really helpful if the kids wear footwear that they can get themselves in and out of…:relaxed:

1 Like

Thanks a million, I was thinking it should be something smarter than everyday wear. I dont want him looking like the odd one out even though he will be as he has only a few words of French!

Have you already met the teachers … ??

Our school sometimes has children who speak little or no French. I have watched these youngsters go from tongue-tied and nervous… to babbling, happy-go-lucky…:relaxed:

Monday morning, we will be offering our parents/kids soft drinks and biscuits on arrival…we use this is an opportunity for all newbies to meet up. Perhaps your son’s school will be doing something similar…perhaps not… but, whatever, I am sure your son will be just fine.

1 Like

Hi there, our kids were born here and are now 8 and 10…kids wear anything they want. I usually put mine in a nice pair of trousers (not uniform smart) and a nice jumper or long sleeve top…shorts and t shirts in warmer weather but try to have their nicer pairs. I only put them in joggers if i know they’re doing sports but everyone is different. You’ll see what your school is like tomorrow…good luck!

1 Like

Of course little boys can wear shorts without it being at all a smartness/ discipline issue, even in lycée we don’t have a problem with bermuda shorts. I teach in jeans (Lycée).

3 Likes

They wear what ever they like, mine have worn shorts when it’s hot right through école primaire, just like all their classmates, we make no real difference between home and school :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for your input, we did meet the head teacher on friday and she was dressed very casually but she was doing a lot of manual work, boxes, desks and chairs were being moved. I have light long trousers ready for tomorrow and then we can change to shorts rest of week if that seems the norm. You have put a paranoid, overtired, over-thinking mothers mind at rest, thank you!

Shorts!

1 Like

Mmm… well, it is chucking it down today… so nearly all the kids turned up in cover-up mode… jeans, trousers, joggers, leggings… boys and girls, both the same…

Only one non-French this time… little lad with only a few words of French…I introduced him to another lad who looked equally nervous…and they discovered a shared delight in the tasty goodies on offer… it helped to break the ice… :hugs:

Years ago I put on a suite (still had one back then) for a teaching job interview, other half (French) told me to take it off and put my jeans back on which I did, I got the job and haven’t put a suit on since :smiley:

3 Likes

I hope you meant suit, Andrew. I’ve always found a three piece suite difficult to move around on my own. In my Primary School teaching days I never understood why the majority of the male staff wore suits and ties; when you spend a lot of time on your knees and up to your elbows in paint, mud and worse comfortable, easy to wash clothes made so much sense.
Parents often like school uniforms because it cuts out a lot of tension each and every morning as they debate what each of their offspring will be wearing that day. It might be a good idea, once you have a good idea about what the norm is, to have an informal uniform. Separate your child’s clothes into clothes suitable for school and those that are unsuitable. Cut down on the choice and make the mornings straightforward.

3 Likes

Talking of suits (or even suites)…:wink:

Many years ago, we attended our very first New Year’s Eve celebration in the Salle des Fêtes, suitably clad, or so we thought.
We knew no-one … but OH’s evening suit, dress shirt with winged collar, waistcoat resplendent with gold fleurs-de-lys and matching bow tie…caught everyone’s attention.

We felt embarrassed, since our gear was clearly a bit over the top… but no-way…the men examined and admired OH’s outfit…the ladies oohed and aahed…over my sparkly little black dress…and amid much smiling and laughter we enjoyed a wonderful night. :laughing:

1 Like

No suits or sofas on kids or teachers! Saw kids walking past house in shorts so went with shorts and polo shirt and he blended in, apart from the look of terror as he was led to class :-o

3 Likes

Thats a great idea David, thanks. He’s been in uniform the last 2 years so I’m clueless, will designate some clothes as school clothes.

1 Like

“suit”, got it right second time round, must pay more attention when hurridly typing at work :smiley:

1 Like