Stop aux anglicismes - Campagne CSA "Dites-le en français"

years ago when I used to watch Nouvelle Star with the kids, Philippe Manoeuvre was asked to explain 'soul'. He defined it as 'chanter avec du feeling'

I think anglicismes are great, it is such fun, and this is how language evolves, it has always been the case, thank goodness we are no longer all speaking latin or what have you! ;-)

I agree Rachael - words just drift around - from Portuguese to Indian to English (Vindaloo), Indian to French and English (pyjamas, bungalow), French to English (timber, tennis, all ballet moves, the infamous cul de sac and double entendre), English to French (jazz dance moves like 'step, step, shuffle, ball change', faire du stop, and all the rest ...), Arab to French (toubib, bled, cabas, kif kif) ... and that's just off the top of my head

Exactly Richard. My husband is French and between us, and quite naturally and automatically, we have come up with some fabulous new french verbs, words and Franglais phrases that may get passed on to the next generation.

It's definitely a pet hate of mine. People will shout "Yesss", and the chef in the kitchen will tell the waiters "allo, service, oui, la table fifty nine, s'il te plait".
then, if anyone is smart enough to reply in

English, they are lost for words and will swiftly tell you to get lost.
People seem to do this "pour le fun, quoi".... what's so fun about joking around with other peoples' languages? Especially when you display complete ignorance of what any of it actually means.

We joke around with the French language so why shouldn't they do it with English :-)

Do we? I don't. Why would anyone "joke around" with a language they have fluent use of? Apart from puns, which can be quite witty in either language, but the problem is, old school French folk think that it's the foreigner's refusal to ingetrate thaat causes this, and also, the people "joking around" are almost ALWAYS lost for words when they are faced with a full reply in the language they throw around so flippantly.

wanting to be cool is universal; pretentious, moi? ciao! bistro.. par excellence... haute couture.. blah blah

have a look at this film, Tout ce qui brille

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1587877/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

Exactly. What have the Romans ever done for us?

as long as the meaning isn’t modified.
Faire du footing is invented. un planning,
‘Manager’ (prononcé à la française) is unnecessary. The French already have ‘gérer’, 'diriger’
In France I avoid stepping into un dressing or wearing a ‘sweet’, as well as putting my feet into baskets or, worse still,
into ‘sockets’, unless I’ve switched off the electricity first. I don’t fancy having someone named ‘Bob’ on my head either.

Loads I expect, but we didnt ask them to. A little like the American Indians didn’t ask to be invaded either :slight_smile:

Message du 28/10/16 23:00
De : “John Clark”
A : rachael.fillatre@orange.fr
Copie à :
Objet : [Survive France] [Small Talk] Stop aux anglicismes - Campagne CSA “Dites-le en français”

ToujoursDebout53 John Clark

October 28

Exactly. What have the Romans ever done for us?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

Rachael_Fillatre

April 12

I think anglicismes are great, it is such fun, and this is how language evolves, it has always been the case, thank goodness we are no longer all speaking latin or what have you! :wink:

The fact that it is unecessary or silly is all part of the fun! :smiley:

Message du 28/10/16 23:07
De : “John Clark”
A : rachael.fillatre@orange.fr
Copie à :
Objet : [Survive France] [Small Talk] Stop aux anglicismes - Campagne CSA “Dites-le en français”

ToujoursDebout53 John Clark

October 28

as long as the meaning isn’t modified.

Faire du footing is invented. un planning,
‘Manager’ (prononcé à la française) is unnecessary. The French already have ‘gérer’, ‘diriger’
In France I avoid stepping into un dressing or wearing a ‘sweet’, as well as putting my feet into baskets or, worse still,
into ‘sockets’, unless I’ve switched off the electricity first. I don’t fancy having someone named ‘Bob’ on my head either.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

Rachael_Fillatre

April 12

I think anglicismes are great, it is such fun, and this is how language evolves, it has always been the case, thank goodness we are no longer all speaking latin or what have you! :wink: